• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Urban to osu???????

kuz318

Gator Fan
So my buddy says he saw an article on espn insider hunting that urban was talking with ohio state to go there when jim tressel leaves
I personally havent seen the article cuz I havent looked but apparantly he has seen a lot of this online

What have u heard?

SEC_Supreme

Gator Fan
That was one of the articles under Rumor Mill on ESPN. I believe all it stated was that UM would be in the running if/when Jim Tressel retired.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, that's just someone putting it out there 'cause he IS now technically "available if and when"--if you think about it, since Tressel isn't going anywhere for at least a few years, this one also assumes Meyer WON'T be doing any real coaching for anyone (unless you count these vague ideas about what he may be doing in his "office at the Gator Athletic Complex") for at least that long. So I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it.

tngator15

Gator Fan
Yeah this appears to be the thing on ESPN Rumor Central... Don't be surprised if it happens. Look at how many times other college coaches have stabbed their former programs in the back...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Now THAT one I believe...and when you consider it, maybe "Media-Guy" is the biggest irony of all, after the way he became increasingly testy, even paranoid with those same folks during his time at UF. By this past year he had verbally attacked a local sports-"personality" (isn't that what they're called, what HE'S about to be?), stonewalled them all at every turn, and even closed practice to all media for the whole season.
Now he's joining "the other side"--after doing so much to define that division in the first place? I don't mean this as some big criticism of Urban Meyer, please understand. It's his prerogative, and if they want him, why not? I have no doubt he can do it, and do it well; I know I'LL watch. I'm merely commenting on the way these things "come around"--and yes, I suppose I DO wonder what goes through the minds of his soon-to-be-colleagues, who must feel as if just weeks ago he still looked at them as "ADVERSARIES".

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Have we not learned our lesson about rumors? If all the rumors were true, then Major Applewhite would be our offensive coordinator, Kirby Smart would be our defensive coordinator, and Bob Stoops would be our head coach right now.

Urban Meyer is going to lay low for a couple years. We do know he talked to Athletic Director Jeremy Foley about his future options. Foley stated that he believes Meyer will be coaching again in 2012, and he has given Meyer a blacklist that includes Georgia. That is on the record, stated by Foley in an interview back in December. You can look for either Dooley's or Andreu's interview on that one.

As for Meyer coaching in the SEC in the future, it probably will not happen. Meyer has two homes (middle Ohio and Gainesville), and a potential dream home at Notre Dame. He made a commitment to his wife and kids to slow down for a couple years. The family has moved to a new home every 2-5 years for 23 years now until they truly found a home in Gainesville. I can relate to that. He agreed with his wife to stay in Gainesville at the very least until 2012, when his son will transition to high school and big boy baseball, and his younger daughter will be well established in college. His older daughter will likely be done with college. Where does he go in 2012? Well, it all depends on how much he likes doing ESPN color commentary on Saturdays, whether a dream job at Ohio State or Notre Dame opens up in 2012, and whether he can assemble a staff in 2012. He may not do ESPN, since Foley has created a job for him at UF that probably pays a couple hundred thousand a year--plenty to get by in Alachua County, Florida.

On top of all this, we do not see any signs that Jim Tressel of OSU or Chip Kelly of Notre Dame are leaving anytime soon. Even if Tressel continues losing bowl games to SEC, he still has the best winning percentage in college football, his program is still among the most profitable, his team still beats up the rest of the Big Ten and he will keep snagging Big Ten championships every couple years.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
There. To everyone worrying about Urban-jumping-to-Ohio-St/Notre Dame/Denver Broncos/Manchester United (just makin' sure y'all'r payin' attention) or WHEREVER, "What E- just said..."
Now, with regard to that last line and Tressel's "fast"-as-long-as-it's-Big Ten-you-compare-it-to team, earlier this evening you all saw the only way a Buckeye team could ever beat an SEC team in the Sugar Bowl: when it was a Razorback team coached by Bobby Petrino. First, Petrino teams play inconsistent "D": good enough to hold off mediocre teams long enough to get a decent lead, putrid when pressured late by good ones. Second, his offenses will move the ball up and down the field, then fail to rise to the occasion when the game's on the line in the 4th qtr.--as they often WILL be against decent teams (like both SEC losses earlier this season, BTW). This one went according to the empirical script...they were lucky to be close, were only in it because Tressel and the Buckeyes had shot their wad and were fading in the 4th themselves, but a few more passes bounced off Razorback hands (breathtaking--a whole WR-core of "C*ckfingers"!!!) and, finally, one more poor decision by Mallet and it was over: Only Arkansas failed to hold up their end of the "SEC-over-everyone-ESPECIALLY-the-Big-Ten" demo leading up to "The Hypocrisy Bowl--Part II", otherwise known as the BCS-Championship. Happy New Year, everybody!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
BREAKING NEWS: The Arkansas Razorbacks have been exiled from the SEC for that loss to a Little 11 team and will return to the Southwest Conference (now the Big 12).

Just kidding. Ohio State had to win eventually. Urban Meyer will just have to wait longer to take over for Tressel.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema