• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rivers commits to Billy Donovan & the Gators

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
Hopefully he plays better than his dad coaches:no:

His dad's team just won a World Championship.

Actually this is one of the best 2011 players in the Nation, maybe the best. He is a big point guard but is actually more of a combo guard to be honest. 6'3" 175lbs with time to grow even bigger. Only question for me is: Will he grow out of the PG position?

That is a possibility. But great pickup.

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
Can't get too excited about this one just yet. The kid just finished his freshman year in high school.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
His dad's team just won a World Championship.

Actually this is one of the best 2011 players in the Nation, maybe the best. He is a big point guard but is actually more of a combo guard to be honest. 6'3" 175lbs with time to grow even bigger. Only question for me is: Will he grow out of the PG position?

That is a possibility. But great pickup.

His dad's coaching had nothing to do with the Celtics winning. I'm sorry but any coach that can lose 19 games in a row with Tracy McGrady on the team isn't very good.

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
His dad's coaching had nothing to do with the Celtics winning. I'm sorry but any coach that can lose 19 games in a row with Tracy McGrady on the team isn't very good.

Pat Riley and the Heat only won 15 games last year. Is he not a very good coach?

Seriously, what you just said is flawed.

Tracy has NEVER won a playoff series. He is way overrated.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
Pat Riley and the Heat only won 15 games last year. Is he not a very good coach?

Seriously, what you just said is flawed.

Tracy has NEVER won a playoff series. He is way overrated.

I think Pat Riley IS overrated as a head coach.

He won with the Lakers with Magic, Kareem and Worthy. Paul Westphal did that too and no one is making him out to be a coaching legend.

Riley could never win it all with New York, even with players like Ewing, Starks and Jackson.

Riley never won it all with Miami until he got Shaq. Even then, that team's foundation was laid by Stan Van Gundy.

This past season was the first REAL success a Doc Rivers coached team has had, and all of a sudden he's a HOF coach. I'm not buying it. I loved Rivers as a player, but he's not a very good coach.

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
I think Pat Riley IS overrated as a head coach.

He won with the Lakers with Magic, Kareem and Worthy. Paul Westphal did that too and no one is making him out to be a coaching legend.

Riley could never win it all with New York, even with players like Ewing, Starks and Jackson.

Riley never won it all with Miami until he got Shaq. Even then, that team's foundation was laid by Stan Van Gundy.

This past season was the first REAL success a Doc Rivers coached team has had, and all of a sudden he's a HOF coach. I'm not buying it. I loved Rivers as a player, but he's not a very good coach.

Riley isn't overrated as a coach. Phil Jackson is, though.

No one said Rivers was a HOF coach. Whoever did should be shot.

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
Plus..it doesn't matter if Rivers is a great coach or not. Fact is, it definitely helps a player become a great player when your father is a coach in the NBA. He can go to his dad and ask for advice. That is such a valuable asset that most kids don't have.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
Riley isn't overrated as a coach. Phil Jackson is, though.

No one said Rivers was a HOF coach. Whoever did should be shot.

See I disagree with you. I think Jackson is a better coach than Riley.

Jackson might be overrated just because some people make him out to be the greatest thing to hit basketball since the backboard. But he is still one of the best.

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
See I disagree with you. I think Jackson is a better coach than Riley.

Jackson might be overrated just because some people make him out to be the greatest thing to hit basketball since the backboard. But he is still one of the best.

Not really.

It took have Jordan (all-time greatest) and Pipper (will be a HOFer) and then having Shaq (in his prime) and a young future HOFer in Bryant in order for him the win 9 Titles as a coach. He HAS to have the best team in order to win. He isn't that great of a coach. All he is great at is managing a team. Knowing who to play and when. Everything else, it was all because he had great players. There was no one that was going to beat the Bulls and No one that was going to beat the Lakers. Pat when he was with the Lakers had to compete against the Larry Bird lead Celtics. And when he won with the Heat, we had a young Wade and a really old Shaq. We weren't even a top 5 time that year.

Say what you want, but the fact this kid has a dad that coaches in the NBA is great for multiple reasons.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
Not really.

It took have Jordan (all-time greatest) and Pipper (will be a HOFer) and then having Shaq (in his prime) and a young future HOFer in Bryant in order for him the win 9 Titles as a coach. He HAS to have the best team in order to win. He isn't that great of a coach. All he is great at is managing a team. Knowing who to play and when. Everything else, it was all because he had great players. There was no one that was going to beat the Bulls and No one that was going to beat the Lakers. Pat when he was with the Lakers had to compete against the Larry Bird lead Celtics. And when he won with the Heat, we had a young Wade and a really old Shaq. We weren't even a top 5 time that year.

Say what you want, but the fact this kid has a dad that coaches in the NBA is great for multiple reasons.

I agree that being Doc Rivers son will help tremendously. I think more so from Rivers playing days tho then a coach.

Now I see wh you are on the Riley train tho. You referred to the Heat as we.:smartass:

I'm a diehard Laker fan, and I have been since I could watch basketball. Riley did absolutely nothing coaching wise during the Showtime years. How hard do you think it would be to tell Magic to grab the rebound, run down court and kick it to an open Byron Scott for 3? Like I said Paul Westphal and Mike Dunleavy both did the same thing and neither are considered all time great coaches.

As for Jackson, you say he's not a good coach b/c all he is great at is managing a team. Knowing who to play and when? That sounds like coaching to me. I think Doug Collins is a better coach than most and he couldn't get it done with a Jordan led Bulls team.

Your Heat won with an outstanding performance by Wade, who was playing out of his mind in the finals and a still very dominant Shaq. Not to mention veteran leadership from the Glove, ZO and Posey.

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
I agree that being Doc Rivers son will help tremendously. I think more so from Rivers playing days tho then a coach.

Now I see wh you are on the Riley train tho. You referred to the Heat as we.:smartass:

I'm a diehard Laker fan, and I have been since I could watch basketball. Riley did absolutely nothing coaching wise during the Showtime years. How hard do you think it would be to tell Magic to grab the rebound, run down court and kick it to an open Byron Scott for 3? Like I said Paul Westphal and Mike Dunleavy both did the same thing and neither are considered all time great coaches.

As for Jackson, you say he's not a good coach b/c all he is great at is managing a team. Knowing who to play and when? That sounds like coaching to me. I think Doug Collins is a better coach than most and he couldn't get it done with a Jordan led Bulls team.

Your Heat won with an outstanding performance by Wade, who was playing out of his mind in the finals and a still very dominant Shaq. Not to mention veteran leadership from the Glove, ZO and Posey.

Very dominant Shaq? He didn't even average 20 points or a double double. Get your facts right.

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
It's pretty obvious you have something against Riley as well as Rivers (maybe since he beat your very overrated Lakers).

But Rivers being a coach helps way more than his days as a player. Being a coaches son is very helpful.

How hard was it for Riley during the Jordan days? He had Jordan during his prime. Jordan was the coach, not Jackson. And how hard was it when he had a 30 and 20 a night guy in Shaq, not to mention Kobe (still overrated but good none the less). You contradict yourself.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
It's pretty obvious you have something against Riley as well as Rivers (maybe since he beat your very overrated Lakers).

But Rivers being a coach helps way more than his days as a player. Being a coaches son is very helpful.

How hard was it for Riley during the Jordan days? He had Jordan during his prime. Jordan was the coach, not Jackson. And how hard was it when he had a 30 and 20 a night guy in Shaq, not to mention Kobe (still overrated but good none the less). You contradict yourself.

OK ur gonna tell me to get my facts right and then call Kobe overrated and Shaq a 30 and 20 guy?

Trust me Shaq was still a dominant presence down low for the Heat that year. I don't recall any opposing player having any kind of impact on the Heat in the low post their championship season.

You just mentioned Riley having a tough time against two different teams coached by........PHIL JACKSON!!

Thank you for making my point for me. I can get back to work now.

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
OK ur gonna tell me to get my facts right and then call Kobe overrated and Shaq a 30 and 20 guy?

Trust me Shaq was still a dominant presence down low for the Heat that year. I don't recall any opposing player having any kind of impact on the Heat in the low post their championship season.

You just mentioned Riley having a tough time against two different teams coached by........PHIL JACKSON!!

Thank you for making my point for me. I can get back to work now.

When you have the better players they can make any coach look better than they really are. Phil needs the best players. Look what happened last year. Celtics won because they had better players than Mr. Jacksons team.

Bottom line: Phil needs to have the best players in the league to win. That happened 9 times but when he doesn't have the players, he gets exposed.

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
Kobe is very overrated, btw. Everyone thinks he is Michael Jordan. Sorry, but he isn't even half the player. Jordan never had a dominant big man, unlike Kobe. Kobe sucks without Shaq.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
Kobe is very overrated, btw. Everyone thinks he is Michael Jordan. Sorry, but he isn't even half the player. Jordan never had a dominant big man, unlike Kobe. Kobe sucks without Shaq.

Kobe won the MVP w/out Shaq.

He also took a team with Smush Parker, Kwame Brown and Luke Walton in the starting lineup to the playoffs.

I'm sorry, but when you say something as ridiculous as "Kobe sucks without Shaq" you lose all validity for any future arguments....

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
Kobe won the MVP w/out Shaq.

He also took a team with Smush Parker, Kwame Brown and Luke Walton in the starting lineup to the playoffs.

I'm sorry, but when you say something as ridiculous as "Kobe sucks without Shaq" you lose all validity for any future arguments....

Won the MVP? Wow.

Of course he won it without Shaq. Without Shaq he can take as many shots as he wants.

I don't give two farts abotu MVP's in the regular season.

What has Kobe WON without Shaq?

Nothing.

Shaq has a ring without Kobe.

Back on topic, this kid is a top 10 player for the 2011 class. Glad he is coming here, even if some people think his dad can't coach.

Dave82689

Gator Fan
interesting

it will be interesting to see if rivers can stand up to the gator image i mean two basketball titles and a football title in one year? i dont know but i guess we will find out

dave

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema