• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Which Gators are leaving in 2017?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Typically a team loses a quarter of its roster each year due to graduations, NFL Draft, injuries, and, unfortunately, suspensions. Here is what I think the status is for the Gators due to leave the team at the end of the 2017 season.

NFL Draft
  • WR Antonio Callaway
  • K Eddy Pineiro
  • DT Taven Bryan
Graduated and medically retired
  • DE Jordan Sherit
Graduated and likely to leave
  • RB Mark Thompson
  • WR Brandon Powell
  • TE Deandre Goolsby
  • OL Antonio Riles
  • CB Duke Dawson
  • CB Joseph Putu
  • FS Nick Washington
  • QB Malik Zaire
Graduated, but eligible for 6th year due to medical redshirt
  • SS Marcell Harris
That is 13 players who are likely gone, with only one of them with a decent probability of returning. There are another 8 who have some possibility of returning from suspension.
  • RB Jordan Scarlett
  • OL Richerd Desir-Jones
  • WR Rick Wells
  • LB Ventrell Miller
  • LB James Houston
  • DE Keivonnis Davis
There are at least 2 who have no possibility of returning. These 2 could sign as undrafted free agents, but I foresee them going to Canada.
  • DE Jordan Smith
  • OT Kadeem Telfort

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
My first sardonic reaction to the question posed in the title above was, " ALL of 'em, I hope...".
Not really, of course...but I am tending to look ahead the way the new staff seems to be: Clean slate, we go from here. I could say a lot more bout what we've got, what we're gonna be getting as of coupla days ago, and what we still need (some we'll get before '18 gets going, some will take time, obviously-- right now I'm prayin' for OLs), but it's a process getting 'em AND getting 'em TOGETHER, so patience will be the main deal for another season or two.

Escambia94

My first sardonic reaction to the question posed in the title above was, " ALL of 'em, I hope...".
Not really, of course...but I am tending to look ahead the way the new staff seems to be: Clean slate, we go from here. I could say a lot more bout what we've got, what we're gonna be getting as of coupla days ago, and what we still need (some we'll get before '18 gets going, some will take time, obviously-- right now I'm prayin' for OLs), but it's a process getting 'em AND getting 'em TOGETHER, so patience will be the main deal for another season or two.

The team chemistry certainly has been lacking in recent years, as well as fan connection to the players. I am not sad to see many of the suspended players go. I am sad to see that so many graduated, but spent a year injured. The best players to leave are the kicker, the punter, and a lineman.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes--that "team chemistry" factor, along with the whole "honor and dedication" CHARACTER thing are the main reasons I prescribe patience and time, however long and whatever else is required to aquire and build not just TALENT (I am less and less worried about that from Mullen and his staff--they'll ultimately do spectacularly, from both in-state and nationally), but FIT: Give us the kind of richness of talent not seen SINCE Meyer's peak years here, PLUS explicit aim at that "honor and dedication" to each other I spoke to above, and we will have a chance at seeing new heights--minus the selfish sense of entitlement that produced the cracks that eventually fragmented and produced that earlier Gator team's premature downfall under the same Coach who brought and built it here in the first place. Ultimately perhaps even surpass that team's accomplishments.
Great and true a leader as Tim Tebow was, even he couldn't hold them all together quite long enough to see them all thru. Remember the frustration and sadness #15 shouldered for all of us to see that day in the Georgia Dome, when the team he was ready to DIE for fell apart before his, ours, the NATION'S eyes? The truth was we could all see it coming by the week leading UP to that SEC Championship game...As I've said before, in neither intangible talent nor heart will we see the likes of Tim Tebow again for a long, LONG time, on ANY team--but with a true sense of "family" and mutual trust a central part of team effort throughout the year, throughout the TEAM, all will share that responsibility--and the results that much more solid and sustained.
That's the idea here, at any rate. I know it's early--but I WANT to "buy in".

Escambia94

How about this for buy-in? Dan Mullen has signed 4 players ranked as ESPN or 247 Sports top 150 offensive players in one month on the job. McElwain signed as many in 2 years. Muschamp averaged 5 per year, but suffered 2-4 transfers of those recruits over the years.

Right now Mullen is recruiting at a higher level than McElwain. It is too early to tell how he is doing compared against Muschamp or his old boss, Meyer.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema