• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jermaine Cunningham

ilovegators

VIP Member
Gators auditioning new Moss

BY ROBBIE ANDREU
The Gainesville Sun
GAINESVILLE - Come to Florida and be the next Jarvis Moss.

This proved to be a powerful recruiting pitch for the Gators earlier this year, helping UF lure several of the nation's premier pass-rushing defensive end prospects to Gainesville.

But here's a possible revelation for those prospects: The next Jarvis Moss may have already been on campus.

At least Jermaine Cunningham would like to think so.

After being Moss' understudy as a true freshman last season, Cunningham is hoping to win the lead role as the Gators pass-rushing end in 2007.

"Those are some big shoes to fill," Cunningham said. "I'm just trying to get better and help the team and try to fill those shoes."

If, in fact, he does, Moss should receive a huge assist, Cunningham said.

It was the veteran Moss who took the undersized true freshman under his wing last season and shared his knowledge and insight with the rookie into how to play the position.

That's why Cunningham said he is glad he didn't redshirt last season. Even though he saw only limited playing time, being on the varsity team helped him learn valuable lessons from Moss (and defensive line coach Greg Mattison) on an almost a daily basis.

Now, Cunningham appears close to securing a starting role after working with the No. 1 defense throughout the spring.

"Being behind Moss, who is such a great player, I was learning the game from him," Cunningham said. "He helped me a lot. If there was stuff I needed help on or didn't know, he'd show me how to do it, so I got better."

With that experience, Cunningham said he's a much better player now than he was last season.

"I think I'm better on my fundamentals and being able to read blocks and keys better," he said.

He is also bigger and stronger. He's now up to 235 pounds (after playing at about 225 last season) and plans to start the season out at 250, right around the Moss range.

"When I was in high school, none of the tackles were 6-7, 330, like they are here," said Cunningham, who had 27 sacks his senior season at Stephenson High School in Stone Mountain, Ga. "When I first got here, it was a big adjustment. But with the weight program and getting stronger, it makes it a little easier getting used to it."

Cunningham is similar to Moss in more than just size. He also has some of that speed and quickness that made Moss was one of the SEC's best pass rushers.

"Just my speed and my quickness," said Cunningham, when asked to describe his strengths.

Cunningham said he's excited about possibly moving in at Moss' old spot. He's also realistic. He knows he has a long, long way to go before anyone compares him to Moss.

"I need to improve by being more physical and getting my fundamentals down," he said.

With Moss and three other key defensive linemen gone from last year's team, Cunningham and several other young linemen are getting reps and a chance to start establishing themselves this spring.

Cunningham has made progress, UF coach Urban Meyer said.

"Cunningham I didn't like much before spring started," Meyer said. "Ever since the second week of spring, he's really come on a little bit. He'll play next year."

Cunningham seems eager for the opportunity.

"It would be good, just having that feeling that I'm going to help one of the best teams in the nation," he said. "We're really young on defense and we're trying to live up to the expectations."

The defense will become even younger in the fall when four highly rated true freshmen defensive ends enter the fray hoping to become the next Moss.

Cunningham said he will do what he can to help the young guys, just like Moss did for him last season.

"It's pretty hard to play as a true freshman on the defensive line in the SEC," he said. "This is about the fastest conference in the NCAA and the players are bigger and stronger. Your mind has to be trained for it.

"I'm going to help the young guys. We need as much help as possible. The kind of defense we play, the guys on the second team have to be as good as the guys on the first team."

Cunningham is hoping to be one of those guys on the first team. NOTES: The Gators have flip-flopped their offensive tackles, moving senior Phil Trautwein from left tackle to right and senor Carlton Medder from right to left. The possible switch for next season is because UF's starting quarterback, Tim Tebow, is left-handed. That means the right side is his blind side and Trautwein is considered UF's best tackle. "We're playing around with that (switch). We're going to take a look at Trautwein. We have a left-handed quarterback. The last week (of spring practice), you'll see Medder at left and Trautwein at right," Meyer said. ... Meyer said starting defensive end Derrick Harvey and No. 1 tailback Kestahn Moore will undergo sports hernia surgery today. Both are expected to be back a full speed in two or three weeks. ... Meyer said the Gators had one of their best practices of the spring Monday. "As far as energy and enthusiasm and guys going after each other, it was a good day today," he said.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema