• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chris Leak late rounder?!

blueshoesnb

VIP Member
Cold Pizza just had a guy on who said Chris Leak would be a perfect fit in Carolina. He believes they should take him late in the draft and he will develop into one of the best backups, with his accuracy and quick feet. I know thats what all the talk has been about is him being a back up and everything but if Rex Grossman is a starter on a Super Bowl team and didnt do half the things Chris Leak has done stat wise and win wise, why is everyone so quick to write him off? I understand his size is killing him and for the longest time he couldnt win the big one, but I just dont get how Leak has out performed Rex in all categories and yet Rex goes in the first round and Chris is projected to go late and never start...

In Urban I Trust

Bull Gator
rex was an amazing college QB, and in my opinion won the heisman his soph year. then the zook took over and he seemed like he was not as good a QB. no doubt in my mind that as a pure passer grossman was the best ever to come through UF. Imagine if steve had stayed for 2 more years and got to toy with rexy.

PhD Gator

Super Moderator
I would tend to agree with him being a backup at the NFL level. One of the main reasons his stats are so much more impressive than Rex's are because he was a 4 year started (well 3 and a half I guess). He definitely could turn into a starter, but I can see where the analysts are coming from as he doesn't exactly scream NFL starter. I'm a huge Leak fan and would love to see him succeed, but I believe his niche could be as an excellent, reliable backup.

blueshoesnb

VIP Member
I deff do agree with you that he was robbed his soph year in the heisman race and was prob one of the purest passers to ever walk through ufs doors, but with everything Chris has done and won, I have a hard time writing him off. He showed that he can do alot not only pass but run options, lead comebacks, split time unselfishly, and he gets no love. I think Chris is right up there in terms of pure passing with Grossman, I mean look he found a way to throw almost 3000 yards in a run heavy offense. Im not saying Chris deserves to be a first day selection or that he should be a starter, Im just having a hard time saying he will never develop into a sunday starter

In Urban I Trust

Bull Gator
i agree that leak did have good numbers in a semi pro style under zook, if given the right situation i can see him suceed in almost a drew brees fasion (small qb comparison)

it would be nice for him if he went to carolina so he could go back to where he grew up and have some home town fans.

ilovegators

VIP Member
carolina would be a nice fit for Leak. they have a good o-line and a very speedy receiver in steve smith. hell, i could throw the ball to smith and he'd make me look good.

leak had amazing stuff in college. i think he size, toughness and durability come into play though.

but i've always said, if flutie can do it, anyone can.

Amanda371

VIP Member
That wouldn't be so bad. I'm sure most players dream of being starters and living the NFL 'dream' but a backup QB isn't something to scoff at.. they still make a heck of a lot more money than the average folk. I do wish Leak the best though and you never know what will happen. We could see him in a Superbowl for all we know.

PhD Gator

Super Moderator
Seventh Round is where he should go.
I would disagree with the 7th round. Not saying it might not happen, but I do believe he deserves to go slightly higher than that. I think somewhere between late 4th round to early 6th round is ideal for him. In my mind there is very little doubt that he could make an excellent #2 QB and does have some potential to be a starter. QB's that fall into that category in my mind should go slightly higher than the 7th round.

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
I would disagree with the 7th round. Not saying it might not happen, but I do believe he deserves to go slightly higher than that. I think somewhere between late 4th round to early 6th round is ideal for him. In my mind there is very little doubt that he could make an excellent #2 QB and does have some potential to be a starter. QB's that fall into that category in my mind should go slightly higher than the 7th round.

If he was taller and had an arm he would be a first round lock. He will go somewhere between the 4th and 6th round, but if I was the GM, I wouldn't touch him till the 7th round.

blueshoesnb

VIP Member
yeah the scouts are saying if he grew 2-3 inches he would be in the top half of the first round

well damn the hieght gene

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
yeah the scouts are saying if he grew 2-3 inches he would be in the top half of the first round

well damn the hieght gene

It's gotta be hard for a 5'10 guy to see over 6'3 to 6'7 tall lineman. It sucks that thats the way the game has evolved. 20-30 years ago Leak could have #1 overall.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema