• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Report: Paterno not considering succession plan

Earlier this week, Florida State coach Bobby Bowden agreed to a succession plan that will allow offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher to take his place once he retires.

But the man Bowden leads by two victories as the winningest coach in Division I-A history says he has yet to consider leaving the sidelines.

Penn State coach Joe Paterno, who turns 81 on Dec. 21 and is entering the final year of a four-year contract, says he still hasn't even considered stepping down as coach of the Nittany Lions, or given any thought to a succession plan similar to Bowden's, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

"When I start to get the feel, I'll sit down with the people and say, 'Hey, I think maybe we ought to start talking about, you know, my getting out of here and a successor.' But right now, that hasn't even come up," he said, according to the Post-Gazette.

"I haven't even thought of it," Paterno said, according to the report. "I suppose it's up to them how they want to handle it. It's probably up to them whether they'll let me coach 2, 3, 4 or 5 more years, I don't know.

"Hopefully, I'm not going to be a crotchety old man and not handle ... when it's time to go, go. I just feel so good right now, I'd hate to put a timetable on when I'm going to get out of here,' Paterno said, according to the report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3154718
Do you really think Bowden is going anywhere soon? :sleeping:

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
He doesn't deserve to be the leader in wins unless he earns about 20 more than Paterno. The reason is because the NCAA credits Bowden with victories that he won at Samford, which at the time was Div I, but now isn't. Take those victories away and Joe Paterno is the leader in wins.

GatorVirgin

VIP Member
I am a Penn State fan as well, but I'm ready for Paterno to leave and some new blood to come in. I think we need some life brought back in.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
If FSU kicks Bowden out, that would be a new low for FSU. If he leaves, it'll probably be on his own terms, as it should be.

I'm sure that both Paterno and Bowden want the record badly, so neither wants to be the first to retire.

Definitely. I do not see either school ever kicking them out. That would be blasphemy.

Bobby should step aside. He does not coach during games anyways. Even with the superstar coaches they were mediocre this year.

I would love to see Galen Hall follow Paterno!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema