• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Florida Gator Faithful: Don't Point Fingers at John Brantley

crmixon

Gator Fan
I had to listen to the game on the radio due to working. One of OUR announcers kept making the point that when Brantley is in it's a pass, Burton a run and Reed could be anything. He said that the defense was cheating outrageously because they KNEW what was coming. Even with the three headed monster we are STILL predictable.

rangenius

Gator Fan
Yeah let's not point the finger at the guy that destroyed the season, he stands in pocket like a statue and can't complete a pass further than 5 yards downfield. He has no heart. Players and coaches even said he is not a leader. Disgusting, I hope he leaves the team.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
His passes often look real pretty in the air, perfect spirals--right over our receivers' stretched reach and/or right into that of one of the two or three defenders #12 failed to see.
We're tired of the excuses, even the logical ones, explaining all the reasons he hasn't "gotten a fair shot". Along with "too many injuries", the "patchwork offensive line", and "failure to adapt the offense", "Addazio's unimaginative play-calling" has been there to blame for ALL his failings--but John Brantley alone has demonstrated he is NOT a leader, and WHATEVER the reasons for it, he is a BUST at game time. In every game there have been opportunities, moments when a QB at this level is expected to shine, and he has NOT. Even in the wins, it has invariably been one of the OTHER 2 QB's that stood out, BROKE out (remember Burton's 5 TD's? Reed's sudden bursting on the scene?). In the losses, the one common theme among them has been the overuse of Brantley to the exclusion of the other two, especially Reed--and as "crmixon" notes, the way Addazio and co. have devolved into using them when they ARE used has itself become predictable.
The so-called "3-Headed-Monster" was ALWAYS just a transitional approach, to my thinking a way to get these other talented QB/Playmakers on the field and present the opposing defense with the sort of pressure and unpredictability (and skill sets) we weren't getting with JB alone. The way it is being used by now however is producing more confusion on OUR side than on theirs!
I could go on listing and analyzing all of the reasons, but the point is simply this: John Brantley is a bust at quarterback for the Florida Gators. He was put in the fire, and he melted. Perhaps he could be a serviceable drop-back passer in another system, for another team--but he had two years of mentoring, practice and preparation and a full season as the starter in OUR program, and the verdict is in and resoundingly unequivocal: it's time to move on.
We need a quarterback, and one that is a true leader. We're not quite starting from scratch, but close. Given the situation, Reed should be the de facto starter going into next spring, but we're all counting on Driskell coming in and somehow seizing the destiny of this team, sooner rather than later. That's not really fair to the young man, but it's true, it's life, and I guess we'll see how he responds to it. I for one am hoping Reed continues to develop and we can perform well as a team next season while installing an offense that Driskell can EVENTUALLY take over, in a smooth transition.
NONE of this I can see happening with Addazio as the OC, however. Just as the offense requires an on-field leader, it requires a brilliant and astute OFF-field one to design, install and implement an offense, a game-plan, and in-game play calling--not to mention overseeing the arrival and development of a raw, highly talented freshman quarterback-of-the-future. You only get one shot at that. Do we want THAT in the hands of Steve Addazio? Can you envision him pulling off ANY of the above?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema