• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Big 10 & ND getting on board???

greggcowan

VIP Member
From ESPN.COM

It would be about time...on both counts!

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Big Ten officials will likely discuss expanding to 12 schools to accommodate the new Big Ten Network, commissioner Jim Delany said.

The network, which is scheduled to launch Aug. 30, would benefit from an additional big-name university in a large television market, Delany said.

"I think we need to look at it in the next year," he told the Des Moines Register on Wednesday. He offered no specific candidates.

"The broader [the network] is distributed, the more value [expansion] has. We have eight states. With expansion, you could have nine," he said.

In football, a 12th school could mean two divisions and a postseason playoff. That's an appealing concept to the startup network.

"Any television executive would do whatever they could to be able to air a game like the Big Ten championship," said Mark Silverman, Big Ten Network president. "It would be worth a considerable amount of value."

Coaches think otherwise, said Iowa head football coach Kirk Ferentz.

"I've not met anybody in coaching that really enjoys it," Ferentz said of the divisional playoff format. "There's a lot of downside to it, in my opinion."

Among the concerns are missing out on a BCS bowl by losing the conference title game.

Delany said expansion would not guarantee the Big Ten would create an extra game.

"I could live with two divisions and a championship game, but I think that has a tendency to devalue the season-ending game and have a negative impact on your losing team in season-ending games," he said.

"I don't want us to tear ourselves apart over the structure of football for the sake of expansion."

The Big Ten tried to lure Notre Dame into the conference in 1999, but the Fighting Irish chose to remain a football independent after lengthy discussions.

Delany said of Notre Dame: "There aren't many universities that produce that kind of value."

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
I hope Notre Dame joins the Big 10, but I'm not so sure it will happen. Notre Dame gets into BCS games even if they have a 9-3 season, so why would they go to the Big 10 where they would have to win their conference most likely to get a BCS birth? :Banana:

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
good point GatorGuy8, i hate how Notre Dame can win 9 games against weak teams and lose 3 against hard teams and they git into a bowl game and then some team like Boise State or even Utah loses one game and they are out of BCS bowls

OVERRATED

greggcowan

VIP Member
Agreed....It's really so much more about ND's national apeal than anything else. I guess the thing that has always bothered me the most (and keep in mind my father, and brother are both ND grads) is that ND claims they don't want to join the big 10 due to the number of national rivalry games they have developed. But here is the thing....Each and every year they have Prrdue, Michigan.Michigan State,Either PSU or OSU...Just add 2 more big 10 games...and you're a big 10 team anyways! with the 5 non conf. games on the schedule allowed each year they could still keep the USC, Navy and Stanford games alive?
Just my opinion........... Not to mention......the big 10 and pac 10 should have to have a Conf title game like eveyone else anyways.....

carolinathru&thru

VIP Member
I'd like to see them join the Big 10, not only because it would be fun to see ND play against good teams on a consistent basis, but also because it would allow the Big 10 to have a Conference Championship game.

But, truthfully, I don't see that happenning anytime soon. Notre Dame is perfectly content being an Indepent school right now.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
i agree w/ the conference championships for Big-10 and the Pac-1... er Pac-10 because i know USC would make it into the Pac-10 championship game every year but they would have a pretty good chance of losing it, which opens up bowl games for other teams

carolinathru&thru

VIP Member
i agree w/ the conference championships for Big-10 and the Pac-1... er Pac-10 because i know USC would make it into the Pac-10 championship game every year but they would have a pretty good chance of losing it, which opens up bowl games for other teams

Well, when you cheat, it's easy to when you're conference ever year:bananajump:

I just can't stand Southern Cal. I just don't understand why they deserve to be so good. There's fans aren't passionate. People in LA don't live, eat, and breathe Southern Cal football. Sure, they go to the games, but only because it's a hip thing to do. I'm sure there are some die-hard Southern Cal fans out there, but nothing like the fans in SEC (or ACC for that matter).

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
There's fans aren't passionate. People in LA don't live, eat, and breathe Southern Cal football. Sure, they go to the games, but only because it's a hip thing to do.

It's true, few fans are real fans... that is one thing i hate about living in California... and living near Sacramento, there are no good college football teams here, and so that means no fans, no games for me to go to, and i cant discuss college football w/ people... thats part of the reason i decided to join Gator Envy :Banane37:

but even though the Raiders and 49ers have sucked the past few years, there fans are REAL, every year they think it is their year to win the
big show lol, so i can talk NFL w/ people, but Raider fans are annoying :mad:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema