• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Reflections on Werner, Impact Newcomers of 2010 Gator Football.

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
Thinking about a few topics concerning all things Florida Gators…

Dan Werner. I think we are all in agreement that Dan Werner is a liability on the court at any given time. Now I’m not one that concentrates too much on basketball. I try to catch every Gator basketball game I can, but I certainly have less knowledge of the game than some. But every time I have seen Werner check in this season, I get nervous. He is shooting a career-low .336 from the field, and .279 from bonus range, as well as averaging 2 turnovers a game. He was previously shooting .433 as a starter from the field, and .333 from behind the arc. And the guy simply has no confidence. I’m not bashing the man, The guy is the nicest person you can meet, I’m sure of it. But I know you are asking yourself, as am I, why does he get an average of 24 minutes a game since January 16th? As Adam Silverstein of OnlyGators.com has explained, Billy Donavon’s hands are tied with this situation. With Kenny Kadji out for the season, Chandler Parsons doing well in Werner’s old starting position, and freshman Erik Murphy getting 9 minutes a game, there are no more big guys on the roster to use. Parson’s is recovering from a knee injury, so you don’t want to give him extra time, and risk having him injured again. Maybe Alex Tyus and Vernon Macklin should get more playing time? Just thoughts. But in my opinion, if something drastic doesn’t happen in the next few games, like maybe hitting more than 8 free throws a game, then we are a no go for the big dance in March. Most think that last loss to Xavier put the season in serious jeopardy. I wish they were wrong.

Now, to something I know a little more about(hehe). Football. I’ve listed in previous blogs who I think are going to be BIG impacts as newcomers this spring and into the season. My favorite pick to breakout is Andre Debose. Of course, his rehab is still progressing, but it has been said that he might not participate in full contact drills this spring. I’ve read on his Twitter that his hamstring is feeling much better, and that his work outs are going great. I’ve also heard that he is now able to sprint full speed on a treadmill. I know it’s unfair to compare Andre to Percy Harvin, especially since we haven’t even seen Andre on the field as a Gator, and since his injury. But I am REALLY excited to see him as a multi-position player. And I think that when the season rolls around, he will be full speed ahead. Another impact player I have mentioned is Matt Elam. Another multi-position athlete. I think we will see him start as a safety along with Ahmad Black. Going over his highlight film, It’s very easy to see that Elam will fit in on the field, no matter the spot. He should do well filling the spot of Major Wright as that hard-hitting safety.

There are multiple receivers to sort through to figure out who will be the biggest impact in the fall. And I don’t think they can go wrong with any of them. They are all very capable of being a go-to guy. The freshman that stands out the most to me is Chris Dunkley. At 5’11”, he could use a little more height, but he has very long arms to make up for it. He may need to put on a little more weight to compete in the SEC, but he certainly has the structure for it, and I don’t think it will be a problem. I also think that Dunkley will emerge as a leader, and captain of this football team for the next few years. Gerald Christian, the tight end from Dwyer High School, and a teammate of Matt Elam, I think will emerge as a go-to guy for Brantley. Much like Hernandez had been for Tebow. He has great athletic ability for his size. Ronald Powell, the monster from the left coast, Is going to be a force to be reckoned with over the next few seasons. I don’t think there is a doubt around, that this guy will make an immediate impact at defensive end. I’m looking for Powell to be a leader on this defense just as Brandon Spikes has been. Powell, along with Sharrif Floyd, and Lynden Trail I think will breakout as headaches for opposing offenses.

Looking at this class, I want to say that everyone of these young athletes will make noise in Gainesville over the next few years. Though it is very unlikely that all of them will. I think most are going to get some playing time their first two seasons. Whether it be on special teams, or their natural positions rotating in.

Many of us have questions concerning the hiring of the defensive backs coach, Teryl Austin, from the Arizona Cardinals as our new co-defensive coordinator. He has never been a defensive coordinator at any level before. Though he has been coaching in collegiate and professional football since 1991. He has been an assistant under the likes of Joe Paterno, Dick MacPherson, Lloyd Carr, and Mike Holmgren after playing college ball at Pittsburgh from 1984-87. He has no known connections to Urban Meyer, but Austin has worked with Steve Addazio during his tenure at Syracuse and with QB coach Scott Loeffler at Michigan. He has had two positions in the NFL with the Seattle Seahawks and the Arizona Cardinals. Both teams reached the Super Bowl while he was coaching the teams’ secondary. One thing is for sure, Austin must have made a major impact on Urban Meyer. Teryl Austin is a big family man, and we all know that is a trait that Meyer has high on his list. Austin comes highly recommended from Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Bill Davis, a close friend of Meyer’s. While we don’t know how this move will work out until spring practice or the season begins, I rest assured that Meyer and Addazio have made a great hire. Chuck Heater being co-defensive coordinator along with Austin should make the transition of the defense a lot smoother than it would be. And with all the talent that Austin and Heater have to work with, I think the defense will be as strong as ever.

The projected 2010 Florida Gator coaching staff goes as follows…

Head Coach: Urban Meyer

Interim Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Offensive Line: Steve Addazio
Quarterbacks: Scot Loeffler
Wide Receivers: Zach Azzanni
Running Backs: Stan Drayton
Tight Ends: Brian White

Defensive Coordinator: Teryl Austin
Co-Defensive Coordinator, Defensive Backs: Chuck Heater
Associate Head Coach, Defense/Defensive Line: Dan McCarney
Linebackers: D.J. Durkin

Special Teams: D.J. Durkin, Urban Meyer?
Recruiting Coordinator: Stan Drayton
Director of Player and Community Relations: Terry Jackson

Only 54 more days until 2010 Orange & Blue Debut!!!

As always, Be Well Gator Nation

p.s. The Nationally ranked number 7 Gator Baseball team will play its first game of 2010 on February 19th against the South Florida Bulls, at home in Gainesville at 6:30pm. The team will have games against LSU, Alabama, and Georgia featured on ESPN affiliated channels on May 1st, 2nd, 8th and 14th.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema