• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Summer camp superlatives

TenGator1

Gator Fan
http://recruiting.blogs.gatorsports.com/10518/summer-camp-superlatives/

Urban Meyer’s first round of football camp has come to pass and Florida’s coaches got to work out a handful of talented guys.

And I think talent should be rewarded, so here are my camps superlatives. Enjoy!

Most Outstanding Prospect
This one is easy. There was one guy who stood out in every drill and every workout. Oviedo Hagerty quarterback and UF commit Jeff Driskel displayed a great arm and some nice mechanics. Sure, there weren’t linemen or linebackers breathing down his neck, but this was a chance for him to get some tips from UF quarterbacks coach Scot Loeffler. Any time he was advised to change something, he did without hesitation. During one-on-ones he had the most powerful and accurate arm on the field.

Name You Didn’t Know That You Soon Will
Coming into the week I had no idea who Willie Snead was. I had heard of his father playing at UF in the 1980s, but that was it. I watched him Monday thinking he was some big-name wide receiver that I had somehow not heard of. The Muskegon, Mich., Muskegon Heights athlete displayed great route-running skills and burned just about every defender he faced in one-on-ones. He might not have the name at the moment, but that should change the more he camps this summer.

Top Lineman
This one could go to either a defensive or offensive lineman, but the most polished lineman on either side of the ball was easily Dover, Del., offensive lineman Trip Thurman. He dominated defensive linemen during one-on-ones and showed great technique during individual drills. He got a lot of work with UF offensive coordinator Steve Addazio and looked like the most physically impressive lineman prospect.

Golden Cleats
The fastest-looking guy deserves to have his name associated with the great Michael Johnson. Well, maybe not, but it’s still fun. This was a tough one because there is no shortage of speed in the state of Florida. After careful thought I had to go with Jacksonville Trinity Christian running back Andrew Buie. He blew past every defender he went up against and was able to stop and cut in an instant. He’s been clocked at running 4.5 in the 40, but looks much faster than that.

Defensive MVP
This award should go to St. Augustine Pedro Menendez linebacker Tony Steward, but he was slowed by a bad ankle, so he spent most of his time just doing individual drills. The one guy who impressed in everything was Groveland Southlake cornerback Nick Waisome. He only needed to show off one day to prove the he’s one of the top corner prospects in the South. He’s got great speed, good instincts and isn’t intimidated by bigger receivers. He recorded an interception during one-on-ones and was shutting down everyone he faced.

Youngster to Watch
There were a few underclassmen on campus this week, but the one who impressed the most was 2012 receiver Jody Fuller from Monroe, N.C., Sun Valley. When I first saw him I was convinced the he was a rising senior. With a chiseled frame, he looked too big to be an upcoming junior. He ran smooth, crisp routes and was hardly stopped during one-on-ones. He dropped a couple passes here and there, but spent a good amount of time with UF receivers coach Zach Azzanni.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
We have some impressive recruits camping in Gainesville this weekend; based on what I'm seeing on Twitter our coaching staff is pursuing some of the standouts.

Great to see Jeff Driskel had an outstanding camp. I hope he's as enthusiastic about becoming a Gator as Trey Burton was last year, and I hope he'll do his part in encouraging some of his peers to consider UF - one recruit I hope pledges to UF is Timmy Jernigan, in spite of the fact that he didn't participate in the camp.

AK Gator

Gator Fan
Great post TG1! I've said it a few times now, but all of these players just add so much excitement to an off season that it really helps me get through that lull in sports that exists from the end of hockey season until the start of football season.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema