• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gators could add big man for 2016 class, Barry visiting

News Bot

News Bot
The recent dismissal of Travis Ford at Oklahoma State could end up a boon to Florida from a recruiting standpoint.

Gorjok Gak, a 6-foot-11, 215-pound center from Victory Rock Christian School in Bradenton, plans to take an official visit to UF’s campus from April 18-20, according to his high school coach, Loren Jackson.

Gak signed last November with Oklahoma State, but was able to get a release from his LOI when Ford was let go in March. Jackson said Gak’s interest in Florida is high.

“Basically, it came down to Florida and Oklahoma State last fall,” Jackson said. “It’s a good situation for him. He wants to be a Gator.”

Most recruiting websites rate Gak as a three-star prospect, with the website 24.7.com ranking Gak as the 10th-best prospect in Florida. Gak averaged 10.9 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.3 rebounds for Victory Rock this season.

“He’s a versatile player, very similar to I would say, Joakim Noah, in his ability to rebound, block shots,” Jackson said. “He runs the floor like a deer.”

Florida currently has two players signed for its 2016 class — 6-4 guard Eric Hester and 6-8 forward Dontay Bassett. Both attend the same high school (Oldsmar Christian) and both are three-star prospects.

Florida coach Mike White also hasn’t ruled out the possibility of adding transfers this spring. Canyon Barry, a 6-6 guard and son of NBA Hall of Famer Rick Barry, is visiting Florida week, per a report from CBSSports.com’s Jon Rothstein. Barry averaged 19.7 points per game at College of Charleston before sitting out the last two months with a shoulder injury, and would be available to play immediately next season as a graduate transfer.

Another grad transfer who has expressed interest in Florida is Rodney Pryor, a 6-5 shooting guard from Robert Morris. Pryor, a career 36.3 percent 3-point shooter, could fill an important area of need next season.

At his season-ending press conference on Monday, Florida coach Mike White was asked about the in roads he’s made in recruiting in his first year on the job.

“We’re in a much better place,” White said. “Let me backtrack. 2016 was always going to be difficult for us in playing catch-up. I like the two guys we signed early. I like their make-up. They’re proud to be Gators. They’re both tough kids. They’re both very competitive and they both have chances to be good players.

“Who knows with some of these other questions that have been asked. Who knows if he have another signee late or two with the NBA stuff, with the transfer stuff. Eyes and ears continue to be open in ’16, but in ’17 we’re in a much better place than we were a year ago. The seasons has given us time to make some inroads, develop some relationships.

“I think anytime you lose a coach of the stature that we lost in Coach (Billy) Donovan, the initial reaction is that that program is unhealthy now. I think that, not that we set the world on fire this year by any stretch, I think when recruits and parents and coaches were able to see University of Florida basketball, Gator basketball is still healthy. We still put a good product out on the floor. We still have an amazing environment in the O’Dome. This is still a very, very good program. I think through all of the television exposure we have in this league I think people were able to see this is something I could consider, for sure. We’re excited where we are with a bunch of 2017, 2018 young men. We’ve had a bunch of guys on campus. We’ll continue to get people on campus for visits. The University of Florida sells itself. It’s an amazing brandname. It’s an amazing college town. I think a lot of people want to be a part of it.”

Source: GatorSports.com - Hoops Scoop

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema