• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2023 Roster as of 2023 Early Signing Day

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Currently the Gator roster is at 79 scholarship players, so I assume there will be at least 5 more transfers in after January, possibly more with a few more transfers out possible. As of today, 52% of the roster has been recruited by Billy Napier and his staff. All the recruits from Dan Mullen's first class are gone. Here is the status of each class:
- 2018 - No 5th-year seniors remaining
- 2019 - 4 scholarship seniors with experience remain--2 starters (OC Kingsely Eguakun and LG Ethan White) and 2 backups, not counting transfers LB Noah Keeter and WR Ricky Pearsall.
- 2020 - 4 scholarship juniors with experience remain--2 starters (STAR Tre'vez Johnson and P Jeremy Crawshaw), not counting transfer QB Jack Miller III.
- 2021 - No scholarship seniors with experience remain, 2 redshirt sophomore starters (RT Austin Barber, LS Rocco Underwood), not counting transfer DL Caleb Banks.
2023 Roster as of 2022-12-24.png

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
With all that DIDN'T happen on "ESD" (as things turned out), and all that HAS happened since (the expected and UNEXPECTED, in BOTH of the above cases), we damn well BETTER make some positive moves in the transfer portal now...
That even includes at QB, by the way, where it is currently unclear if the announced arrival of former Wisconsin disappointment Merch is a strange reach--a "desperate grab" or an example of our Coach seeing something there that others do not?
Regardless, the latest defections of two starters (along with a number of less standout players) from the 2022 O-line DEFINITELY caught us by surprise--and so far has us short at the one part of our team that consistently excelled the past season.
This is turning into a "bigger and faster team turnover" than projected. It remains to be seen if there'll be a matching TALENT upgrade--a "bigger and faster TEAM", as a result!
If not, it appears that 2023 MAY be a similarly frustrating "year-in-transition" relative to the one just past. So: For the moment we remain in "wait and SEE"-mode.

Escambia94

The transfer portal for non-grad students closes on January 19, so there will be more movement as players go through bowl games and work through the academic side of transferring.

So far a couple in the transfer portal failed to qualify academically at UF or could not find a compatible degree program. The QB from Coastal Carolina is one of them. There are rumors that someone playing in a bowl game will look at Florida after bowl season. We also have a couple verbal commitments who will sign on National Signing Day in February, plus a couple potential silent commitments and late flips. I think Napier will add 5 more players by February.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Like I said: "Wait and SEE"-mode.
Of course, that involves one's own EYES again...

Escambia94

Like I said: "Wait and SEE"-mode.
Of course, that involves one's own EYES again...
Sigh. Back to the eye test again. Florida cannot get some of the athletes who pass the eye test because they have small brains. The best eye test QB in the transfer portal cannot meet UF’s academic standards.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That does appear to be the rumored reason for why the "sexier" options have so quickly and relentlessly faded from the ongoing "buzz".
Like many others, I am not so sure that the seemingly blander "Mertz" out of Wisconsin is the answer--but the truth is that if we indeed "trust our Coach", his instincts and choices, then we MUST just "wait and see"...
Frankly, I'm still hoping to see us improve ourselves at some areas where we are thin, maybe even at QB before this is over; even if I'm not as ready to ignore and dismiss Jack Miller (as many fans have done) after that debacle of a performance in Las Vegas (which clearly can NOT be laid soley at Miller's feet); Rashada won't be ready to start in the SEC by his first game as a true freshman--and another losing record with him in that role might well be disastrous to his whole future here. Mertz might work out, even do well--but WE'D do well to have at least one relatively experienced and proven backup in the wings pending injury. As things stand now, it would be hard to tell which is which from among these two.
And we still have some gaping holes in addition, regardless...a good tight end would be nice, a few more linemen too (BOTH sides of the ball).
Just sayin'.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema