• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

MY "Breaking Point"

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OMG...We just (somewhat unexpectedly) found ours--even had it EXCEEDED.
Paul Finebaum just came out with a prediction/analysis/conclusion that was either just a ridiculous "stir the pot"/"S.D.'s" ("ie."Sh*t Disturber's") ultimate bomb drop, OR an example of monumental stupidity, over-the-top even for PAUL:
He actually argues that the circumstances are now falling into place under which Deion Saunders may well be the next Coach of the Florida Gators! INSISTS that this would be "a perfect fit"!
I'm not going to go over the absurdly calm "logic" by which he arrives at this...If you need to inflict that upon yourselves, it is currently quite easy to read all about it, available as it now is with little effort or imagination to find in DETAIL.
I will say only this:
If it were to happen, I swear:
THAT WILL BE IT FOR ME AND CFB.
Period.
Once a big follower and wide-ranging fan, I have over recent years steadily, inexorably lost interest in the NFL, in ALL "broadcast sports" in GENERAL, to be frank and honest.
All I really had left was college sports--then mostly just GATOR sports, then lately less and less even that except of course for Gator Football. I kept the FAITH--more than EVER there, through year after year, failed regime after failed regime.
And YES: I thought, continue to BELIEVE that we finally got the right guy in Billy Napier for the hard work, the patient, long road back to greatness.
It would TAKE a while, I told myself (and anyone who'd listen)--but not only would we GET there, but the TRIP ITSELF would be a whole lot of fun.
I STILL believe that. Given the time, room and patience to do things his way, this was going to eventyally be a successful and totally satisfying experience.
It has to be seen THROUGH, however. Coach HAS to be allowed to do things in his own time, his own way. Did so many folks not realize
there would HAVE to be several down years, some rough seasons before a real TEAM marked by solid, steady play emerged?
Whatever they thought, though, I for one cannot follow that path--the one Finebaum is now pointing down, even LIGHTING THE WAY.
If it comes to it, I tell you all now:
I just cannot envision myself joining THAT "long march to oblivion".
I am sorry to even have to SAY this--to find myself addressing the particular subject. I never thought there'd BE a proposed set of circumstance that could give rise to such a statement from me.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Deion ain't coming to G-Ville. He's not going to coach his alma mater's biggest rival and the school won't hire a Nole. Statler (Finebaum) needs to Shut up.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Finebaum knows how to play to a captive audience. He knows that the Gator fans will overreact to this kind of crazy talk so he puts it out there.

On the other hand, I can think of another hall of fame player/coach who coached a rival against his alma mater--Doug Dickey. South Carolina is not really a rival, but one could throw in Steve Spurrier as a hall of fame player/coach who coached a rival team.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Deion ain't coming to G-Ville. He's not going to coach his alma mater's biggest rival and the school won't hire a Nole. Statler (Finebaum) needs to Shut up.
Finebaum knows how to play to a captive audience. He knows that the Gator fans will overreact to this kind of crazy talk so he puts it out there.

On the other hand, I can think of another hall of fame player/coach who coached a rival against his alma mater--Doug Dickey. South Carolina is not really a rival, but one could throw in Steve Spurrier as a hall of fame player/coach who coached a rival team.
All good points--and hopefully spot on.
And yes, Dicky from S. C. AND Spurrier from the state of Tennessee (which over the decades only ADDED to the latter rivalry: Vols fans from that era saw Spurrier as "native son who betrayed his home state in leaving to PLAY for the Gators, then did it even bigger, AGAIN when he came BACK to us, riding to the rescue as Coach at a crucial moment, only to commence thoroughly haunting them--and MOCKING them the whole while!) are important historical precedents...But as for "Deion unlikely to go up against his Alma Mater", Finebaum claims that on the contrary, Deion would jump at the chance to do JUST THAT. And I have heard elsewhere that Saunders has something of a chip on his shoulder when it comes to HIS alma mater.
I apologize if it sounds like I am OVERreacting; I am well aware of the dangers in appearing to be a part of that kind of unfortunate tendency among too many Gator fans.
I don't mean to add to any of that.
I AM however being honest in my true feelings regarding this latest pile of doo doo:
Outrageous as it is, if it WERE to happen, I'd be gone...Hell I'd probably be LONG gone once they prematurely FIRED Billy and were even discussing the rest, whether publicly or "rumored, behind-the-scenes".
The UN doing of such a monumental mess would take just too long and be too painful.
Just being clear: I want no PART of all that.
Sometimes ya gotta stand up sooner rather than later and SAY, "NO WAY!"

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
By the way:
Outside of Gator commentators and various interviewed former players, the only "online expert" who is unabashedly picking the Gators to WIN IT OUTRIGHT Saturday against Tennessee is Josh Pate.
I like his reasoning, but I myself am less confident, to say the least. From one hour to the next I find my "gut feeling" tightly stretched between hope and dread.
Despite the fact that realistically, we SHOULD only require a strong, clean performance in which we keep things close, hold our own and generally "REPRESENT", on a deeper, emotional level, like ALL Gator fans "I WANT THIS ONE BAD!"
On some level it DOES feel like a "Must Win", if only to shut a whole lot of folks (some of them Gator fans) UP!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
By the way:
Outside of Gator commentators and various interviewed former players, the only "online expert" who is unabashedly picking the Gators to WIN IT OUTRIGHT Saturday against Tennessee is Josh Pate.
I like his reasoning, but I myself am less confident, to say the least. From one hour to the next I find my "gut feeling" tightly stretched between hope and dread.
Despite the fact that realistically, we SHOULD only require a strong, clean performance in which we keep things close, hold our own and generally "REPRESENT", on a deeper, emotional level, like ALL Gator fans "I WANT THIS ONE BAD!"
On some level it DOES feel like a "Must Win", if only to shut a whole lot of folks (some of them Gator fans) UP!
I like Josh Pate. He was at the UF at UT game last year. His analysis is among the best and least biased. That does not mean his prediction is more accurate. I agree with his points: play good fundamental football (only 4 missed tackles per game this year versus 10 last year), get ahead early, burn the clock. That is the identity under Napier.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I like Josh Pate. He was at the UF at UT game last year. His analysis is among the best and least biased. That does not mean his prediction is more accurate. I agree with his points: play good fundamental football (only 4 missed tackles per game this year versus 10 last year), get ahead early, burn the clock. That is the identity under Napier.
Here's hoping...
And re Josh Pate, I like him too--for the same reasons YOU note. He actually responded online some weeks back to what he described as "unfounded accusations of bias from some Gator fans to comments I made which, though critical, were NOT born of any bias or disrespect; On the CONTRARY..." He went on to address those points frankly and straight up.
I made a point to respond to THOSE comments on his YouTube page by specifically distinguishing between "thoughtful, intelligent Gator alumni" and "all too many others who are themselves truly unreasonable and unfair in THEIR impatient analyses, but for their part will not brook the slightest critical eye turned on us by others, no matter HOW specifically well-deserved..." And I went on to grant that "We just have consistently not looked that great, game-by-game play-by-play over recent seasons...No getting around it."

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema