• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Game Day Thread: Florida @ Georgia - 10/29

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Are you happy with where he has brought us so far? I know we are short a couple of players, I just expected him to have control of the team.....so far I'm not seeing it. Maybe I'm just short sighted, but I just don't see him bringing the program back to the elite status it deserves. Of course I could be wrong....but then so could you.
This is the last reply you will get from me on this one subject you seem to be obsessed with:
Regarding your question (and ignoring the fact that you answered it yourself in your own predictable way, showing once more that you aren't INTERESTED in anyone else's P.O.V.):
(1) For at least the third time, Muschamp didn't bring us here, Meyer & Co. get that honor, if we're interested in settling the question of blame in the first place. To most of us, the only value in identifying that is in understanding exactly what the problems ARE, so that they can be SOLVED. Only the shallow and the scared need some easy scapegoat to point the finger at and incessantly BLAME.
(2) Beyond that, my answer is, "Yes, I am VERY satisfied and excited with where our Head Coach is TAKING us." You see, THAT is what is important to true and thoughtful Gators everywhere. Were we on the right track? No--that's why we NEEDED a new Coach, a whole new staff, a whole new ATTITUDE AND APPROACH. Are we headed in the right direction now? I know it's hard to see, especially for folks who haven't even caught up to where things are at NOW, but though we are currently dealing with the consequences of past mistakes, to me it is clear that yes, Muschamp, Weis & Co. have us on the right path, proper priorities, values, plans and intentions in place to allow us to be great once more.
It'll be a bit more obvious by the Spring, and a LOT more obvious by next Fall. You said something earlier about giving me credit "if he's still around in 4 years"--don't do me any such favors. Feel free to come back and gloat if I'm so wrong in a year or two (my view is that we'll be "good" next year but very young and still inconsistent, and won't make our next Championship run until the year AFTER), but I can really do without your selfish arrogance in the meantime--and suspect I'm not alone in this.

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
WooHoo, I love it. I bet those Dogs thought they were going to come in here to blow us out. Heck we gave it to them, I hope their happy.We looked better. Still penalty problems. The play on Reed with no penalty was bogus when your hit before the ball get's to you.( I think would cause problems catching it.) The play when the GA receiver stopped our DB ran into him was unreal given the missed one on Reed. We just beat ourselves with mistakes. Honestly I will take it with my head held high.

I MIGHT ADD. Coach Boom and Company are doing a great job in working with the mess they got to deal with. Most of the haters are just good time fans from the Tebow days (Their prob. were in their Bulldog snuggie) who know nothing of what being A FLORIDA GATOR really is. I'm Proud of our Players, Proud of our staff I'm looking forward to their coaching for yrs. to come.

LOVE DON'T HATE unless YOUR GATOR BAIT!!!!!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I've been bouncing around, checking out the comments on different sites...between that and the comments on the RUF-stream, it is clear that (not so surprisingly) we have a LOT of Gator fans who, like that "individual" who joined us today and just wouldn't let go of his one obsessive point, just really want, maybe NEED to blame the Top Guy, the Head Coach, for all our troubles.
The rest of it, the Dawgs howling about the "good win" (come ON), the 20-20 hindsight from the TV "experts", is easily dismissed and ignored, but his carping about the Coach, while predictable, is troubling. This is a bigger job than any of us thought: the problems systemic, deeper and more entrenched in the fabric of the team than anyone knew until well into this losing streak. In addition, we have SO MANY injuries at key positions, ones we don't find out about until AFTER the games. This time it was Sturgess and Gillisley that turned out to be hurt coming INTO the game, unbeknownst to anyone but the coaches. Then we had a few more along the way here in the game itself. We need to just SURVIVE this season now; Foley will stand by his Head Coach, and he WILL get his chance to rebuild the team in his own image.
We had NO running game at all. Brantley could do nothing but stand there (he was less mobile than ever with his bad leg) and throw it to receivers that kept dropping crucial passes right in their hands. With all of that, the penalties (14 of 'em!), the usual mistakes and no depth left at ALL, it was all on our defense--who might well have been ABLE to win it IF Rainey and Hammond hadn't made HORRIBLE "unforced errors" at crucial points in the game. With all the mistakes and injuries, even with those terrible give-away TDs, we STILL might have pulled it out if we could have scored a TD there starting at THEIR 26 late in the 3rd qrtr.; instead we had to settle for the FG.
The big project now, all of our hopes and efforts riding on it for this season not to be a COMPLETE disaster and set-back, is to win two more games and get to a bowl...Otherwise, we lose that last 5 weeks or so of practice and eventual play against decent competition--a HUGE set back for us, if it comes to pass.
I don't claim to know enough about the health OR psyche of the various players on our team to confidently recommend to coaches I respect and believe in as to what they ought to do to "fix" what may not be fixable. Take the penalty-problem, for eg.: you gotta believe the coaches are coaching their @$$es off trying to get that solved, but what are you going to do with linemen who keep jumping no matter what you do or say, what drills you run or approach you try to instill in them? What about all those Delay-of-Game penalties? And the outright stupidity of someone like Ronald Powell, right at a most crucial point in the game? What can the coaches do about THAT kind of selfishness, cluelessness, befuddlement and personal lack-of-discipline?
I don't think there's anything for it BUT to GO OUT AND GET NEW GUYS! If we're lucky, there are enough gems, rough or otherwise, among the current roster to act as "cadre" in the forming up of a new look and feel to the whole team, a whole new Gator ATTITUDE and REAL STRENGTH going into NEXT season. All the more reason that getting those 6 wins and a bowl-game extension to our season is so important.
One more thing: I happen to think that at this point, we have to start giving our "Next year's QB" more and more reps and in-game experience, even WITH the six-win mark out there to be grabbed...and I just don't agree with Weis' preference for Brisset. For some reason, he has become "Charlie's guy", and the first clear crack in my confidence on our OC's clarity of thought. I think he is enamored of his "big arm", and hasn't put as much stock in the two freshmen's overall relative mastery of the JOB of quarterback as field-general and team leader as he ought to. Still, I have great respect for his knowledge, skill and insights as an offense-minded coach to really second-guess him--I'm just concerned. The thing that I try to bear in mind is that we can't really fully evaluate ANY of the QBs with the way our WRs continue to perform: they just don't make plays for their QB, go up after the ball. Our defensive secondary is similarly guilty, but they are really young, and that may be coachable, at least to some extent. I'm afraid that when it comes to our WRs, though, this is it, as "good" as they will get, as far as the current crop goes.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
WooHoo, I love it. I bet those Dogs thought they were going to come in here to blow us out. Heck we gave it to them, I hope their happy.We looked better. Still penalty problems. The play on Reed with no penalty was bogus when your hit before the ball get's to you.( I think would cause problems catching it.) The play when the GA receiver stopped our DB ran into him was unreal given the missed one on Reed. We just beat ourselves with mistakes. Honestly I will take it with my head held high.

I MIGHT ADD. Coach Boom and Company are doing a great job in working with the mess they got to deal with. Most of the haters are just good time fans from the Tebow days (Their prob. were in their Bulldog snuggie) who know nothing of what being A FLORIDA GATOR really is. I'm Proud of our Players, Proud of our staff I'm looking forward to their coaching for yrs. to come.

LOVE DON'T HATE unless YOUR GATOR BAIT!!!!!
I really appreciate the way you take the best from an otherwise fiasco and stay UP, Swamp. I've never been able to do that--and I respect those that can. I guess I'm cynical for the classic reason: to protect myself against the pain of my own dented hope and ideals.
I didn't think the Auburn loss could be beaten for painful and frustrated disappointment--but of course I was wrong: this one topped it. The way you could see it coming from the first qrtr on, only the particular details left to be written and experienced before the not-so-merciful end, made it excruciating in a way that even I find difficult to describe, let alone accept.
I am in one dark mood right now--but in the process of (hopefully) gaining a certain "balanced perspective" by facing the realistic problems to be addressed and surmounted, AND opportunities to be seized in the weeks and months ahead.
That, and the very real and hugely important goal still out there of making ourselves bowl-eligible, are what I'll narrow my focus to now.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Bowl eligible.... I just threw up. Vanderbilt almost upset Arkansas. I feel sick watching this team. At least in 1988 I could see those losses coming. We only had one or two good players. Burton, Rainey, Demps, and Brantley are not living up to their potential. If it is injuries, then why are we getting hurt more than any other team in the nation?

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
DRU It is a got to with me if not I will fall into a deep anger that will be hard for me to overcome. No this ISN'T the way I wanted it to be but I don't got no choice but to look for the good out of the UGLY. It was STUPID THINGS that took this win from us. PENALTIES, DROPS, and THE OLE RUN IT UP THE MIDDLE.

The penalties seem to be so hum drum easy to fix. Why they're not fixed I GOT NO CLUE but how can anyone blame the coaches. What more can they do? Did you see how Boom reacts to things he doesn't like in public? (Not very sweet). So can you imagine how it is with no public around. It's got to be pretty rough when in the locker room, in his office, and on the practice field. He is intense. You know there's got to be punishment given out. OK, we should bench them. Well seeing how everyone (including Boom) is wanting ( the monkey off their back ) <A WIN Do you just shoot yourself in the foot by putting someone in who you know isn't going to help the cause? I don't know I wish I did. Replacing from bad to worse wouldn't help IMO.

The dropped passes and fumbles have got to stop to win these type of games. When your a mid level team this is one of the best ways to keep yourself in position to win. I know practice makes perfect but everyone does make mistakes at some point and time. It might be these players are ACES in practice but in game time they might just blow it. Fold like a lawn chair under pressure that doesn't show until they're put in that position. So how do you know when it's their time? I got no clue. But one of the coaches jobs IS TO BELIEVE IN THE PLAYER . Replacing from bad to worse wouldn't help IMO.

The run up the middle is becoming so tiresome. These boys DON'T GOT NO REASON to even be put in the position. BUTTTTTT When they are all you got I think your forced to try them. You need your running threat. I know we got some who are a little bigger but some were hurt and others unproven which could spell disaster if they like to mishandle the ball or like to zig when their supposed to zag. Replacing from bad to worse wouldn't help IMO.

To sum it up I GOT TO TRUST IN OUR COACHES. They are proven winners they know how to win. They will win. I feel their just dealing with pieces that don't fit and are trying to survive to fight another day until they can reload with ones that do. My feeling would be VERY DIFFERENT if these were their boy's they had recruited but THEIR NOT. So I guess it's up to us to see how the chips fall.

NOTE: In terms that we might could relate to. Have you ever had to come in behind someone else to finish a job, project, or anything and have to try to make everything work, or fit. Most of the time I've needed extra items (the correct one's) to make it work. Which takes time. But their might be some who are the best at making CHICKEN S#!T INTO CHICKEN SALAD.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Bowl eligible.... I just threw up. Vanderbilt almost upset Arkansas. I feel sick watching this team. At least in 1988 I could see those losses coming. We only had one or two good players. Burton, Rainey, Demps, and Brantley are not living up to their potential. If it is injuries, then why are we getting hurt more than any other team in the nation?

One of those players in 1988 was Emmitt Smith though did he miss time because he and a few other players got in a fight with a fratnerity (stop if you heard if you heard that one before)? Was any team collaspe faster than the Gators who in 2009 was going for not only their third SEC titles in four years but also a third National title in four years? It started when that guy from Temple was the OC plus Meyer dropped the ball on a few things. Sad Part Temple has a better record than the Gators. Also part of the penalties is on MusChomp but seriously shouldn't Brantley know how much time he has on the playclock and he was called on three delay of game penalties? If they keep losing, Coach Boom won't last long. Besides us common fans, the boosters don't like losing either and they want to win now. Sadly, they have more power us the common fan because their donate the big bucks to the university and they can bully University officials into making decision. I think the FSU boosters is the main reason why Bobby Bowden was forced out.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
One of those players in 1988 was Emmitt Smith though did he miss time because he and a few other players got in a fight with a fratnerity (stop if you heard if you heard that one before)? Was any team collaspe faster than the Gators who in 2009 was going for not only their third SEC titles in four years but also a third National title in four years? It started when that guy from Temple was the OC plus Meyer dropped the ball on a few things. Sad Part Temple has a better record than the Gators. Also part of the penalties is on MusChomp but seriously shouldn't Brantley know how much time he has on the playclock and he was called on three delay of game penalties? If they keep losing, Coach Boom won't last long. Besides us common fans, the boosters don't like losing either and they want to win now. Sadly, they have more power us the common fan because their donate the big bucks to the university and they can bully University officials into making decision. I think the FSU boosters is the main reason why Bobby Bowden was forced out.
God, I hope you're wrong but I know you're right, Lf. Foley will protect him as long as he can, but that probably is only good for another season or so--he'll get at LEAST the one with the recruiting haul I sense is coming, but he'll have to do something more than this next year with a VERY young and raw team, ALWAYS problematic and somewhat unpredictable. That's why I keep talking about identifying "the good ones" we already HAVE on this team, for "cadre"--that's a military term for experienced, high-value individuals you "seed" a new unit with in order to form up and speed the training, development, evolution and eventual attainment of maximum efficiency in the shortest possible time. Still, there'll be big highs and lows next season, I'm sure--that's how it goes with a young, hard-driving team like the one that will reflect this Head Coach's personality in the crazy, headlong rush of passion and hyper-energy of its first season together.
I want to scream, "Don't they see what's happening here? Don't they understand that this is a multi-step process? Don't they know now how bad things had gotten, how far we'd deteriorated under our beloved former-coach, and that Coach Boom IS absolutely the best man for the job? Can't they give him the couple of more years he clearly needs to get us back into the elite again?!!" I already know the answers, though. These are by and large impatient, fairly ignorant and highly spoiled individuals who feel they've PAID for the privilege of demanding bragging rights and instant gratification: fairness, insight and long term plans be DAMNED.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Oh man, yeah, this was a tough one...it's all become so predictably dispiriting: it keeps coming back to either "too small and weak" and/or "too selfish and gutless".
(Check out my thread, recently posted...I try to boil it all down to realistic and manageable points, ones that I hope go a ways towards understanding where our Coach and his staff are already headed.)

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
In the 2nd half, when we came out of the locker room from halftime with negative rushing yards, did nobody think of sending in Burton or Joyer? Why can't we stop the run? Why can't we protect any of our quarterbacks? Why can't our DBs stop the jump pass? How can summarily suck at every phase of the game?

This team probably should be afraid of Vanderbilt. If Vanderbilt had a kicker, they would have upset a ranked Arkansas team. To quote what I said last year using Urban Meyer's own words, "we are just not that good". Where does this losing skid end? Maybe Furman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema