• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SEC vs WAC (from espn)

greggcowan

VIP Member
Interesting.....

The SEC has thoroughly dominated the WAC in football. SEC teams have won 85.5 percent (53-9) of their games against WAC foes, the second-best winning percentage by SEC teams against another conference. Only the Sun Belt Conference, which has lost 93.9 percent of its games against SEC teams, has a worse record against the league.

Even the WAC's best teams haven't fared well against the SEC. Boise State opened the 2005 season at Georgia, and the Broncos were a popular choice to upset the Bulldogs in Sanford Stadium. But Georgia's defense intercepted quarterback Jared Zabransky four times and led 38-0 in the third quarter. The Bulldogs won the game 48-13.

Hawaii finished 11-3 last season (7-1 WAC), with its only WAC loss coming at league champion Boise State. But the Warriors opened the season at Alabama and lost 25-17. The Crimson Tide led 22-3 early in the second half, before Warriors quarterback Colt Brennan led his team to a late comeback. Brennan threw for 259 yards in the second half, but the game ended when Lionel Mitchell intercepted his last pass at the Crimson Tide's goal line. Alabama finished 6-7, and coach Mike Shula was fired.

Hawaii was one of the first WAC teams to keep it close against an SEC team in recent years. Since 2002, WAC teams are 1-18 against SEC opponents. The WAC's only victory during the past five seasons was Hawaii's 37-29 win over Alabama in the 2003 regular-season finale. That Crimson Tide team finished 4-9 in Shula's first season.

Otherwise, SEC teams have flourished against the WAC. Last season, LSU beat Fresno State 38-6 in Baton Rouge, La. Florida beat San Jose State 65-3 in 2003. Arkansas beat Boise State 41-14 in 2002.

See a trend? WAC teams have lost 18 games to SEC teams by an average of 30 points in the past five seasons.

Despite the WAC's recent history against the SEC, some WAC teams would probably beat a few SEC teams this coming season. Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico State and San Jose State are each capable of beating Ole Miss or Mississippi State. Hawaii would probably beat Alabama in 2007, and Boise State would keep it much closer against Georgia -- maybe even beat the Bulldogs.

In fact, Boise State and Hawaii are probably capable of beating any team in the SEC this season. But much of the rest of the WAC teams remain paycheck opponents -- and easy victories -- for the SEC.

Swampman

VIP Member
Man the WAC has sucked in recent years... But I agree with the article that Boise State and Hawaii are on the rise and would definitely challenge Kentucky, Vandy, Miss State, and Ole Miss.

greggcowan

VIP Member
I agree Swamp.... Boise expecially doesn't seem to be going away. 4 or 5 years ago they came out of nowhere and everyone (including me) figured they were a freak. They just seem to be reloading each year. I personaly think it's great for College Football. A friend of mine who writes for a sports collumn out west tells me to keep an eye out for New Mexico State as well.

preachinGator

VIP Member
WAC and SEC

Any, and I repeat, Any football team has the potential to win "any" game if the leaders can instill a vigor in their players. Boise, Wake, Louisville, all these teams are rising fast in the polls and are not to be taken for granted. Can they beat Florida and such teams? Probably not if both teams play to their fullest potential, but it only takes a little under estimation to lose a game.

intimigator1

Gator Fan
Did I see that the original poster state that "Boise St. and Hawaii could beat any team in the SEC this year"? Are you kidding me? There is a huge difference between the WAC and the SEC and depth is one of them. I agree that Hawaii could play Vandy close and would beat Ole Miss but anyone else, no way!

greggcowan

VIP Member
I think they were implying that Boise and Hawaii are teams who have become capable. I agree that head to head it probably isn't happening...but both do possess the fire power to pull off an upset....... again, it would be an upset though.

suedon70

Gator Fan
Both Boise St. & Hawaii are known for their potent offenses, but I wonder how they'd fare against the Gators or LSU, both known for their speedy defenses....

intimigator1

Gator Fan
Hawaii has, at least since the early 90's, had a team that could but always loses the games that it should win. Boise St. is clearly a team that is in the position of "if only they could be in the big game" mentality by many fans. I don't understand why they are hyped so much and hope that they never do get the opportunity to play in the big game because they will get destroyed. Just look at the scheduling of each team and you will understand why this is more of a media hype than reality.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema