• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Would you trade Brantley for another QB?

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
Brantley has only taken a handful of snaps as a Gator and none as a starter. With that said though, would you trade Brantley right now for any other QB in the NCAA?

Would you trade him straight up for Ryan Mallett, Jake Locker, Terrelle Pryor or Matt Barkley?

I'm not sure I would. I feel great about Johnny.

sbq80

VIP Member
No to all those QBs.
The only one that makes you think for a second is Locker.
Brantley is better than all of them, Locker just has more exp thats why the few second hesitation.

If Meyer lets loose a bit and lets Brantley do his thing, he will end up a top three all time QB at UF.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
No to all those QBs.
Brantley is better than all of them, Locker just has more exp thats why the few second hesitation.

If Meyer lets loose a bit and lets Brantley do his thing, he will end up a top three all time QB at UF.

I agree, Locker has the experience and the running ability that trump what Brantley has. Mallett is pretty good, he is big and has a strong arm, but not sure he has had enough success for me to 'trade' for him. But I would say that Brantley will be the top or second best college QB this year.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I would not take any one of them, and it has more to do with intangibles and character than anything. This kid, Brantley, willingly sat behind Tebow for a couple years knowing he could have been the starter on any other team in the galaxy (after sitting out a year due to NCAA rules), but he chose to wait for his time. He is adamant about not being another Tebow--he wants to be the first Johnny Brantley, not the second Tim Tebow. This kid is willing to forsake an "NFL-like" offense to play college football.

Now, let's talk about his tangibles. He can throw the ball with great precision, spin, and velocity while making pretty good decisions. This is based on limited data, but it's all we have.

Most importantly, he's a Gator through and through. That says a lot. Anyone who feels Gator pride knows what I'm talking about. It's something inside of you that I can see in Brantley. I would not give up this kid for anything, not even another Tim Tebow.

that would be tempting if you meant they came here and learnded the system from the start

like pryor i think he could be real nasty in our offense and i look for him to really break out this year at OSU

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
that would be tempting if you meant they came here and learnded the system from the start

like pryor i think he could be real nasty in our offense and i look for him to really break out this year at OSU

I am not convinced that the other guys would have been willing to sit behind Tebow or work within an offense that is molded around its players. One of the problems with many college programs and just about all the NFL programs is inflexibility with adapting to player talent. This is why many other college programs are "better at creating NFL players"--those college programs find coaches and a system that works and recruit players for that system. Urban Meyer is not the only one who does this, but a few coaches work the other way around and look for athletic talent that they can mold an offense and defense around--the coaches mold the team to the players, not the other way around.

Pryor probably could have picked up the spread, but he does not strike me as the kind of kid who would happily sit behind Tebow or take a second seat behind a running back.

I am not convinced Mallett would fit the spread-option, especially if the personnel and situation dictated more option.

Locker might fit alright. I still do not have a good idea of his personality.

I know almost nothing of Barkley, but he seems too much like a pro-style QB to even fit in the Urban Meyer offense. I read that he calls his own plays. I do not think the Meyer offense allows the QB to call his own plays, but it would be an interesting thing to see.

JvilleJohnny

No I wouldn't trade Brantley for anybody. He's an awesome kid.

No to all those QBs.

I agree. If Coach Meyer, Adazzio, and Loeffler let Johnny do his thing and rain passes on everybody. He will be one of the best, if not the best QB in the nation. And A top 3 QB all time at Florida.

best in the country? top 3? where are you guys getting all this from? i mean i beleive brantly is gonna be a great passer but he wasnt nowhere near as highly recruited as these other guys that are looking like early heisman canidates

not saying brantley cant be but he played in a very weak HS conference

but he's been practicing and working with the UF staff and defense for 2 years so that might not even matter

but still dont set the hype too high for JB its still his first year as starter

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I think I'll stick with Brantley

Mallett: good arm but not mobile

Locker: was called the West Coast Tebow but injury prone

Pryor: Skills to be good in the spread but inconsistent

Barkley: don't trust him in the spread.

JvilleJohnny

best in the country? top 3? where are you guys getting all this from? i mean i beleive brantly is gonna be a great passer but he wasnt nowhere near as highly recruited as these other guys that are looking like early heisman canidates

not saying brantley cant be but he played in a very weak HS conference

but he's been practicing and working with the UF staff and defense for 2 years so that might not even matter

but still dont set the hype too high for JB its still his first year as starter

You watch, Brantley will surprise you. He's got a very good supporting cast in the WR corps. Which will make him look even better.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I think I'll stick with Brantley

Mallett: good arm but not mobile

Locker: was called the West Coast Tebow but injury prone

Pryor: Skills to be good in the spread but inconsistent

Barkley: don't trust him in the spread.

I'll also take Brantley's laser over these others anyday. We've only seen a sneak preview of what he can do, and I have faith in him in that he'll take the bull by the horns and generate some offense. Hell, even with cleanup duty in the past he's been able to help get points on the board!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema