• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Just A Theoretical Grouping of Thoughts

inthestands

Gator Fan
What's up fellow Gator fans? I have a few things that I have been thinking about and would love to get your thoughts. Here we go:

So we saw Urban and the Gator coaching staff come away with a pretty good recruiting class this year, yet we lost a few pretty good recruits to some other teams. Now, I know that we did not have many spots to fill but this does pose some interesting questions. Givin the lack of success of Urban Meyer's former players in the NFL, do you think that will hurt recruiting in the future? I personally thnk that Tim Tebow will be a grwat pro QB, but most people tend to dissagree with me. If he doesn't do well in the pro's, do you think that will do permanent damage to the Gators recruiting in the future?

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
I don't think a lack of success in the NFL for former players hurts a coach's recruiting status. Look at SOS. Most of his players fizzled in the NFL, he still had a mile long line of recruits wanting to come to UF.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Well with the expection of Miami, most players from Florida college don't do well in the NFL if they get picked. Jack Youngblood is the only gator in the NFL hall of fame so far. Though Florida has had running backs that succeed (Anderson, Williams, Smith, Taylor). Also keep in mind that the 2010 NFL Draft should be interesting because not only Tebow, Spikes, Cooper, and other seniors in 2009 but juniors like Wright and Dunlap if they have great seasons especially if the Gators win back to back national titles. The sky is the limit for this team and the players.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
What's up fellow Gator fans? I have a few things that I have been thinking about and would love to get your thoughts. Here we go:

So we saw Urban and the Gator coaching staff come away with a pretty good recruiting class this year, yet we lost a few pretty good recruits to some other teams. Now, I know that we did not have many spots to fill but this does pose some interesting questions. Givin the lack of success of Urban Meyer's former players in the NFL, do you think that will hurt recruiting in the future? I personally thnk that Tim Tebow will be a grwat pro QB, but most people tend to dissagree with me. If he doesn't do well in the pro's, do you think that will do permanent damage to the Gators recruiting in the future?

The way I see it right now, if a player is more interested in playing for a National Championship they're likely to steer toward UF; the reason why we didn't have a full class this year is twofold: first because of the limited number of scholarships available and secondly due to the fact that Coach Meyer wants to try and avoid unnecessary attrition because of lack of playing time. Graduation and focus on the present is stressed at UF; if a player is looking at college football to be just a "stepping-stone" to the pros and likely to make a move after only two or three years, than likely he'll be discouraged form considering UF.

Now that the current class of players has spent their entire playing carrer with Meyer (with some exceptions) and future NFL draft classes will, I expect to see an improvement in how well our Gator alums do in the pros. With the exception of quarterbacks, under the Spurrier years we had some moderate success on both sides of the ball, notably on defense, but under the Zook years that seemed to have dropped off.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema