• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Tebow had a better game than Orton

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Tebow 6 out of 7 vs Orton's 2 of 6. If I was John Fox, I lean toward Tebow. I know first preseason game but still.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It's what we've always said about Tebow: it's about what he can do ON-THE-FIELD, in a real game...but this is no "fair fight". TT was on the outside from the start here. He was never the coach's guy, and then there's Fox' boss, John Elway. Now THERE'S a stubborn fool with a gargantuan ego, PLUS a deeply buried animosity towards ANYONE who might displace him in the hearts of Denver fans and/or Bronco lore. Finally, there's the "Merril Hoge-effect". I have seldom witnessed such a strange polarization: when people decide (for whatever reason) that they don't like Tebow, they immediately swing to a wild extreme, marked by profound hostility and resentment. The only cure for it is when he's on your team, gets in there, and WINS in his singular, relentlessly creative and tenacious fashion. Elway, and by extension Fox, appear determined not to let that happen, under any circumstances. I suspect he'll be made the THIRD string QB, behind Brady Quinn. Yeah. Brady Quinn.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I watched the game on TV and took copious notes. Overall I would say Tebow looked best of the three. Quinn put together the best drive, the last offensive possession from the Broncos. To be fair, Tebow also pulled the most boneheaded series with his illegal forward pass. He also threw the ugliest pass of the day. Despite those down moments, Tebow showed that he can play better than Orton or Quinn.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(laughing) ..."Boneheaded", yeah, but also kind of a shot of everything TT is about-- a big, fun kid having a ball, being creative and never giving up, never quitting. OK, it was full of stuff that No Fun League-nay-sayers claim "You can't do that kind of thing in the NFL!", but with some work, discipline and experience with the first team offense, "that kind of thing" won't often be necessary--until that one time when it IS, the men around him know what's possible, and the lot of 'em, Tebow, linemen and receivers know where they are and what they have to do. TT's one of those guys who can catch lightening in a bottle, then do it again.
Anyway, it made me laugh, and even though I could just HEAR the haters howling, I saw it as "Tebow being (uniquely) Tebow". The guy just wants to win, will do anything to pull it out of the fire, with no regard for how it might look if it fails. I'm sure the coaches will talk to him about balancing risks versus rewards and the need to consider the likeliest outcomes at this level ("This is the NFL--sometimes it's best to just throw it away..." might have been what Fox whispered to him on the sidelines after that play, before patting him on the head), and it's hard to argue in this case...but it was also the most exciting play thru' most of the game (at least 'til the last 2 plays at the very end of the game, the TD and the 2-point conversion). You want to see TT settle in, grow and "play within himself", but you DON'T want him to lose that jazz-riffing, exhilaratingly creative way he can make things happen when the play breaks down or there's nothing there to start with.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Hey, I'm rooting for Timmy to succeed as well, but when I take off the O&B glasses the only way to describe that play is boneheaded. No way to sugar coat it. As long as he gets better...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK, point taken. (Still got a laugh, though--and personally, I do want Tebow to keep "going after it" in that exuberant way. Well, alright, not exactly THAT way, but I think you get my meaning here...)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema