• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 11 Reaction Thread: LSU Tigers destroy Florida Gators 52-35

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The Gators have a historically bad defense. LSU has a historically good QB.

FLALSU
1st Downs2725
3rd down efficiency4-132-6
4th down efficiency1-30-2
Total Yards488701
Passing311372
Comp-Att26-3817-26
Yards per pass8.214.3
Interceptions thrown00
Rushing177329
Rushing Attempts4235
Yards per rush4.29.4
Penalties6-508-63
Turnovers11
Fumbles lost11
Interceptions thrown00
Possession34:2425:36

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Ouch.
FLALSU
Score3552
1st Downs2725
3rd down efficiency4-132-6
4th down efficiency1-30-2
Total Yards488701
Passing311372
Comp-Att26-3817-26
Yards per pass8.214.3
Interceptions thrown00
Rushing177329
Rushing Attempts4235
Yards per rush4.29.4
Penalties6-508-63
Turnovers11
Fumbles lost11
Interceptions thrown00
Possession34:2425:36
Geez. If THAT ain't succinct documentation of a defense just SURRENDERING FAR TOO MANY BIG PLAYS, I don't know what IS!
OUR offense's stats SHOULD be good enough to WIN most games.
And once again, Mertz is a total "KEEPER".
I cannot quite give UP on the idea that with the playmakers he has WITH him on that offense that mabe, just MAYBE, we can still surprise one of these last two opponents after all.
Except for that crippled DEFENSEof ours...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
And by the way-- Yeah, we made a game of it for 3 and a half quarters--but in the end, they DIDN'T just "pull away"; THEY HUNG HALF A HUNDRED ON US!!!
It was 38-33 in the middle of the 4th quarter--then somehow a dropped pass just past midfield on 4th and short somehow led to "open flood gates". All that bad blood and mixing-it-up after and in-between plays was preamble, reason to pile it on once the win itself was secured.
WE will need to file that away, repay with INTEREST, eventually.
And we will. But it will have to wait: First now, it is mainly OURSELVES we must focus on, and the two REMAINING opponents that remain for now our main concern.
FORGET about this game: WE LOST.
Next up: A very hot, very TOUGH Missouri team..
I know we are tough enough ourselves to strongly face such a team. But do we have the right emotional attitude? Can we change gear, redouble our efforts, turn and stand to fight once more? We keep coming DAMN CLOSE to doing so. Is this where we just say "F*** It" and lecithin go, maybe save it all for a "last stand in the Swamp" against our longtime cross-state rival?
I hope not. I'd at LEAST like to see us KEEP FIGHTING. And anyway, who KNOWS when and WHERE that big "WIN from NOWHERE" is gonna rise from? Frankly, I'll TAKE it whomever, whenever, WHEREever it comes from.
Oh, and one more thing:
Despite everything, having mostly stayed away, and having left MOST of the game to play out WITHOUT me, I STILL ended up here at the end with an ache in my gut and a pounding tension headache...So what was the point? What was gained?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The offense played well, the Defense needs to step up.
@Leakfan12, @Escambia94,
(My original version of this post was somehow lost, replaced with an earlier unfinished draft...
I have now revamped and refinished it entirely, and feel it is much more relevant to our present situation and discussions):

...Um, "Needs to step up" is probably "TOO GENEROUS" an assessment in MY view, Lf...
"Thinned by injuries" is likewise "too generous" an assessment, gives us too generous an explanation/ EXCUSE for what we allowed you HAPPEN out there last night...
I mean, we made them (especially their QB-1) something akin to "historically Goat-level offense"...I mean, they are pretty potent, but not like WE made him/them OUT to be with our surrendering/"Ole!"-tackling D !!!
I am just thoroughly TIRED of the onfield, "NEVER ENOUGH"-product, game in/game out
I KNOW that it will be a slow, seemingly "hour-hand movement" through and (presumably, eventually) OUT of that kind of barely-perceptible progress--that it MAY only be seen in terms of comparing general performance and outcomes from months apart to even DISCERN that "progress" (it is the steady, plodding rationalized NATURE of our Coach's very "philosophy", it seems)...and I DO believe that he might well eventually GET us where he promises we are HEADED.
I guess I just don't KNOW if I, if ANYONE has the patience and emotional fortitude to wait it OUT, see it THROUGH!
I suppose that I am indeed suffering from a fundamental "crisis of CONSCIENCE":
I see the plan, even can theoretically ACCEPT its theoretical and philosophical underpinnings...
I really DO glimpse its potential GREAT SUCCESS on "some horizon in the attainable FUTURE"--I just have no idea at the moment if I (or ANY Gator) can be expected to suffer THROUGH its by now well-revealed PROCESS for what is proving to be its very EXTENDED period of painful suffering that its path requires of its fans.
Like I said, this IS my own personal "crisis of conscience", something that perhaps could (and possibly SHOULD?) PASS...
I have a feeling that its success may have to come a little sooner than its CURRENT "rate-of-installation's" onfield progress and consistency would so far indicate is showing positive results, y'all know what I am saying?
I think you DO:
2026. I BELIEVE we will, at the current rate of positive forward progress, finally begin truly "competing for CFB Championships on a national stage again by then.
CAN GATOR NATION, more to the point, Can the Powers-that-BE who brought Coach Napier here, WAIT that long, suffer through the "slow-play, incremental growth" that will be our lot in the meantime?

Last edited:

Escambia94

We knew the defense would be challenged more later in the season with a back-loaded schedule. No cupcakes late in the season to regroup against. Nothing is going to change over the next two games. This is the team. There are no magical players sitting on the bench saving redshirts, or if they are then they are still a few snaps away from the lights coming on or maybe they are still recovering from injury (Devin Moore).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We know what we know, E--, and we here at GE generally AGREE on the most salient points.
But currently that doesn't really HELP the pain and confusion of being estranged from the bulk of our fans, AND at the same time frustrated to the point of DISCONNECTION by not merely the PLAY, but the lack of seeming coherent philosophy BEHIND that play on the part of the people tasked with designing and implementing it, well, I am finding it more and more difficult to envision a positive turn towards better days anytime soon.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The Gators went from 45th to 79th in total defense...in one game.
...and NOW it seems our one saving grace, Billy's one redeeming feature and KEY to his and ALL OUR FUTURES, the much-vaunted 2024 recruiting class, appears to be slipping away.
It has already slipped from 3 to 4 with the weekend's loss of the 2 top defensive commits; now comes word of multiple additional flips on the way. If just the 4 rumored to be on the edge of changing their once-solid intentions to sign with us to joining programs that have apparently been working on them back-channel the whole time, suddenly this class slips to 18th--and maybe Billy's gone soon after ALL.
ONLY our somehow stopping the bleeding RIGHT HERE AND NOW, then finding at least a couple of decent candidates to replace what we've already lost, saves our butts now.
My "sinking feelings" regarding THIS season are very quickly I collapsing into a fill-on, tsunami-producing LANDSLIDE of disappointment, lost hope and dissolving dreams.
Our own once optimistic Gatorcentric sites are now sounding a pending death knell for ALL OF IT. One month to go--and I'm no longer thinking about the last games or lost chances at a bowl appearance, but rather our dwindling chance to hold that once "promising in its greatness" recruiting class together.
If we lose it, that's it. Another ten years in limboland post-Napier AND Strickland, mark my words.
And MY pessimistic disgust will know NO BOUNDS!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
..I hope I have been clear, friends:
I don't know if there is actually a true "sudden crisis" in recruiting now, OR if the OPPOSITE is the case--that this is just the start of what was always a "pending onslaught", an in fact INEVITABLE downturn that in abject "denial" we refused to recognize, one that is collapsing upon us now.
However, we can afford no further self-delusion, no continued clinging to the one singular encouragement we saw in our immediate future--that sparkling recruiting class.
I do not know if we can hold what's currently, officially still out there, let alone re-strengthen it by adding to it as we so recently still "planned" to do. Should we indeed pull thar off, I will happily reaffirm my faithful support for Billy Napier's regime and Scott Strickland's far-seeing and continued steadfast plan to bring him here.
However, make no mistake:
Should things now gather spiraling downward momentum as the rumors and early signs indeed turn to material reality, I cannot see myself a patient holdout, like a band member playing dance tunes on the Titannic.
That water looks COLD.

Escambia94

I think Napier is doing well with recruiting, but some high school kids are looking at the short term and want to see wins. Others are motivated by playing time. Some are motivated by the culture Napier is building. Some love the Gators. Some like the NIL cash. Some recruits will decommit regardless of the current win-loss record.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think Napier is doing well with recruiting, but some high school kids are looking at the short term and want to see wins. Others are motivated by playing time. Some are motivated by the culture Napier is building. Some love the Gators. Some like the NIL cash. Some recruits will decommit regardless of the current win-loss record.
The above was seemingly the overall (albeit SURFACE) "TRUTH" up until the last day or two--but something else, some "creeping rot ftom below" appears to be taking hold--an "invisible tide of consequences", if you will, an unstppable trend that has long since been written into our collective eventual cultural DNA with the changes wrought by NIL, transfer portal, general societal selfishness and all the rest.
We've all begun to sense it. "Billy Napier NOW" might well have BEEN "the right Gator hire" 10 years ago, but given the very shifts and changes noted above, that may well no longer be the case.
Now, y'all know I'm not usually one to make strident, bold predictions, and I hope uou'll forgive me choosing to do it here, but I will go this far...
If we lose anything CLOSE to half this once-"encouragingly solid Nation-Leading" 2024 recruiting class (which, believe it or not, is now more and more gatheringly possible, some say LIKELY, with already several other long-time "enthusiastic early commits" supposedly now bending close to flipping elsewhere, under enormous pressure from other suitors, coupled with public and private groups around them urging them to do so), I cannot help but tell you:
BILLY NAPIER WILL BE GONE...
...If not between the coming seasons, but with a PREDICTABLY POOR showing (in record and continued onfield, ingame confusion) in the even TOUGHER schedule we face NEXT year, then by 2025 at the latest--and "HANG THE EXPENSE OF BUYOUT!" will be the cry.
And we will be in a deeper hole than EVER, oh my brothers.
I am no longer a young man (at least in objective years--though for good or ill you'd probably get a different picture and debate from friends and ex-lovers alike), and I absolutely HATE having to now face the morbidly depressing thought that I may NEVER personally see my Gators fighting for (CLAIMING!) Championships once again.
But that is ALL our current danger, exactly the fate we are now most certainly flirting with.
Frankly, I don't KNOW exactly WHAT we can or SHOULD do now to somehow turn this all around. This big '24 class was our LAST CHANCE to even START us on the road back.
I suppose Billy and his people must somehow pull out all the stops; whatever skills and machinations played their part in assembling it, we can only hope and PRAY that it can somehow again be put successfully in play NOW.
Notice that I DIDN'T say we had to "SEE" any of it:
Only results matter now...Where just days, even HOURS ago it was the results ON THE FIELD that we thought this program still needed, it has NOW come down to THIS:
SAVE THIS CLASS OR WATCH YOUR DREAMS SLIP THROUGH YOUR FINGERS, GATORS.
ALL our fingers, boys.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(...and ME, I guess I will just have to slink away, crawl into the background and try not to CARE so much anymore. "TRY...", in any case...)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema