• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The Time Was Right

G8RB8R

VIP Member
urbret.gif

Found this on my FaceBook page this morning!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The time was probably right, not in terms of a Shawshank Redemption-esque reunion between Red (Urban Meyer) and Andy Dufresne (Timmy Tebow) in Mexico (Denver), but in terms of Urban leaving with the program not torn down to Ron Zook level. Most coaches coming here will see the talent, the prestige, the paycheck, and possibly some Meyer protege coaches and will overlook the 2010 season.

My only "complaint" would be that Urban Meyer could have said something to Foley last year such as, "Mr. Foley. I know I just retired out of fear over health problems. I want to come back for a year and see how well I can change my lifestyle and still be your coach of the Gators. Just in case, you might want to schmooze over the next few months with a few coaches who might want to step into this spot should I re-retire in a year or two due to health issues." It is possible that Foley has kept a list taped under his desk just in case and has been playing golf with Chris Petersen, Bobby Stoops, et al since last January, which would make the search that much easier.

I guess it was the right time, especially if we are not going after a coach that has a January bowl game. Looking at E-94's top candidates, Petersen, Stoops, Whittingham, Bell, and Malzahn, only Petersen, Whittingham and Bell are free before New Year's. Stoops and Malzahn will be busy up to New Year's. Maybe it was good timing. Until the day arrives, I don't care about the presents under my Christmas tree. I am waiting for New Year's.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
First, got to give G8RB8R another "Thanks" for the laughs this morn'--hilarious, if a little weird (it's those frozen faces, the used-car-salesman-like smiling Urban and the "hungry"-yet-haggard Tim...makes it all funnier though, somehow).
Jack&Dew came up with the "Urban-gives-Addazio-year-long-audition and Foley-knew-it-early-on"-scenario; as I said, don't know how preconceived or (once hatched, IF "hatched") from what point Foley was "in on it", but given "what's done is done" and putting all the obvious questions, nuances and implications aside, all in all the timing could have been a lot worse. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Foley HAS been VERY quietly gathering intelligence, preparing for this process in every way possible without alerting opponents, the press/media OR Gator Nation. Another thing I suppose we may never know--but ask yourself this: would anything truly have been served, would there have been any real advantage in a mid-season, months-long search, one either in the glare of media scrutiny OR under the threat of being discovered by such at any time? No, while we may have a dissenting opinion as to the whole Meyer/Addazio charade to begin with, if that is what it was, now that it is done we are probably better off with the situation and time frame we now find ourselves facing.
And in a certain sense, this IS now like a "Christmas present", sitting under the tree in shiny wrapping for all to see, causing great excitement, waiting to be opened.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
First, got to give G8RB8R another "Thanks" for the laughs this morn'--hilarious, if a little weird (it's those frozen faces, the used-car-salesman-like smiling Urban and the "hungry"-yet-haggard Tim...makes it all funnier though, somehow).
Jack&Dew came up with the "Urban-gives-Addazio-year-long-audition and Foley-knew-it-early-on"-scenario; as I said, don't know how preconceived or (once hatched, IF "hatched") from what point Foley was "in on it", but given "what's done is done" and putting all the obvious questions, nuances and implications aside, all in all the timing could have been a lot worse. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Foley HAS been VERY quietly gathering intelligence, preparing for this process in every way possible without alerting opponents, the press/media OR Gator Nation. Another thing I suppose we may never know--but ask yourself this: would anything truly have been served, would there have been any real advantage in a mid-season, months-long search, one either in the glare of media scrutiny OR under the threat of being discovered by such at any time? No, while we may have a dissenting opinion as to the whole Meyer/Addazio charade to begin with, if that is what it was, now that it is done we are probably better off with the situation and time frame we now find ourselves facing.
And in a certain sense, this IS now like a "Christmas present", sitting under the tree in shiny wrapping for all to see, causing great excitement, waiting to be opened.

Do we get to keep the receipt? What if we get Lane Kiffen? Just kidding.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I can't tell if I'm relieved, rationalizing or what at this point--I DO know I'm sitting here in lounging get-up sipping more cognac than ever, balanced on that warm, fine edge (or trying to be, at any rate).
What, me worry? (Apologies to Alfred E. Newman)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema