• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Spikes = Best LB in the country?

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
Brandon Spike is without question the best defender on the Gators. Where do you think he ranks amongst other LBs in the country? He didn't have an interception leading into Saturday's game... then he caught two!

shandsgator8

VIP Member
That punt was unacceptable.

I'd suspend him for the first defensive series against Kentucky, but I'm sure I'm the only Gator fan that feels this way.

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
To go along with his Best in the country claim..

Florida Gators linebacker Brandon Spikes named SEC Defensive Player of the Week

BY MIKE McCALL
Miami Herald Writer

GAINESVILLE -- UF linebacker Brandon Spikes was named the Southeastern Conference Defensive Player of the Week on Monday for his performance in the Gators' 51-21 victory against then-No. 4 LSU.

Spikes, a junior, made the first two interceptions of his college career in the game, and he returned the second 52 yards for a touchdown to put Florida ahead 41-14. Spikes finished with five tackles and anchored a defense that held the Tigers' rushing attack to 80 yards.

UF coach Urban Meyer said Spikes had been criticized by coaches for his play in a 38-7 victory over Arkansas the previous week.

''He's a grown man -- he took it,'' Meyer said. ``He played OK [against Arkansas], but for Brandon Spikes to play OK is unacceptable. He's a better player than that, and I think he played great [against LSU].''

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Spikes has had very good performances so far this season and his play agast LSU was some of his best this season, but that showboat "punt" after running that INT in for a TD was bad form. We don't do that crap at UF; Wondy Pierre-Louis was called out by our coaches last year for his backflip after a similar play last season.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
Granted that was stupid but I don't think what you suggest is necessary.

I believe it is necessary.

That unsportsmanlike penalty could have potentially cost UF, had the score not been as lopsided as it was. We all saw what happened with the BYU-Washington game earlier this year.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
^^ I think you're overreacting. Let the players have some fun. It was a blow out game and Spikes was enjoying himself. Do you think Caldwell was wrong for throwing the ball into the stands against FSU last year?

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
^^ I think you're overreacting. Let the players have some fun. It was a blow out game and Spikes was enjoying himself. Do you think Caldwell was wrong for throwing the ball into the stands against FSU last year?

What Caldwell did was slightly different.

Caldwell was performing a "tradition" that I believe Carlos Alvarez started. Caldwell had earned that right; he was a senior, it was his last game in the Swamp, and he was probably excited that he was going to finish his Gator career 4-0 against FSU.

So no, I didn't have a problem with what Caldwell did.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
Then you shouldn't have a problem with what Spikes did either. It's contradictory. Spikes was excited that his td helped seal the blow-out victory against the number 3 team in the nation. Just like Cladwell was excited he was going 4-0 against FSU.

I believe Spikes play has "giving him the right" to celebrate after a HUGE touchdown like that.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
What Caldwell did was slightly different.

Caldwell was performing a "tradition" that I believe Carlos Alvarez started. Caldwell had earned that right; he was a senior, it was his last game in the Swamp, and he was probably excited that he was going to finish his Gator career 4-0 against FSU.

So no, I didn't have a problem with what Caldwell did.

Exactly! Even the commentators said what he did was underestandable, since he was a senior and this was his last game in the Swamp.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
Then you shouldn't have a problem with what Spikes did either. It's contradictory. Spikes was excited that his td helped seal the blow-out victory against the number 3 team in the nation. Just like Cladwell was excited he was going 4-0 against FSU.

I believe Spikes play has "giving him the right" to celebrate after a HUGE touchdown like that.

They both "had a right" to celebrate the way they did, but Caldwell had more of a right, which made his actions more understandable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema