• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

UGA Bulldog has cancer?

Gatorfan24

Gator Fan
I realize this has nothing to do with our beloved Florida, but it does have to do with a rival football team. I don't support UGA, but I do like animals and it is sad to see a dog to develop cancer. Their old one just died last season too, bad couple of generations for UGA.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The actual bulldog has always been "the one Bulldog I CAN like". Sorry to hear of this...bad luck, and condolences to UGA in general and to his owner/handler(s)--it's hard enough losing a beloved animal to old age, let alone when they go before their time. I know.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I remember that! The guy finished off a run out of bounds right in front of UGA, kind of ran right up to him, paused and looked down at him for an instant as if about to mouth off--and UGA suddenly erupted up at him snapping and snarling at the end of his leash! The Auburn player jumped and fell back completely shocked and afraid--Classic!

JvilleJohnny

Best one i could find.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIqGwSiRMKw]YouTube - UGA bites at Auburn player[/ame]

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Nice! Maybe we should get an alligator mascot. Maybe that orange one should be brought to the Swamp.

SEC_Supreme

Gator Fan
I have a bulldog that was just diagnosed with the same lymphoma cancer. We found out two days after Christmas and hasn't been the same around the house since. Fortunately she is quite a bit older than Uga VIII so has atleast been able to lead a good life up to now. I can definitely sympathize with the Bulldog nation though.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sorry, bro'.
(It's hard, I know--"part of life" and all that, but still hurts...and the older they are, the longer they've been with you, which only makes it that much harder. We're with you, Gator.)

That's rough. My wife is a UGA grad and they have had a rough run the past couple of years with UGA's. That breed has a shorter lifespan compared to other dog species to begin with, but he is pretty cute.. i'll this on to her. Hopefully this UGA can continue his duties..

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Sometimes man shouldn't alter with natural selection.

Not to sound cold, but you are right. At my last military assignment we had lots of dogs (don't ask). Certain dogs have been bred for reasons that were not good for natural selection, and those dogs are prone to more diseases than the more "naturally bred" dogs. For example, bulldogs and dachshunds are notorious for shorter lifespan, more bone disease, higher risk of cancer, etc. The dogs that are bred to promote natural selection or that are favorable to survival in the wild or that were not bred for appearance are typically the ones that lead longer, healthier lives. The bulldog is not one of those.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The smaller dogs generally live longer, it turns out--but I'm more a big dog guy (have mostly had retrievers). My last, a Golden, was just an amazing friend, never mind the species. Loved all the animals I raised and lived with, but he was special.
Makes you realize why, much as I love to be alive and want to "see how it all turns out", in this fundamental way it would be a drag to be uniquely long-lived, to live for centuries, if everyone else, everyone you ever cared about, had "normal" lifespans. You'd watch them all inevitably falter, fade, then pass on. Eventually you'd have to harden yourself, not get emotionally involved with other people; ultimately you would walk through the years on the edge of life, seeing and existing, but not really "living" anymore.
As Henry Rollins put it:
"Life is cold and lonely, cruel and hard--AND TOO DAMN SHORT!"
To live it, love it and really get the most out of it, you have to risk and accept the pain and loss.

Gatorfan24

Gator Fan
Well, after looking at some of the more recent UGAs, they are all pretty fat. They should put them on some sort of diet or something so they stop having so many issues.

I know bulldogs normally have a little fat anyway, but they have some more extra baggage on them.

The Zooker

VIP Member
Not to sound cold, but you are right. At my last military assignment we had lots of dogs (don't ask). Certain dogs have been bred for reasons that were not good for natural selection, and those dogs are prone to more diseases than the more "naturally bred" dogs. For example, bulldogs and dachshunds are notorious for shorter lifespan, more bone disease, higher risk of cancer, etc. The dogs that are bred to promote natural selection or that are favorable to survival in the wild or that were not bred for appearance are typically the ones that lead longer, healthier lives. The bulldog is not one of those.

Exactly. The term "natural selection" has become a sort of cliche but it is very real and is very applicable to dog breeding. The type of dog Uga's are bred to be are not a physically sound specimen. They have serious issues. In the real world they would be dead soon after birth. Throw in the inbreeding history and you have an absolute mess of genes. Prone to disease and not structurally sound. I almost think it should be a crime to continue producing specimens like that. They are destined to suffer and die young.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema