• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Florida Gators 2012 Recruiting Class

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Pretty soon we will know who the newest Gators will be for 2012. As of 11:00 PM EST the day before NSD we have room for seven. My predictions:
  1. Tracy Howard
  2. Kyron Samuel
  3. Stefon Diggs
  4. Trey Griffey
  5. Avery Young
  6. Dalvin Tomlinson
  7. SURPRISE
I think Nelson Algolhor goes to USC, and Josh Harvey Clemons goes to UGA as our two biggest let-downs.

P.S. I moved Darius Hamilton to the "lost" area after his commitment to Rutgers a few hours ago.

Escambia94

Flipping WDE Dante Fowler and getting an unheard of WR Raphael Andrades were the surprises of the day. I was surprised that Tracy Howard went to Miami. Still waiting on Stefon Diggs. He is a hard read. I am also surprised we only got to 23, 2 short of what I assumed.

My grades:

Overall - A-. Will Muschamp's first full recruiting class went well. He will finish in the top 5, but probably has not gained enough ground to challenge the big dog, Alabama.

Offensive line - A-. The o-line looks stout. Some will grade these guys lower, but it really is hard to grade o-line other than looking at their mass.

Defensive line - A+. Maybe I am being too optimistic, but we look great on the front 4. Oddly enough, it looks like Muschamp and Quinn recruited a 4-3 defense, not a 3-4.

Linebackers - B. I expected more out of the linebackers, especially if we really wanted a 3-4 defense.

Cornerbacks and Safeties - A-. These positions look pretty good. Expect some of them to challenge for starting time in 2012.

Special Teams - A+. A 3-star kicker? Only missed 5 FGs in high school, all beyond 55 yards? I will take it.

Quarterback - C+. Like most, I am extra hard on the QB position. Not sure where we stand at QB with our 2012 acquisition. We must watch and see what Brent Pease does with his first recruit as a Gator coach.

Wide Receivers - B+. We missed on some big names at WR, but we can manage as long as the kids we did sign work hard.

Running Backs - D. We need to flush out the old, spread running backs and put them on special teams. We really only gained one RB. One.

Escambia94

Florida made an offer to a JUCO offensive guard, 6'6" 350 lbs Fehoko Fanaika of San Mateo College. He will be in Gainesville this weekend.

Rumor has Stefon Diggs staying home and committing to Maryland or going a few hours west to tOSU.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Florida made an offer to a JUCO offensive guard, 6'6" 350 lbs Fehoko Fanaika of San Mateo College. He will be in Gainesville this weekend.

Rumor has Stefon Diggs staying home and committing to Maryland or going a few hours west to tOSU.
You know where I stand on this, E-...and it ISN'T "Oh, I hope and hope and pray he chooses us..."
I mean, I'll be happy if he DOES, it'll be a good sign that he's got his head on straight, and after all of the attention, hype and hoopla, chose to honor his original commitment, come in to compete and TAKE his place on a TEAM of top players, , but if not, if he stays home with Md. (chooses "big fish in small pond"), or worse, jumps on Urban Meyer's "Good Ship Smoke-up-Your-Butt" with the Buckeyes (chooses "flash over substance", compliments and smiling promises over honesty and a mutual commitment), then fine: not necessarily a loss--for us, anyway.
In fact, frankly, I've already come to assume that with all the signs as to his true nature, we are probably #3 now--and I have already accepted the likelihood that we aren't getting him.

Escambia94

The Florida-FSU game could potentially swing a few recruits. Let's look at how the 2012 class has fared so far. Matt Jones and Antonio Morrison have turned in the most measurable statistics, but some of the other players have contributed simply by stepping up for injured players.

1. WR - Latroy Pittman (EE, C: 8/7/10)
    • 4*, Citra (FL), 6'1", 190 lbs, 4.68/40YD, #32/218
    • 2 REC, 6 YDS
  2. RB - Matt Jones (C: 2/14/11, OV 1/21/12)
    • 4*, Seffner (FL), 6'3", 225 lbs, #15/190
    • 41 ATT, 178 YDS, 1 TD; 3 REC, 10 YDS 0 TDS
  3. OLB - Jeremi Powell (C: 2/19/11)
    • 4*, Largo (FL), 6'2", 200 lbs, #17/220
    • NO STATS
  4. OG - Jessamen Dunker(EE, C: 3/21/11)
    • 4*, Boynton Beach (FL), 6'6", 315 lbs, #5/108
    • NO STATS
  5. DT - Jafar Mann (C: 3/25/11, OV 1/21/12)
    • 3*, Stone Mountain (GA), 6'4", 275 lbs, #48/NR
    • NO STATS
  6. SDE - Quinteze Williams (EE, C: 3/30/11)
    • 3*, Tyrone (GA), 6'4", 295 lbs, #22/NR
    • NO STATS
  7. CB - Willie Bailey (EE, C: 4/5/11)
    • 3*, Hallandale (FL), 6'1", 165 lbs, #38/NR
    • NO STATS
  8. TE - Colin Thompson (C: 5/5/11, OV 1/21/12)
    • 4*, Warminster (PA), 6'5", 255 lbs, #6/187
    • NO STATS
  9. CB - Brian Poole(C: 6/13/11, OV 1/21)
    • 4*, Bradenton (FL), 5'11", 187 lbs, #5/80
    • 2 tackles
  10. K - Austin Hardin (C: 6/22/11)
    • 2*, Atlanta (GA), 5'11", 200 lbs, #11/NR
    • NO STATS
  11. SS - Rhaheim Ledbetter (C: 7/15/11)
    • 3*, Boiling Springs (NC), 5'11", 190 lbs, #25/NR
    • NO STATS
  12. FS - Marcus Maye (C: 7/18/11)
    • 4*, Melbourne (FL), 6'1", 195 lbs, #5/70
    • NO STATS
  13. ILB - Antonio Morrison (EE, C: 8/3/11)
    • 4*, Bolingbrook (IL), 6'3", 225 lbs, #10/204
    • 27 tackles (20 solo),
  14. OT - DJ Humphries(EE, C: 8/5/11)
    • 5*, Charlotte (NC), 6'5", 265 lbs, #1/2
    • NO STATS
  15. TE - Kent Taylor(C: 10/27/11)
    • 4*, Land O' Lakes (FL), 6'5", 220 lbs, #1/54
    • 1 REC
  16. DT - Damien Jacobs (EE from East Mississippi Junior College, C: 12/21/11, LOI)
    • 4*, Scooba (MS), 6'4", 290 lbs, NR/NR
    • NO STATS
  17. SDE - Jonathan Bullard(C: 1/7/12, USA)
    • 5*, Shelby (NC), 6'4", 255 lbs, #1/60
    • NO STATS
  18. SDE - Bryan Cox Jr. (C: 1/21/12)
    • 3*, Ft Lauderdale (FL), 6'3", 240 lbs, #37/NR
    • NO STATS
  19. WDE - Alex McCalister (C: 1/23/12)
    • 3*, Clemmons (NC), 6'7", 212 lbs, #26/NR
    • NO STATS
  20. QB - Skyler Mornhinweg (C: 1/28/12, switched from Penn State)
    • 3*, Philadelphia (PA), 6'3", 215 lbs, NR/NR
    • NO STATS
  21. WR - Raphael Andrades (C: NSD)
    • 3*, Tallahassee (FL), 6'0", 190 lbs, NR/NR
    • 2 REC, 5 YDS
  22. WDE/LB - Dante Fowler Jr. FSU C: 1/28/12 - UF C: NSD
    • 5*, Lakewood (FL), 6'3", 232 lbs, #3/28
    • NO STATS

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Alright: Here we go on "Recruiting Overview: End of 2012" ...This actually probably'd be better at the END of this season, but you put up the list (nicely done, as usual) etc., so I'm going to just "put it out there", how I see us heading towards NSD...
"The Florida-FSU game could potentially swing a few recruits. Let's look at how the 2012 class has fared so far."
--@Escambia94,
ONLY if we lose BADLY, I think, E-...Otherwise, it'll be MUCH more the "relationships" that have developed/are developing between coaches and players, along with subtle perceptions as to where each believes he is "likeliest" to get on the field soonest, and/or more quickly learn, progress and get to the Pros, and/or how parents feel and/or how far away and/or and/or and/or...By now, the "BIG PICTURE" views are mostly settled is what I figure--but there are a host of "little things" going on in-their-heads/behind-the-scenes that could still end up triggering those dreaded "shocking decommits"" and "sudden late flips" that everyone faces more and more often nowadays.
I could bemoan the "passing of things like trust, loyalty, and keeping-ones-word", but in truth these were all abandoned so far back that even complaining about it seems laughable by now. No use arguing ethics when every one of these kids is being wooed by Head Coaches whose 6-figure-plus contracts are on-the-line--and the "carrot" they dangle for the player is a four-year risk that they'll still be healthy enough to cash in THEMSELVES at the END, IF they start and IF they are good enough and a few OTHER "ifs" that make this a long-odds risk for the player indeed.
So: "What else is new?", you ask? Well, I DO like the way THIS Head Coach and staff have NOT rushed frantically in to fill every spot from the moment they arrived, for one thing. In fact, they were in that first year (2011) more concerned with culling and "shipping out" a number of "losers" and kids who didn't "fit", weren't up to doing things "the Florida Way", as Coach put it. Among the 2012 class above (really their "first" in terms of being ALL theirs, and the product of a whole year of establishing themselves, as much as anything else) are a number of really good freshmen who we needed to step-up, and have; a group of talented-but-inexperienced kids who weren't quite ready but show great promise; and some, mostly red-shirted, who only "team-insiders" know how they are progressing...However, concerning these last, I think we can have a fair amount of confidence even there: This Coach won't "carry" people. If they're still on the team, it's 'cause they have talent (to be here at all) and are working hard--otherwise: "We met and mutually agreed that it would be in young _______'s own best interests that he--"...
We may lose one or two from before with this 2013 "haul", but another mark of how deliberate and well-targeted this staff's aims and intentions is that there hasn't and WON'T be that kind of "scattershot" OVER-grabbing of way too many recruits: They know who they want and why, they will wisely "hedge-their-bets" in this "smile-and-promise-right-up-to-the-last-moment, then-turn-your-back-world", but CHARACTER remains high enough on their list of priorities in the close-knit, got-your-back TEAM that Coach Will is depending on these Gators being if they are to have that "something extra" we've already begun to see "make a difference" THIS season.
Good as "2-out-of-3 of the squads" on our team already are, we can be better, deeper at those TWO--and of course have LIGHTYEARS to go on offense. Not only am I somehow SURE that all that is coming, and soon, I also know that this staff is DETAIL-oriented, and will make sure it gets done, and done RIGHT: From the ground up, with the RIGHT GUYS! I LOVE that, about our Coach, AND this team we are now only beginning to see emerge.

Escambia94

The best part about this class is the part not captured in statistics. There are no prima donnas, they have little trouble with the law, and they seem nice when they speak out (via Twitter, or Gator Vision interviews).

Escambia94

So far, we have lost Jafar Mann and Willie Bailey from the class of 2012. After the Sugar Bowl, we can look back at the big wins and losses from the class of 2012.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I look forward to that, as I look forward first to NSD in early Feb., then spring and our road to Season 2013: In fact, in reading my own comment from 5 weeks ago, I have little to add, right now: I AM proud of and confident in this team, its Head Coach, staff and growing TEAM--and frankly, am glad to have read my own analysis/overview once again (just above), 'cause (as I now recall in reading it) it well-outlines what we are, what we can be, and how and why we are getting there, in pretty straight forward fashion. That, and your two short follow-up points are as really good place as any to start that discussion you promise, Escambia94, .

Escambia94

Former Gator commitment Dante Phillips failed to academically qualify at UF a year ago and decided to take his talents to Tennessee. He spent all year in Dooley's doghouse. Today he is no longer with the team.

Moral of the story is to trust the Gator coaches when it comes to recruiting.

Escambia94

OL Jessamen Dunker is the latest member of the class of 2012 to transfer out. Jessamen had some issues with "grand theft scooter", and was rumored to have problems getting along with his teammates. Regardless of what happened, the Gator Nation wishes Jessamen good luck!

Escambia94

Update 12/22/2013: DB Raheim Ledbetter will be transferring due to lack of playing time.

Escambia94

Walk-on:
QB - Jacob Guy - 3-star, low profile player picked up interest from Florida after Brent Pease hired. #8 rated QB in Florida HS football.
As of NSD, only these soft commitments remained, and both wound up committing elsewhere.
  • OC - Kyron Samuels. Enrolled at East Mississippi CC with the intent to attend Mississippi State in two years.
  • WR - Stefon Diggs. OV 1/21. Switched to Maryland.
Just for historical sake, here are the high profile targets that we "lost" earlier in the cycle. Technically, Florida only lost three verbal commitments--Salt, Davis, and L. Phillips. The rest were either on the fence, failed to qualify academically, or had problems transferring credits.
  • DT - Visesio Salt - C: 12/18/11 as commitment #17
    • Withdrew 1/9/12 due to problems with transferring credits
    • Committed to Utah
  • RB - Mike Davis - C: 2/19/11 as commitment #4
    • Withdrew commitment 12/4/11 due to disagreement with recruiting Matt Jones
    • Committed to South Carolina
  • LB - Lorenzo Phillips - C: 6/15/11 as commitment #11
    • Withdrew 10/20/11
    • Committed to LSU
  • WR - Courtney Gardner
    • JUCO target 12/20/11
    • Committed to Arkansas
  • LB - Jamal Marcus
    • failed to academically qualify for offer/ scholarship to UF
    • Signed with Ohio State (lower academic standards)
  • DL - Leonard Williams - verbal to Florida 9/28/11
    • Changed commitment to to FSU or Auburn, canceled OV to UF 1/21
    • Signed with USCw on NSD
  • DE / DT - Darius Hamilton
    • Rutgers C: 1/31/12.
  • CB - Tracy Howard, OV 1/21. Was expected to commit to Florida on NSD as #22, but decided to stay closer to home in Miami (FL).
  • LB - Vincent Valentine - Nebraska was #1 until his OV 1/14. "Replaced" Jamal Marcus when Jamal had problems with grades. Elected to stay closer to home by going to Nebraska on NSD
  • OL - Avery Young, OV 1/21, coach's visit week of Jan 15. Signed with Auburn on NSD.
  • WR - Jaquay Williams - Auburn commit was not swayed by close friend and Florida commit Quinteze Williams. Famous for posting his own highlight reel on YouTube.
  • WR - Nelson Agholor. Signed with USC.
  • WR - Josh Harvey Clemons. Committed to UGA, but still has not faxed in LOI on NSD.
  • WR - Avery Johnson, LSU commit.
  • FB/LB - Schyler Miles - Signed LOI with Kansas after seeing Charlie Weis 1/21.
  • WR - Trey Griffey. C: Arizona 1/21.
  • OT - Jake Meador - OV 1/14, C: Wisconsin to be closer to home.
  • DT - Dalvin Tomlinson, C: Alabama.
  • QB - Paxton Lynch - toss up between Florida and Indiana got no attention from Florida until Pease showed up. Not ranked in Florida HS football. No Rivals rating. C: Memphis 1/28 after Skyler Mornhinweg committed to Florida.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema