• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The Very Next Question for the New Coach...

G8RB8R

VIP Member
Does this mean, that with Meyer sitting in the front office, that Addazio will stay on as the OC, since Urbie is Steve's pal?

Until I hear different, this may not be the happy day every one seems to think it is.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
NOOOOOOO!!!! We'll all take burning torches, see, and we march en mass, an ugly, angry muttering mob, up to the mansion-on-the-hill, determined to "Burn out the Monster!"

Or they can make that "NEXT decision" even more quickly and announce an exciting, encouraging hire for OC in the next day or two. One more reason to do so, to put us all at ease that all is well and the program IS in good hands and the future IS bright--not to mention calm the fears among our prospective recruits and recoup any lost momentum in our drive for a top class.

G8RB8R

VIP Member
NOOOOOOO!!!! We'll all take burning torches, see, and we march en mass, an ugly, angry muttering mob, up to the mansion-on-the-hill, determined to "Burn out the Monster!"

Or they can make that "NEXT decision" even more quickly and announce an exciting, encouraging hire for OC in the next day or two. One more reason to do so, to put us all at ease that all is well and the program IS in good hands and the future IS bright--not to mention calm the fears among our prospective recruits and recoup any lost momentum in our drive for a top class.

With so many better qualified candidates for HC out there, that Foley FAILED to interview, I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid.

Another problem I see with hiring somebody this young, is that there may be a willingness to jump ship for ever greener pastures. Suppose Richt leaves UGA in the next 3 years, and the UF program is again close to the top, but not quite there, think he might bail for his alma mater?

Just thinking out loud, you understand. This guy has been a coach at 8 different programs in the last 15 years.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
With so many better qualified candidates for HC out there, that Foley FAILED to interview, I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid.

Another problem I see with hiring somebody this young, is that there may be a willingness to jump ship for ever greener pastures. Suppose Richt leaves UGA in the next 3 years, and the UF program is again close to the top, but not quite there, think he might bail for his alma mater?

Just thinking out loud, you understand. This guy has been a coach at 8 different programs in the last 15 years.

Mmmmmmmmm. Burnt orange Kool-aid.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator

Had the same reaction, with these same concerns plus a few more, upon first hearing the news. If you read my initial reaction on your "Bob Stoops..."-thread (I was in the middle of going over the different rumors and scenarios that were dominating discussion "out there" on the web when the news came through by phone text from one of my Gator search-engines), you'll see my unedited first-take: "What is Foley THINKING?!!!" was my first question.
With some time to consider the hire from both my own perspective and those of fellow Gators, I'm more inclined to be conditionally optimistic--pending of course the choice for OC, which is now of crucial, over-arching importance...and with the whole recruiting class now in the balance, that decision requires speed as well as wisdom.
If Muschamp doesn't have a "my guy" already in tow for the job, could there already be an "arrangement" in the works? The danger of course is the one you've already put out there, that we'd get stuck with Addazio again somehow, but it's a less obvious pitfall that concerns me: that our new Head Coach doesn't realize the importance of this hire, the pivotal point in our team's development (or lack thereof), and depth of feeling among all of Gator Nation at seeing this fixed NOW that is bound up in it.
Here's hoping that either that is NOT the case, or that Foley has or WILL add his head and/or hand to the process as necessary.

G8RB8R

VIP Member
Just my own humble opinion, and no one has to agree with me, but I think Foley is a huge BOOB! He is the main reason Spurrier jumped ship on us back in 2001.

Bernie Machen is responsible for Urban Meyer being at UF, not Foley. Outside of Steve Spurrier, when Foley has had the responsiblility for the new hires, they all sucked. If Meyer had become incompetent, then why must we have to suffer with this idiot's decisions. The university and the Booster organization made a huge mistake in letting Spurrier walk, and keeping Foley instead.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Is that really how it went down? It's some time ago, water under the bridge and all but suddenly it's relevant once more: I'm seriously asking. I always thought Foley was bright and on-top-of-things, but with a penchant for the sometimes over-reaching gamble when it came to a hiring-crisis/crossroad. I'll admit, your version gives a more direct-if-darkly-pessimistic explanation of the events and possible missteps of the past decade or more. If you're right, this time EVERYTHING'S riding on the OC hire PLUS Muschamp's ability to actually make the jump up that Mack Brown promised him but for some reason never got around to even let him CLOSE to actually doing at Texas.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
My question is, if Major Applewhite is our OC, how many of these players were recruited correctly?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema