• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

What if: Cam Newton stayed in Florida

Leakfan12

VIP Member
It's been a while since I did one of these but I figured why not do it for fun plus I think this would have been easy (I think). The topic is that if Cam Newton stayed after the 2008 season. As we know, Newton won the 2010 title and Heisman for Auburn and I believe the Gators had more talent team wise than Auburn that year. He backup Tim Tebow one more year and broke out in 2010 winning the Heisman, beating Bama in the SEC championship game, and beating Oregon (I know odd right, the Gators vs. Oregon). OF course going number one overall in 2011 NFL Draft like he did. Also that turncoat of the coach stays at least one more season (like any coach would cite health reasons after winning their third title in five years) though I bet those suckeyes would call him if he did stay. I also believe if he was the coach here still, he would have recruited that Winston kid from Bama whose lighting it up in SOW.

Ga8or22

Eventis sultorum magister.
It's been a while since I did one of these but I figured why not do it for fun plus I think this would have been easy (I think). The topic is that if Cam Newton stayed after the 2008 season. As we know, Newton won the 2010 title and Heisman for Auburn and I believe the Gators had more talent team wise than Auburn that year. He backup Tim Tebow one more year and broke out in 2010 winning the Heisman, beating Bama in the SEC championship game, and beating Oregon (I know odd right, the Gators vs. Oregon). OF course going number one overall in 2011 NFL Draft like he did. Also that turncoat of the coach stays at least one more season (like any coach would cite health reasons after winning their third title in five years) though I bet those suckeyes would call him if he did stay. I also believe if he was the coach here still, he would have recruited that Winston kid from Bama whose lighting it up in SOW.

If Newton stayed at Gainesville the Gator integrity would have taken a real hit - a crook for a QB and a sleazebag for a coach.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I am beginning to think that thugs and crooks are what you need to win games nowadays.

I think if Newton would have stayed that he would indeed have beaten Bama, and beaten Oregon for the national championship. Once he graduated with Florida's fourth Heisman and taken the 1st draft pick, Meyer would have stayed and made Driskel a decent spread-option QB. Brissett would not have come to Florida, and probably would have gone to Miami. Texas would have made Muschamp head coach in 2014 or 2015, and Florida would be alternating with Bama for national titles.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Well the school took a hit with Hernandez and to some degree Cooper and of course Meyer would be the coach and I think he coaches thugs and crooks in TOSU. Anybody think Meyer would have recruited Winston to play in Florida?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am beginning to think that thugs and crooks are what you need to win games nowadays.

I think if Newton would have stayed that he would indeed have beaten Bama, and beaten Oregon for the national championship. Once he graduated with Florida's fourth Heisman and taken the 1st draft pick, Meyer would have stayed and made Driskel a decent spread-option QB. Brissett would not have come to Florida, and probably would have gone to Miami. Texas would have made Muschamp head coach in 2014 or 2015, and Florida would be alternating with Bama for national titles.
Not so sure of THIS scenario, E-, but it DOES fit nicely with your "thugs and crooks are what you need to win a Championship nowadays"--and we WOULD have DEFINITELY won at LEAST one more QB with Newton, maybe TWO, , had he then STAYED...Of course, with his father's and his own family game of sleaze-ball, one way or another he'd have NEVER stayed that senior season anyway. Also, let us not forget or ignore the simple truth that had FLORIDA been implicated, even 3rd or 4th-hand with little clinching proof, the NCAA would NOT have allowed that whole deal to be swept under the rug with a few less scholarships the way they did Auburn. We may well have been crucified, and be mired now even further back in our by now "just-beginning-to" come-back.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Not so sure of THIS scenario, E-, but it DOES fit nicely with your "thugs and crooks are what you need to win a Championship nowadays"--and we WOULD have DEFINITELY won at LEAST one more QB with Newton, maybe TWO, , had he then STAYED...Of course, with his father's and his own family game of sleaze-ball, one way or another he'd have NEVER stayed that senior season anyway. Also, let us not forget or ignore the simple truth that had FLORIDA been implicated, even 3rd or 4th-hand with little clinching proof, the NCAA would NOT have allowed that whole deal to be swept under the rug with a few less scholarships the way they did Auburn. We may well have been crucified, and be mired now even further back in our by now "just-beginning-to" come-back.

One they ALREADY had Cam Newton, that whole thing happened after he left and was recruited out of community college. Then again, their were reports of his stay in Florida, he was about to be kicked out.

awebbf5

VIP Member
we would have won another national championship, our d was better than auburns that year and had more playmakers than Auburn. Like said earlier we might have been labeled as the new U with him staying.

Escambia94

Everyone else has thugs. Why can't we? Either Dennis Erickson, Chip Kelly, or Urban Meyer had the right idea. Train thugs early, win college championships or go to the NFl, profit.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Everyone else has thugs. Why can't we? Either Dennis Erickson, Chip Kelly, or Urban Meyer had the right idea. Train thugs early, win college championships or go to the NFl, profit.
Ok--I know you are frustrated, angry and cynical, E-, and this level of disgruntled outrageousness is the closest thing to "fun" we get to have this season (and you do it so WELL, my friend)--However, I ALSO know (or at least I THINK I know) that despite everything you don't REALLY buy into this idea...
Personally, I think Muschamp was on the right track with this team, at one point seemingly on-the-way to seeing we had a team and program that would win "doing it the right way", building and running a Defense at least, and in truth, the whole Gator organization in diametric opposition to the kind of "no choice but to surrender to the Dark Side if you wanna win it all" rationale that the scumbag coaches at "win-at-any-cost"/"glad-to-look-the-other-way" programs by now accepted, indeed well-entrenched at their schools in look-the-other-way conferences...
It CAN be done, but it takes courage, patience, and tough, unwavering determination to "get there", to carry on over rough waters and through powerful resistance from within and without in order to succeed without yielding to compromise. It may well be the "final irony" that the same "refuse to be anything BUT..." in our Coach that showed so much promise in building that Defense, and what seemed for awhile commitment to the very combination of dominant superiority and respect for themselves and each other that he preached must underlie their rise, may also have contained the same seeds of unwavering obstinacy that now clearly characterize the extreme stubbornness and inflexibility that manifests on offense as inability to adapt and evolve to even the most formulaic plans to stop it--that same stubbornness that kept everyone from the top down in complete denial of the obvious failures rampant throughout the team and program, and even now appears to keep the Head Coach from firing an inept and repeatedly unprepared OC.

Escambia94

He wouldn't have turned out to be what he is today. Steve Addazio would have been his OC. No development.

I think that if Cam Newton had stayed, Urban Meyer would not have suffered esophageal spasms and left. Hence, Addazio would not have been promoted to OC. Granted, that regime did not seem to develop players, so that part may be true.

roblou56

Gator Fan
Who would have been the OC? Dan Mullen was already named the HC of MSU during national championship game and Billy Gonzalez was always overlooked by Meyer.

Escambia94

Who would have been the OC? Dan Mullen was already named the HC of MSU during national championship game and Billy Gonzalez was always overlooked by Meyer.
Dan Mullen started shopping for a new job because of disagreement with Urban Meyer. He probably would have stayed if the Gators kept Cam Newton, and if the Gainesville PD and Alachua County Sheriff would let Florida athletes get away with the crap that most other schools get away with.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema