• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

UF vs Auburn in Atlanta

The Zooker

VIP Member
After today's events it looks like Atlanta will have us and Auburn. Auburn practically has the West wrapped up barring some unusual circumstances, like Auburn losing to Georgia AND Alabama. Alabama has a shot but Georgia doesn't have much of one. I can see one occurring (it's the SEC) but not both. And after watching South Carolina tonight I think we have a good chance of beating them. Not to mention their serious issues with injuries. Perhaps Meyer can get his first win against Auburn in the SEC title game. It would be sweet revenge. As far as matching up with them, I think it will turn into a shoot out. In the end it will come down to our defense having to make a couple key stands in my opinion.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm surprised at you, Zooker--doesn't seem like the year for "getting ahead of ourselves". I'm leaning the same way, but superstition AND logic counsel caution: we just beat Vanderbilt, after all, not Knute Rockney's 4-Horsemen Notre Dame team. Let's see how the players AND coaches handle a little success, and continue to develop what is still clearly "a work in progress". Lots to address--and that Gamecock "D" is not terrible.
(Our defense should be able to match up, though--damn, hard to believe that's a Steve Spurrier offense they run...)
Lots to say about Atlanta "if and when", but let's "qualify" first--THEN we can start assessing "them" (with the Cam-thing and their efforts to blame it all on Urban Meyer added into the mix, though, it would be a fitting confrontation, with all kinds of back-story and grudges to settle, etc.).

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I think it's very possible. They just need to beat S Car though anyway really think the Gators will beat Auburn? The 2007 team lost to Tigers and the 2007 team was better and that Auburn had two losses prior and they still held them to 17 points when Percy, Murphy, and Tebow were on the team.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I am not thinking of Auburn-Florida. I am taking it one game at a time. The Gators 1st half against UGA and 1st half at Vandy look promising, but there is not enough mojo for me to get Cocky against the Mighty Gamecocks. Sorry, had to do it. I will never underestimate the Ol' Ball Coach. I'll make my SEC Championship picks next week after the game.

Escambia94

The good thing about beating Vandy is that it gave us a good tune-up for SC and put us back into the AP top 25. It tells us nothing about Auburn and the SEC East champion.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am not thinking of Auburn-Florida. I am taking it one game at a time. The Gators 1st half against UGA and 1st half at Vandy look promising, but there is not enough mojo for me to get Cocky against the Mighty Gamecocks. Sorry, had to do it. I will never underestimate the Ol' Ball Coach. I'll make my SEC Championship picks next week after the game.

That's the "Bottom Line" right there, IMO.

Again: I too will have some things to say about all the rest--but let's just approach this as we hope our team does and concentrate on the one right in front of us.

The Zooker

VIP Member
I don't think you guys fully comprehend the seriousness of all the injuries South Carolina has right now. They're in pretty bad shape. I'm calling it now. Gators win. I've never been more sure of a win over the Cocks than this year.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
As usual, "I hope you're right, Zooker" (I may have to make that a permanent programmed 1-key-response).
I knew they were banged up, but not to the degree you say; I believe you, of course, but again, caution (not to mention the Gators already losing 2 games they "woulda shoulda coulda" won!) dictates focusing on the next game, and getting the win.

The Zooker

VIP Member
I'm going to make a pledge now. If Addazio does not exploit the broken and banged up Cocks secondary, then I am officially making a hundred dollar donation to firesteveaddazio.com. That secondary has lost their best players to injury and the backups are not any good whatsoever. They have been getting torched. If Addazio does not go after them then I'm sending a Benjamin to the FSA site. He didn't exploit Alabama's weak secondary and tried to run up the middle on their stellar run defense. If he didn't learn anything from that then I'm going to snap. Household furniture items will be victimized as well.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm going to make a pledge now. If Addazio does not exploit the broken and banged up Cocks secondary, then I am officially making a hundred dollar donation to firesteveaddazio.com. That secondary has lost their best players to injury and the backups are not any good whatsoever. They have been getting torched. If Addazio does not go after them then I'm sending a Benjamin to the FSA site. He didn't exploit Alabama's weak secondary and tried to run up the middle on their stellar run defense. If he didn't learn anything from that then I'm going to snap. Household furniture items will be victimized as well.

(LOL) I've got a better use for that "Benjamin", in the event:
Buy some spray cans of paint and slip the rest of the change to some kid to return "FIRE ADDAZIO" to The Wall down there near campus. (There's a picture making "the rounds" that shows UF maintenance-guys using paint rollers to cover over it the other day--and from what I'm told, it's not even University property: it's supposed to be there "for everyone"...I guess that includes the influence of the UF Athletic Dept. Guess I don't really blame them, but if it comes to it, KEEP THE PRESSURE ON, right?)

Escambia94

We have faced other teams with suspect secondaries and elected to pound it up the middle. I want to get excited that the three-headed monster changes things, but this has been one of those years. I am 50.001% sure we will beat SC. Normally I would be 99.9999% sure we can beat an injured SC team. Normally. This ain't a normal year.

The Zooker

VIP Member
I'm willing to forgive Steve for all his past issues if he will just come out and properly coach this hugely important game. But if he does not follow the basic things you learn in Coaching 101 then I'm going to take a more proactive role against him. I can't blame a guy for making mistakes. We all do. But if the guy doesn't learn from mistakes and evolve then there's a problem.

The Zooker

VIP Member
It's already decided. South Carolina has no chance. I haven't seen Urban Meyer this fired up in a long time.

Escambia94

As much as I love watching a fired up Meyer, it kinda annoyed me when he called out Spurrier by saying, "Chris Leak is a better QB, because he won a national championship." Let's not push Spurrier into an emotional battle. He can harbor a grudge and make you pay. Maybe not this year, but it will come.

The Zooker

VIP Member
As much as I love watching a fired up Meyer, it kinda annoyed me when he called out Spurrier by saying, "Chris Leak is a better QB, because he won a national championship." Let's not push Spurrier into an emotional battle. He can harbor a grudge and make you pay. Maybe not this year, but it will come.

Nobody EVER gets the best of Spurrier through media comments. Spurrier revolutionized coach trash talk. "Free Shoes University." "Can't spell Citrus without U and T." That's just the tip of the iceberg. If I were a head coach I would steer clear of Spurrier's bad side. He will make you look like a fool in the battle of soundbites.

The Zooker

VIP Member
Plus, I just don't think it's kosher to be ranking Gators like that. He should have used the typical Meyer diversion tactic to skirt around that issue. Use a coaching cliche or something about how everyone is a part of the Gator nation et cetera.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Coach's comments surprised the hell out of me--and y'all are right, it's a bad move all around.
Up 'til now, SS seemed content to "keep it civil" and none too emotional when it came to hooking up with his alma mater. Maybe he put his "legacy" here and the good will of Gator fans above what up until now has been (except for that first meeting) rather less-than-a-rivalry. Ya don't want to kick over THAT potential hornets nest, for either the off- or on-field dangers you mention.
Urban: Just take care of biz, shake hands and let's get to Atlanta.

Leakfan12

VIP Member

So can Meyer, just ask Mark Richt.

Escambia94

So can Meyer, just ask Mark Richt.

Meyer has not been able to run the score on Richt. Spurrier ran the score on UGA because of his playing days 20-30 years prior! Now, that's a grudge. What has Meyer done? Called two time outs at the end of a game, and that's about it, other than just winning. No complaints. I prefer the Gators to just win without pissing off the rest of SEC by trash talking. Sure, it was entertaining, but I am okay without trash talk.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema