• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SEC Coaches: too crowded?

UFtb

VIP Member
Just read this on ESPN.com:

2. A superstar coach in the SEC will resign/retire.
The league's coaching ranks have become too crowded with A-listers for everyone to survive. Five guys have won national titles: LSU's Les Miles, Florida's Urban Meyer, Alabama's Nick Saban, Tennessee's Phil Fulmer and South Carolina's Steve Spurrier. A sixth (Auburn's Tommy Tuberville) has a 13-0 record on his résumé. Three more (Georgia's Mark Richt, Arkansas' Bobby Petrino and Mississippi's Houston Nutt) have at least one 10-win season. One guy (Kentucky's Rich Brooks) has taken a team to the Rose Bowl. And we haven't even mentioned the league's reigning coach of the year (Mississippi State's Sylvester Croom). That leaves one school -- Vanderbilt, natch -- without a coach who has some big-time bragging rights on his résumé.

Problem is, not all the big winners can win big. And when this season is over, the guess here is that someone will decide (or be convinced) that it's time to get out of the sausage factory. Leading candidates: Fulmer and Spurrier.

What do you think? Is the SEC too crowded with great coaches? No other conference has 5 coaches with national championships.

awebbf5

VIP Member
jim tressel wouldnt make it in the sec,weve seen what happened to him when he plays sec teams,so i think its good with all the good coaches,that way people dont second guess when a sec team wins the natl championship like other conferences.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
jim tressel wouldnt make it in the sec,weve seen what happened to him when he plays sec teams,so i think its good with all the good coaches,that way people dont second guess when a sec team wins the natl championship like other conferences.

I hate Jim Tressel but I disagree. Tressel is a very good coach. If you put him in the SEC, he will thrive, and last year's title would have been his.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I detect a little jealousy on the part of that ESPN writer. The SEC probably has the most talented group of coaches in any major conference heading into this fall, and that can only make our conference a lot tougher. Unless somebody really has a crappy season or SOS decides to finally call it a career after all these years, I don't see any coach leaving anytime soon.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
I detect a little jealousy on the part of that ESPN writer. The SEC probably has the most talented group of coaches in any major conference heading into this fall, and that can only make our conference a lot tougher. Unless somebody really has a crappy season or SOS decides to finally call it a career after all these years, I don't see any coach leaving anytime soon.

I think Rich Brooks might be gone after this year. Of course, that just means Joker Phillips will step in.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I think Rich Brooks might be gone after this year. Of course, that just means Joker Phillips will step in.

His job may have been on the line a few years ago, but since Kentucky's been bowl-eligible the past two seasons (and won against the SOW last year) Brooks managed to buy some time. He did name Joker his successor, and I think he'll become a top-notch head coach down the road.

awebbf5

VIP Member
i live in kentucky and i can tell u they wont get rid of brooks,people love him to much now around here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema