• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Q&A with Chad Bumphis:5 Questions w/ Miss.State receiver

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
Chad Bumphis, a 5-foot-10, 195-pound freshman receiver from Tupelo, Miss., has already accumulated statistics rushing, receiving, passing, punt returning and kick returning, and has four touchdowns (3 receiving, 1 rushing).

You were recruited and offered by handfuls of major college football powers. What were the factors that led you to sign with Mississippi State?
I had my mind made up. I was gone to Florida. That's where I was headed, and that's where I wanted to go. Then my mom said, ‘Wait, just take a little while longer,' and then Coach (Dan) Mullen came here, and that's when I felt at home here. I wanted to play in his offense at Florida, then he comes to Starkville, and I figured I could have the best of both worlds. I could play in his offense, and I could play close to home where my family and friends could come over whenever they wanted.

Do you hear comparisons to Percy Harvin often, and do you aspire to play his role in the Mullen offense?
Percy has always been one of my favorite players. I used to see all of him I could see, and I do get the talk about maybe being compared to him. I have a long way to go, but he is somebody I would like to pattern my game after, because he is so versatile and could do so many things to help an offense, running, catching, returning kicks. I want to be that kind of complete player, and I think I will get that chance in this offense.

What was your first impression of Southeastern Conference football?
The speed of the game. You just don't have any idea until you put the pads on and get in the middle of it. Things move just so fast. There isn't any way to be ready for what you see on the field until you get into it. You can visit practice, or take visits and see games up close, but you don't know what it's like until you are a part of it. Nothing compares to it. On Saturday, everything just runs wide open.

Did you ever imagine a murderer's row of games as a true freshman, with Florida back in the MSU rotation to go along with LSU, Alabama and Ole Miss, and also non-conference games with Georgia Tech and Houston teams that are on upswings?
The huge reason you look at playing in the SEC is because you know you are going to get games like this. Almost every week, you can get embarrassed and I think it makes you practice really hard to try to avoid that. We don't have any time to sit back and admire anything we do, because every time we turn around, we're playing somebody great. But, if you play football, these are the kinds of games you want to be a part of.

What is the best thing you take from a schedule like that?
I think it gives us a close look at what really good teams, like Florida and Alabama, and like LSU look like. Some times you can see that we really aren't that far behind some of the top teams in some of the things we do, and I think every week we get a little better and get some experience about how good football teams handle themselves. We will turn the corner and be among those kinds of teams pretty soon if everybody keeps working hard.
ORIGIN....

sbq80

VIP Member
Smart of him to realise that Mullen was the key to the UF offense success and it was going to follow him to Miss St.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema