• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Trey Burton what happens to him next yr?

he's not a great TE imo Gerald Christian and Jordan Reed could be alot better i think their just built so much more for TE then trey

so what happens our star freshmen next yr?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Trey Burton Tweeted that he was moving to defense. He has the size to be a LB, small DE (if he is still growing), or S. I would call it a done deal. Also, one of Burton's best friends on the team was Ahmad Black. I can imagine that Black helped plant the idea in Burton's head. Burton also played some LB in high school.

Jordan Reed has a wide-open future. He could fight for the QB position, stay at QB as the #3, move to TE permanently, or transfer to another school.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Burton IS the proverbial "Athlete", the kind of kid that probably goes out and shoots low-80's the first time he tries a round of golf, just takes to EVERYTHING physically competitive (I've known a couple of these types in the Army). As good as he is at most things, he'll be GREAT at the RIGHT thing--just has to find it.
Now, Reed is a quarterback and, considering our situation at that position, turns out we are lucky to have him. He will play this year no matter what, I believe, and will back up Driskel by 2012, latest. Depending on how Brantley performs and how fast Driskel comes along, Jordan Reed might find himself anything from the starter, 2nd and/or third-string at various points in 2011--in ADDITION to coming in as a kind of "Wildcat" ("Gator-cat"? ""Wild-Tebow"?) change-of-pace for a series here and there in every game, as I think Weis will continue to use him (at least for now).

Escambia94

I do not think Weis will deploy any Wildcat formations. I just do not see him as the type that does that. Maybe I just missed it. Did he ever do that at Notre Dame or Kansas City?

I really doubt Jordan Reed has a future at QB except as #3. Even in 2011 I see us recruiting a 4 or 5 star to back up Driskel.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That IS the other possibility, that we get another high-rated QB in this class--but I'm not aware of any prospects thus far, and even WITH one I can't see him being anything but a redshirt. Meanwhile, Reed's here NOW, already has come a long way at this level--and I gotta believe Charlie can do something with him. If not, well, disregard EVERYTHING I said--he's either gone from QB or gone from UF, and good thing we found out NOW...
As for HOW Reed is used and in what way Weis adapts the player and/or the scheme to accomplish this if he DOES stay at quarterback, at this point I'm guessin', just like everyone else...but I think we can be sure at least that, unlike our LAST OC, he WILL "adapt" either or both as necessary--in the case of Reed AND Brantley, for that matter.
Admittedly I just "took a stab" with that wildcat-idea: It's not known as a "Weis-thing", but it IS more and more accepted at the pro-level, a way of "breaking" certain defensive tendencies when a fast offense is bogged down, getting its running game stuffed, and (also in contrast to our FORMER OC) Weis IS a flexible innovator who will use what he's got AND incorporate "new" ideas (in a way, NOTHING is completely "new" in football--just wrinkles on once common approaches now dormant, almost forgotten--in this case like the single wing). Unless we WERE to pick up another QB, one who ISN'T slated for the redshirt, I think Weis HAS to see about keeping Reed there and developing him in that backup roll, for 2012 at LEAST (and, as I say, possibly more than that, one way or the other, in 2011).

awebbf5

VIP Member
Imo I think trey would be a great slot reciever in a pro style formation, hes got really good hands.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Ha! Last season throwing to "c*ckfingers" could be like playing with one fewer down in every series, so predictable was his miss, at least when it meant anything. He MAY even have been directly responsible for Brantley's complete abandonment of the long pass by the start of SEC play, so consistently did Thompson miss those few early tries--the only question was (and IS, from Weis's perspective and who plays QB in 2011) always who made the decision to stop trying to stretch the field, JB (by now lacking confidence) or Addazio (ALWAYS lacking imagination and cajones).

The Zooker

VIP Member
I do not think Weis will deploy any Wildcat formations. I just do not see him as the type that does that. Maybe I just missed it. Did he ever do that at Notre Dame or Kansas City?

I really doubt Jordan Reed has a future at QB except as #3. Even in 2011 I see us recruiting a 4 or 5 star to back up Driskel.

Weis never ran those types of plays but the man does know how to utilize the talent he has on hand. He's just always had pocket passers and good receivers so the focus was on the vertical passing game. When he went to Kansas City he saw that he had a good setup for running the ball. So he turned them into the best rushing team in the NFL even though he was always known as a pass first coach. I truly believe he will adapt and use the talents we have on the field. Especially after Muschamp said he wasn't going to shove a square peg into a round hole by forcing kids to play in schemes they are built for. Once they've had time to recruit their own players, I believe the playcalling will go back to a balanced pro style offense since Weis will have stud players at all positions. But don't be surprised if you see Driskel scrambling the ball on some designed plays in the meantime.

Escambia94

Weis never ran those types of plays but the man does know how to utilize the talent he has on hand. He's just always had pocket passers and good receivers so the focus was on the vertical passing game. When he went to Kansas City he saw that he had a good setup for running the ball. So he turned them into the best rushing team in the NFL even though he was always known as a pass first coach. I truly believe he will adapt and use the talents we have on the field. Especially after Muschamp said he wasn't going to shove a square peg into a round hole by forcing kids to play in schemes they are built for. Once they've had time to recruit their own players, I believe the playcalling will go back to a balanced pro style offense since Weis will have stud players at all positions. But don't be surprised if you see Driskel scrambling the ball on some designed plays in the meantime.

I guess that it has been so long since I have seen the Gators mold a system to a player and not the player to the system that I do not know what to expect. Either way, Driskel was listed as a pro-style, pocket passer despite his scrambling abilities, so he will fit either way regardless of what is asked. I am excited.

The Zooker

VIP Member
Yeah, that's the upside of Driskel. He can fit any offensive scheme. You can run him like Cam at Auburn or you can have him be a pure drop back. He has the skill set to do either or both. But I'm hoping Weis saw footage of the UA game. Driskel is a freak at breaking tackles and scrambling. You'd have to be crazy not to design at least a couple plays around that.

Escambia94

Yeah, that's the upside of Driskel. He can fit any offensive scheme. You can run him like Cam at Auburn or you can have him be a pure drop back. He has the skill set to do either or both. But I'm hoping Weis saw footage of the UA game. Driskel is a freak at breaking tackles and scrambling. You'd have to be crazy not to design at least a couple plays around that.

Or you could be nicknamed the Dazzler.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Let's not forget: WEIS has some "things to prove", too, don't you think? He is, shall we say, "aware of his own strengths", and in coming to UF JUMPED at the opportunity to show all the nay-sayers (and, from his POV impatiently ungrateful Notre Dame fans and boosters) what he can do with the offense at a REAL "College Powerhouse", one with the resources, reputation and reach that Notre Dame THINKS is its birthright but hasn't really had in a long time. The College-game is his first love, and you know he feels he was never given the time that restoring the Irish to anything LIKE what it once was required.
Now he can cherry-pick the best talent in America. He intends to demonstrate how he can win with a SUCCESSION of offensive schemes: first with what he's got when he gets here, then through the transition, and eventually with a kind of "Weis All-Star-Team" he envisions as his final argument to all the critics.
Ego is not necessarily a bad thing, when it drives you to greatness.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema