• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"Talk of the Town": The offseason has arrived

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
Now that it’s been a week since the NFL draft, I’m really feeling the offseason start to set in – I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m already anxious for Florida football to start up again this fall. Still, I have a chance to get caught up on some other things at home that need my attention before the season starts back up again.

I was VERY impressed with the NFL draft this year, especially where the Gators were concerned. Much to the contrary of what Todd McShay and Mel Kiper were spouting off, Tim Tebow was drafted in the first round by the Denver Broncos. Compared to his predecessors, I look for Timmy to break out of that “product of the system” stereotype and adapt to the professional league with very little difficulty. The fact that we had nine players drafted speaks huge volumes for Urban Meyer’s recruiting prowess since he recruited these kids, and also the level to where he’s brought Florida football to. As far as future recruiting efforts, I see only positives and UF becoming a more attractive decision for future talent to come into the program. So much for those imbeciles in the media accusing Urban of not preparing his players for the next level…..

It never ceases to amaze me how jealous others are of Urban Meyer’s success to-date. The great guys at Gators and More up there in Jax share the same thoughts I do about the Dallas Cowboys’ Jerry Jones shooting off his mouth about Aaron Hernandez’s alleged failed drug tests while still a Gator and the way Urban is running the Gator football program – apparently Jones never followed Gator football back in 2006 when Meyer dismissed Marcus Thomas for being a repeat offender of the drug policy, as well as a player on his Utah Utes team back a while ago. Wouldn’t you know that notorious fishwrap known as the Orlando Sentinel would stick their two cents’ in as well, but then again I’m not surprised as they are always looking to extol the negative aspects of Gator Football. If any of these people think they can do a better job than Meyer and his staff have done, let them prove it – put up or shut up, guys.

That being said though, I still believe that Gator Nation needs to count their blessings and realize how lucky we are in having somebody like Coach Meyer guiding our program. What he has done with the Gator football program has been phenomenal, and he’s far from done yet. As critical as I’ve seen others around cyberspace of some of the things he’s done, I myself see nothing but upside. After three difficult years of Ron Zook, I’ve always been grateful for what Urban has done in getting the players he inherited to slowly buy into what he’s calling the Florida Way, and setting a higher standard for future players to strive for. Luckily he’s still at a point where he’s not being forced to rebuild and “start from scratch” as others have said, but he merely needs to reload and boost his depth chart year after year. If any of you still think the Zooker is a “master recruiter”, think again – since he’s been at Illinois, Zook can’t hold a candle to Meyer where recruiting, and especially coaching acumen, is concerned. Two National Championships, a BCS bowl win, and coaching a Heisman Trophy winner in a matter of a five season span is one hell of an accomplishment. Myself, I ‘m looking forward to much more in years to come!

I had a prior commitment this year and wasn’t able to attend the Orlando Gator Gathering, but I hope to get to some of the other events later this year – and I also hope Coach Meyer is taking some much needed time for himself and his family prior to the start of the fall preseason. That, and also hoping our guys heeded Meyer's speech during spring practice and stay out of trouble.

Saw one of my other favorite Gator bloggers, “Swampie”, is headed into retirement - I’ll really miss you.

Now that the off-season has arrived, I’ll still keep my eyes and ears peeled for Gator news wherever it may be – I’m anxious to hear how our new Gator rookies in the NFL will make the transition from college to the pros during the OTA’s and minicamps coming up later this spring.

That, and planning my gameday menus for the upcoming season. Trust me, it’ll be here sooner than we think.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema