• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"Talk of the Town": Stop and Smell The Roses, Gator Nation

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
"You've gotta stop and smell the roses,
You've got to count your many blessings every day,
You're gonna find your way to heaven is a rough and rocky road
If you don't stop and smell the roses along the way."
- Mac Davis

I was just inspired after reading a blog post on another board to write my latest segment of "Talk of the Town"; it made me stop and wonder how lucky we members of Gator Nation are to have probably the best college football coach in the country in Urban Meyer - we as a fanbase sometimes take too much for granted and get lost in the heat of the moment that we often don't stop to realize our good fortune as of late.
A fellow Gator wrote the following lines in praise of Coach Meyer, and frankly I was moved to goosebumps after reading these lines:
<em>"It has been said that courage under fire is not the absence of fear. Rather it is facing the fire in spite of your fear. Most folks don’t realize the pressure that top level coaches face on a daily basis. Pressure from the fans; pressure from the boosters; pressure from the media; pressure from the players; pressure to win and win and win; it never lets up. Most successful coaches are highly competative, driven individuals. It is less about the big salary and much more about personal pride and the will to win. Added to all of this are the physical demands; long hours of practice, scouting, recruiting, media interviews not to mention the games themselves. A coach is constantly fighting mental and physical exhaustion. There is a never ending stream of highs and lows. A player gets in trouble; a top recruit is lost; key players are injured; a crucial game is won or lost. No wonder most coaches, especially head coaches, suffer from some degree of burnout. Panic attacks are the result of feeling trapped in pressure situations over which you have no control. One very natural response is to run away. Even the strongest of us have limits to our ability to endure pressure. That doesn’t mean we lack courage. It simply means we have reached the limit of our physical and emotional resources. I firmly believe that Urban Meyer is doing the right thing by taking a step back and examining his priorities. With some time away from the pressure and with the support of his family; the administration and the Gator Nation he will make the best decision for himself and his loved ones. All the best Coach!"</em>

Yes, we are very fortunate to have had Coach Meyer reconsider his original decision and take time out to address his health; let's face it, Gator football wouldn't have been the same without him. There would have been no guarantee of the same level of success we've enjoyed over the past five years - in spite of some of the obstacles thrown in his path, Coach Meyer has managed to either come out ahead or make the best of a bad situation. What really irked me over these years were those fans who continue to complain and rant instead of realizing what position this team was in. I still say that we've been spoiled as a fanbase, kindness in part of the Steve Spurrier years - but look at what unpleasant atmosphere these same spoiled fans create when their lofty expectations aren't met to their complete satisfaction - it creates friction all around. Between this and the player issues, no wonder why Coach needs a break. I'm just glad that he's been able to handle the pressure being placed on him from so many angles and managed to stay one step ahead of the game, but eventually one can reach the breaking point from the constant pressure and start to fatigue. I'm really glad Coach is starting to feel better, and in the end I'm glad he opted for what turned out to be a better decision for all - I just hope we all can be appreciative of that.

<em>"With the recent upheaval in college coaching (Leech, Leavitt, Kiffin etc.), it would be well for the Gator Nation to realize what Urban has been carrying on his shoulders for the last five years; without complaint I might add. He loves his family and he loves the Gators. He has sacrificed his health and family life to raise our football program to historical levels and he has done it with honesty and integrity. The players are the best guage of the value of this good man. They love him because he has treated them as his own children; firmness when it was needed but always love and respect for each of his “kids”. That is why the tears flow so freely between these young men and their coach. We must all let Urban know how much we care about him as a brother and not just as a coach. This is what separates the Gator Nation from the other programs. Having a man of the caliber of Urban Meyer as our leader along with the other fine coaches in the athletic programs is our best protection against the scandals that have befallen so many universities."</em>

Another good point here; once again we're fortunate not to have experienced scandalous situations as Texas Tech, South Florida and Tennessee have been forced to deal with recently. Thank God we have a man like Urban Meyer at Florida - indeed he's a man of integrity as well as one of principle unlike a certain somebody who just relinquished his former position to head back to Southern California. His way of doing things is something to be admired and not scorned as far as I see it. Again I am very confident that Urban will be back on the Florida sidelines later this year, and I also hope that ALL of Gator Nation will come to love and appreciate him for what he has done as a coach as well as for the good person he is.

Unfortunately these good times can't last forever, so let's live for the moment, Gator Nation - and take some time to stop and smell the roses.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema