• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Tulsa QB Paul Smith wins Wuerrfel Trophy

Tulsa quarterback Paul Smith won the Wuerrfel Trophy on Tuesday in recognition of his academic and athletic achievements and a commitment to community service.

Smith had three 400-yard passing games this season while leading the nation's most productive offense. He also carries a 3.84 grade-point average, and is the president of Fellowship of Christian Athletes at the university. Smith devotes time to an inner city ministry and programs that educate young people to make positive choices about drugs and alcohol.

"I'm really honored. It's not just an award to me, it's about a person. He's someone I grew up watching and wanting to be like," Smith said in a statement. "I was raised in a Christian home by Christian parents and grandparents. He's lived his life in a way that is pleasing to the Lord and that's something my parents have wanted me to do."

Smith set a school record with 4,753 yards passing this season, throwing for at least 300 yards in each of Tulsa's games to lead the Golden Hurricane to the Conference USA title game.

Tulsa will face Bowling Green in the GMAC Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Jan. 6.
Wuerrfel won the Heisman Trophy in 1996 while leading Florida to the national championship. The award has been given out by the All Sports Association of Fort Walton Beach the past three years. Past winners were LSU's Rudy Niswanger and Ohio State's Joel Penton.

http://gatorsports.com/article/20071204/NEWS/71204029/1016

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema