• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Reports: Possible NCAA violations led to Joker Phillips’ resignation

News Bot

News Bot
And know we know at least a portion of the rest of the story. Allegedly. Earlier today in a surprise announcement, it was revealed that wide receivers coach Joker Phillips had abruptly resigned his post at Florida. Further intrigue was added when “personal reasons” were behind the decision as well as Phillips reportedly working a…
b.gif

Source: CollegeFootballTalk.com

Ga8or22

Eventis sultorum magister.
If it was a bump (secondary violation) someone went way overboard in their reaction.

Ga8or22

Eventis sultorum magister.
Former University of Florida wide receivers coach Joker Phillips resigned this week after the NCAA received a photo of the coach sitting in a restaurant with a high school recruit during a mandated dead period in recruiting, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports.
Three sources told Yahoo Sports the photo was turned over to the NCAA by an individual with ties to the Miami Hurricanes athletics program. Should the NCAA determine Phillips improperly recruited during a mandated dead period, it could be considered a major NCAA violation.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Even if it is a secondary violation or ill-advised major violation, it will get reported through the media as if Aaron Hernandez just went on a shooting spree in Gainesville.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Even if it is a secondary violation or ill-advised major violation, it will get reported through the media as if Aaron Hernandez just went on a shooting spree in Gainesville.
Yeah, you got that right.
In truth, I was afraid it would be something about like that, a "moderate technical" violation--and of course it'd be covered luridly by the NCAA via their rabid cheerleaders-at-large out there among the national media. Hell, I can see it getting that and then some from within our own state: Don't y'all think there are UM apologists downstate who've been gnashing their teeth at having to act pious and penitent while they punish themselves and hope it'll be enough, waiting, hoping, PRAYING for it to all blow over--well, maybe praying wasn't part of the practical plan, not when it's in their judges' selfish and tainted best interests to see it play out that way, find something ASAP and ride it out of the the great public "Posterboys For Corrupted Youth"-doghouse. Don't you think they might like to see the spotlight pulled off of them? Even better, over onto a deadly in-state rival, and for a recruiting -rules violation?!! If they didn't have a hand in it, they'll sure as shootin' play it up big time no matter what.
The basic premise is still just "rumor", though, right? Well, "persistent rumor", but I have an uncomfortable feeling about how this has gone so far. I really thought Phillips would leave only once a solid, decent Head Coaching job was offered. Did a minor mistake in the "everybody does it/who we gonna go after"-category put him in a situation where his best move was to take one for the team, or at least try to? If so, I'm afraid neither of the folks mentioned above are gonna be big on letting it play out that way.

Escambia94

All the reports from Miami and Florida fans alike indicate that it was a secondary violation--a bump. The University of Florida athletic director and staff take secondary violations seriously thanks to lessons learned from the 1980s, so there was little Florida could do but try to keep things quiet and let Joker Phillips step down quietly. Unfortunately, in today's media crazy world there was no way for Joker to go quietly. I hate to see him go. I would hope that Florida takes the time to grab another coach before the beginning of the season.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
All the reports from Miami and Florida fans alike indicate that it was a secondary violation--a bump. The University of Florida athletic director and staff take secondary violations seriously thanks to lessons learned from the 1980s, so there was little Florida could do but try to keep things quiet and let Joker Phillips step down quietly. Unfortunately, in today's media crazy world there was no way for Joker to go quietly. I hate to see him go. I would hope that Florida takes the time to grab another coach before the beginning of the season.
As I'm sure you know, Cris Leak has been tapped to step into his shoes at receivers. Jokers' been a monster at recruiting, though, and HE was the answer to "Who can we get to minimize THIS loss?" when we lost our recruiting coordinator after LAST season, wasn't it? So I'm hoping right along with you, E-, but we're back at the same Q as last time.

Escambia94

I saw another article where Mike Slive, commissioner of the SEC, threatened to withdraw from the NCAA. I hope that if the other big five conference commissioners follow suit that it gets NCAA to stop with its silly rules "in the spirit of amateurism" that really do not help the game. Perhaps Florida overreacted to Joker Phillips' "bump", but as long as NCAA allows rivals to report secondary violations and incites the media to blow up the story for headlines, we are going to keep seeing stuff like this.

On a related note, I wonder how much the loss of Aubrey Hill had on our team in 2012 My guess is that Hill is only guilty of larger crimes by association and the rest of his crimes were related to NCAA silliness.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema