• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gators Open SEC Play With A Win

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
It may have been ugly. It might not have been what fans were expecting, but the Florida Gators opened their SEC schedule with a 23-13 win over the Tennessee Volunteers on Saturday in The Swamp. With so much hype going into this game, combined with Urban Meyer's knack for punishing opponents who talk trash, I thought the game would be a massive blowout topped with an embarassing moment for Lane Kiffin. Well, that didn't happen.

The Vols put up a very tough fight on defense. They made our Heisman quarterback Tim Tebow look like just a regular Joe. Tebow was held to only 115 yards passing and 76 yards on the ground. Tim also had a crucial fumble near the Tennessee 5-yard line and an interception to Eric Berry. His streak of conseuctive games with a touchdown pass came to an end. It's safe to say this wasn't one of his best performances.

The play calling on offense seemed completely out of whack. I swear it's like we took all the plays from the Tennessee playbook and ran those. We hardly ran any options, the Gators never threw the ball downfield, Rainey and Demps were never run to the outside. It was just very weird watching them play offense. Didn't look like the Gators we've seen the past 3 years. Could the loss of Dan Mullen be more apparent now?

The defense played well, holding Crompton to only 93 yards passing and intercepting him twice. The Vols ran the ball 32 times, and after watching Crompton throw the ball I know why. The Gator defense did allow their first touchdown of the 2009 season on a Hardesty run. But that's OK, they're still one of the top defenses in the country. It is extremely tough for teams to run or throw on them. I'm not sure this defense will ever give up more than 14 points in a game.

Other game notes:
- Sturgis was 2/2 in field goals
- Rainey had 9 carries for 64 yards
- Demps 4 carries for 31 yards and a touchdown
- Hernandez led the team in receiving with 4 catches for only 26 yards

The Gators are still the No. 1 team in the country.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema