• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Spring Game won't determine QB starter

travisduncan

Gator Fan
Coach Will Muschamp says he battle for the starting QB job, between sophomores Jacoby Brissett and Jeff Driskel, probably won't be decided until August.

"Right now, I honestly I don't know that we will name a starter after spring, we're going to go in the fall camp, that to me is becoming more and more evident everyday," Muschamp said.

"Both guys are guys we can win with, bottom line, and that's good for us.”

As he has in previous weeks, he again said he was most pleased with both quarterback’s ability to run the team "procedurally". Muschamp doesn't want a sloppy offense.

Both Driskel and Brissett continue to watch lots of film as well this spring. Either way Muschamp says the spring game is "not going to be D-Day" and one day won't determine the overall decision which will be made at the position.

Other notes:

-Muschamp says the overall depth of the team is better this year than last and that has spurred competition and the players have worked really hard.

According to the coach there is no question the "overall physicality" of his football team is improved from this time last year, but it needs to transfer over to game day.

Muschamp also says he can already see the changes in the player’s bodies with new strength and conditioning coach Jeff Dillman on the staff. He says its critical that Dillman sends the same message of hard work and physicality this summer when NCAA rules prohibit Muschamp and the coaching staff from contact with players.

-Lighting cut short scrimmage on Saturday

-The team is very healthy, minor things are keeping some guys out of practice day-to-day.

-Andre Debose scored a touchdown in the scrimmage.

-Punt returning: Muschamp says they aren't doing much live special teams work in the spring so it’s hard to say what the return game will look like.

Muschamp listed off a number of guys who could return punts: Debose, Loucheiz Purifoy, Pop Saunders, Marcus Roberson, Frankie Hammond, Trey Burton.

Muschamp said that of all those athletes, they really need Debose to step up in that role. He said that Debose jumps out at him as "the guy" at that position.

For kick returns that same list applies, but throw in Omarius Hines and Cody Riggs to that group.

-Muschamp said they would not divide up the teams so to speak for the Spring Game Saturday but rather will keep the first and second units together. He said they may do that next year.

-At the safety Josh Evans and Matt Elam are the key starters but Cody Riggs, Valdez Showers, Pop (De'Ante) Saunders and Jabari Gorman will receive reps at the position.

Muschamp says they are wanting to give Gorman and Showers a lot of reps since Evans and Elam have played a lot at the position, relatively speaking.

As far as Saunders, Muschamp wants him to improve the tackling aspect of his game.

The spring game (aka the Orange and Blue debut) will be this Saturday at 1 p.m. ET at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. The game will be broadcast on Sun Sports with Live online video via FoxSportsFlorida.com (subject to blackout in Florida);

Attachments

• 112181658_display_image.jpg
    112181658_display_image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 2,416

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
You could see this "non-decision" coming--and why not, at this point?
All accounts (including back-channel ones) have described a tight, spirited, and friendly-if-highly competitive neck-and-neck-and-neck race between ALL THREE scholarship QBs, with one or another stepping forward one day, then another the next, each with his own steady progress and differently-mixed skill-sets. The good news? They're ALL looking good, at this point--that isn't just "coach-speak", apparently. The game Saturday won't decide the thing--but it'll be fun and interesting to watch, and among the "dramas" will be seeing how each of 'em fares running the offense against our already tough-D (even missing some key guys).

robdog

Gator Fan
No matter if the decision is a result of this game or not, I am seriously looking forward to this. Still trying to figure out how I am going to watch it here in California. But, if I can remember correctly, ESPN does show some of the Spring practice games for a few of the bigger schools.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
No matter if the decision is a result of this game or not, I am seriously looking forward to this. Still trying to figure out how I am going to watch it here in California. But, if I can remember correctly, ESPN does show some of the Spring practice games for a few of the bigger schools.
I went to site travisduncan noted above--"FoxSportsFlorida.com"--and DID encounter only the same warning mentioned: "Subject to blackout in Florida"...but I'm hoping (COUNTING on it, more like) that implies its availability elsewhere online--like in Texas, and California, for eg.! I mean, you're right about it likely showing up within a week or two as an edited-down 1-hour version on ESPNU (and I'll watch/record that TOO), but like you, I am really looking forward to watching it live, beginning-to-end on Saturday.

robdog

Gator Fan
DRU2012 Wow, that surprises me a little bit that they would black that out in Florida. I would consider that their biggest audience, LOL. (but what do I know)

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The offenses look sloppy. Brissett is 0 for 3. Murphy is 1 for 3. Gilly looks good running.

Escambia94

Now things are heating up. Brissett is 4 of 5 after switching from orange team to blue team. Driskel is 5 of 5. Murphy is 1 of 3 (I think), but scrambles well. He could play running back or receiver if he wants to.

Escambia94

1st half stats: Brissett 4/7, 75 yds, TD; Driskel 6/7, 42 yds; Murphy 1/3, 6 yds.

Gillislee 6 att, 35 yds; Chris Johnson (former LB) 4 att, 17 yds. Driskel 18 yds on 3 rushes. Murphy 1 att, 15 yds.

Escambia94

Driskel leads Blue to a 21-20 win going 10-of-11 passes for 133 yards, while Brissett was 8-of-11 for 149 yards and two touchdowns with the Orange and 1-5 for 52 yards while he was on the Blue team.

Blue team amassed 294 yards of offense, 222 in the air and 72 on the ground. The Orange squad finished with 325 yards of offense, 169 in the air and 156 on the ground.

Murphy threw a pick in his only series with first team, and was 1 of 3 on second team.

Gillislee and Johnson looked good running. Early enrollee Pittman looked great at receiver.

Nixon and Powell both came out injured.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, what's everyone's "overall take"? There ARE a couple of things we can say for sure...First off, "Master Of The Obvious!": We are gonna have one fearful defense in 2012. Though some of it was "cobwebs", "butterflies", "defense ALWAYS has the edge at first", etc., a big part of the early trouble for both QBs is that they were facing most of the first-team "D" that was available today (with incoming prize recruits and several good ones by then hopefully healthy they're going to gain depth AND talent by summer--ie. they're gonna get BETTER).
As the QBs warmed up and Quinn began to more freely substitute, they did get steadily better on offense...still, here's another fairly obvious likihood: On offense, we're gonna be a RUNNING team. Oh, we'll stretch-the-field this season, sometimes surprisingly so if/when teams start putting 7 and 8 men-in-the-box--as they WILL when this multi-headed RB-monster starts piling up yards and time and wearing down THEIR defenses. That's the plan, anyway, from where I'm sitting.
Once the third-string freshmen and walk-ons started to get some time on defense at the end (many of THEM good enough to be playing on other teams, while others just need experience, the kind that started here today), BOTH QBs started really showing what they had (I think we may have seen the difference between them and Tyler Murphy here--and it may well be "relaxed consistency under pressure-of-the-moment")--and why we'll be able to "make-good" on "what-the-opposing-defense-gives-us". Even our WRs, as short as we are at that position, showed that this year's (albeit small) group will "hold up their end", if trusted to do so with a well-timed, properly-thrown ball.
All in all, I'm more positively hopeful coming out of this game than I expected to be--and TONS more impressed than last year. Sure, there was sloppiness, some obvious "areas of weakness"--the most worrisome to me were the frequent moments of milling confusion at the line of scrimmage by BOTH units' lines, and the backfields and secondaries too, at times, all too reminiscent of last season's procession of foolish penalties--but there IS time, and this staff has the smarts, determination and the will (Ha!) to get it fixed. I'm starting to actually have some confidence about this team--that my "9-and-3 +/- 1"-prediction is maybe low-end-solid: they COULD do even better. Even GOOD teams are going to have trouble scoring over-20 on us, and we'll beat at least some of 'em in close ones--and beat the rest, anyone NOT themselves ready to run with the "Big Dogs", with dominance!

Escambia94

My thoughts:
- Driskel will stretch the field if you let him out of the pocket.
- Brissett will stretch the field if you give him a solid pocket.
- I am not certain that either secured the starting job, but I give the nod to Driskel.
- Gillislee, Brown, and Johnson should do well running between the tackles.
- Hines and Burton will confuse opposing defenses if we allow them to play hybrid positions.
- Defense should be hard hitting.
- I am worried about special teams.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Escambia94 Interesting distinction/contrast on the QBs. No matter what, this much is true: they're BOTH rounding into form, each in his own distinct way, and both are going to be GOOD--we can win with either. I, too, give the edge to Driskel, though, mostly based on his sense-of-command--of the field, the playbook, and above all, the team. He appears to best run the offense, overall.
I think you'll see special teams solidify, become more of a strength, as young, up-and-coming talent on this team finds that, at least for now, this is their best place to find the spotlight, their chance to shine and move to center-stage in the coaches' and the crowd's minds.
Those three RBs look STRONG, don't they? And there's ANOTHER one coming in among the freshmen recruits this summer (will they try to redshirt him, if they can?). Then there's Joyer, Hines and Burton as well. Joyer in particular may finally be our "Tebow"-factor inside the deep redzone--someone you give it to when practically everyone in the stadium KNOWS you'll do it, but he bulls in anyway...Burton we KNOW is a determined, multi-talented athlete, and Hines has continued to go further faster than anyone could have hoped or expected.
So: What are your expectations NOW, Gators? Still reserved? Or more hopeful, excited than before?

Escambia94

This scrimmage only slightly increased my expectations for 2012. Instead of pegging them as #6 SEC (Gator Bowl), maybe I move them to #5 SEC (Chik Fil A).

The offense can surprise if it is not stubbornly pro style-- meaning it can use trick plays, read option, rolling QBs, etc that are not considered pro style, but gain yardage. The running backs looked good, but our linebackers lit them up. I forget who it was, but I think it was a freshman that blew up each of the running backs except Johnson, the former linebacker.

Also, give Burton and Burton the frigging ball! Those boys are special. Same with Hines. Those guys will thrive as hybrid position players, but not in a pure position as Weis wanted.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Pease WILL get them involved--he is practical, flexible AND inventive.
I have a more positive reaction to what I saw Saturday than you, E-: you're right about them not being "stubbornly pro-style" all the time, but I am reasonably certain that "surprise" is one of the "edges"--along with confusion, illusion of complexity, and misdirection as to what our intentions really are from one play to the next will all be part of how Pease intends our offense to score enough points to win most games: ie. With a defense that generally aims to hold the opponent under 21 points.
Now, by NEXT year, that "D" will be going after shut-outs, and the offense will just line up and BEAT you: There'll be little secret to any of it, and our "edge" will simply be that we are better than everyone else. Can't wait....
But this coming fall will be a crazy coming-of-age for The New Gators, an exciting run with highs and lows every week and throughout the season.
I'm more confident than ever now about my "9-and-3, +or- 1" prediction, and am leaning more towards the "plus 1" by now.

Escambia94

Let's revisit the over/under on the 2012 opponents:
  • Bowling Green (5-7 in 2011) - guaranteed win. West Virginia beat them 55-10 last year. I predict a similar score, maybe 42-6.
  • Texas A&M (7-6 in 2011) - 50/50. The Aggie offensive line will be among the best in NCAA in 2012, since they are returning all five starters. Their offensive and defensive lines are right there with typical SEC size--6'4", 300+ lbs on OL, 6'3", 250+ lbs on DL. Florida's OL in 2011 was just under 300 pounds and it showed. Its DL averaged 260 lbs, but had shorter players that seemed to lose leverage against the 300-pound OL of Alabama, LSU, and UGA. In short, the Aggies are built like the teams that clobbered Florida in 2011, at least in terms of the line of scrimmage.
  • Tennessee (5-7 in 2011) - win. This team is no better than it was in 2011, and the crappy Gators of 2011 beat them by 10. The 2012 Gators are much better than the 2011 Gators, and the 2012 Vols are only cockier than the 2011 Vols, but no better.
  • Kentucky (5-7 in 2011) - win. This is not basketball. Gators win.
  • LSU (13-1 in 2011) - loss. As bad as the Gators were in 2011, they could have beaten LSU last year. This year's Tigers are a lot better all around than last year, and they got rid of some of the locker room plague that haunted them in the MNC game. I do not think the Gators are ready to beat LSU just yet.
  • Vanderbilt (6-7 in 2011) - win. As good as Vandy gets each year, I cannot see them beating Florida this year. If they wanted to beat Florida, they should have done it last year.
  • South Carolina (11-2 in 2011) - 50/50. The Gators played the Cocks to a 12-17 loss last year. Florida just could not stop the mobile QB. I give the Gators a 50/50 shot at reversing this trend.
  • UGA (10-4 in 2011) - loss. I hate, hate, hate losing to the Leghumpers. I refuse to set myself up for another disappointment, so I will prepare myself for a loss and hope for the best.
  • Missouri (8-5 in 2011) - 50/50. Before the Orange and Blue Debut I pegged this as a loss. I see enough spark in this Gator squad to give 50/50 odds that Florida can welcome the Tigers to the SEC with a good old-fashioned beatdown.
  • Louisiana-Lafayette (9-4 in 2011) - win. No contest.
  • Jacksonville State (7-4 in 2011) - win. No contest.
  • Florida State (9-4 in 2011) - loss. The Noles are a couple years ahead of Florida in the rebuilding process.
I see 6 guaranteed wins, 3 guaranteed losses, and 3 50/50s. Out of the 50/50s, I would bet the farm that Florida beats at least one of the newcomers to the SEC--Mizzou or aTm. I have the Gators finishing at 7 wins +/- 1, 5 losses +/- 2.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema