• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Recruiting?

DOGatorFrat

Gator Fan
I know there is still plenty of time.... But am I the only one worried about the recruits we have thus far? Some of the main websites (outside of ESPN) have us kind of low. Now I realize we can't have a top 5 class every year BUT I do hope we land some more quality guys. Any thoughts?

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Look at it this way, The Gators will play better this year than last year which will mean a better recruiting class.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I've got some concern, despite Muschamp's upbeat, forward view...still, there's some time left to close out with QUALITY, if not so much in the way of QUANTITY, this year. As others have pointed out, it was to be expected to some extent, all things considered--and we DO have a lot of young talent still to be incorporated into the greater whole from the last couple of recruiting classes. Add in a couple of late "surprises" and we should be fine. Then next year, once this staff has had a year to show how far and fast we've come and are going, plus having had all that time to lay the groundwork while assessing our needs, I expect just the first in a line of top recruiting classes...and don't forget, recruits are highly attuned nowadays to where the opportunities are, and how fast they are likely to get a shot at starting time against how much competition, and just as our coaches will know what they need, so will prospective 4- and 5-star recruits know more about us by then.

dizzle498

Gator Fan
The best recruit be got this year was Charlie Weis. He will pay dividends for years to come. I will admit that he was a TERRIBLE head coach, but he is a heck of an offensive coordinator. I am positively giddy about the prospect of him and Brantley hooking up.

If Weis can do that with Matt Cassel, then he can certainly do it with Brantley. Good times are ahead boys and girls!

Leakfan12

VIP Member
The best recruit be got this year was Charlie Weis. He will pay dividends for years to come. I will admit that he was a TERRIBLE head coach, but he is a heck of an offensive coordinator. I am positively giddy about the prospect of him and Brantley hooking up.

If Weis can do that with Matt Cassel, then he can certainly do it with Brantley. Good times are ahead boys and girls!

He can recruit but only on the Offensive side. Then again he's the OC

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
He can recruit but only on the Offensive side. Then again he's the OC

Muschamp and his defensive hires (a number of whom are well known, well-connected high-energy recruiters themselves) will more than hold their own, don't worry.
Now, as far as Bradley is concerned, while Weis has helped a number of quarterbacks meet, even exceed their apparent potentials, it is by no means a "given" that he will be able to manage it in this case. Granted, it would seem that if anyone could rebuild #12, Weis is the guy, and I have no doubt he would design an effective offense around JB if the young man's talent and mindset ARE retrievable--unlike our last OC! Certainly a redeemed, re-energized John Brantley in an offense truly adapted to his drop-back, "pure-pocket" style would make the 2011 season a smoother (and likely more successful, in terms of wins/losses) ride through what promises to be in many ways a transitional year, both in terms of new schemes and new personnel--on both sides of the ball.
However, I hope and expect Weis to have a "quick hook" if it turns out Brantley is stuck in this "great-in-practice-but-freeze-up-when-the lights-come-on" persona we have seen since he moved up to starter. In that event Weis will have to find out quick who his best "right now" guy is at QB, with an eye of course to bringing Driskil along as fast as possible--something I'm sure he'd prefer to avoid, preferring to see this done in a safe and orderly fashion.
All of this adds up to EXACTLY why he is interested in and still pursuing QB-prospects in these closing weeks before Nat'l Signing Day. No style of offense, Spread, Pro-style, Hybrid or WHATEVER escapes the ultimate importance of the QB's quality in determining its ultimate success.

I believe the high energy Muschamp brings will be good for the future. My concern this year is the fact he is all defense. While Weis is an offensive genius, he is known as a horrible recruiter. Plus how long is Weis going to be with us? Maybe Muschamp can be creative enough to pull out some big dogs the last few days we have.

By the way, I agree...Weis will do wonders for Bradley.

I believe the high energy Muschamp brings will be good for the future. My concern this year is the fact he is all defense. While Weis is an offensive genius, he is known as a horrible recruiter. Plus how long is Weis going to be with us? Maybe Muschamp can be creative enough to pull out some big dogs the last few days we have.

By the way, I agree...Weis will do wonders for Bradley.

Brantley...I was reading dru2012's post and was thinking bradley

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sorry--my bad...that's what we get when I post "late in the evening". Maybe there should be a rule about "Don't drink and blog"--but if there were, we'd have a problem at this site on game-days, especially in a season like the last one.
Anyway, "Brantley" is what I meant, of course--I just hit the "Post Reply"-button, shut it down and carried on without looking back 'til logging in this aft/eve and seeing gatorfaninbama's post in reply. Again, I apologize--to "gatorfan-" and everyone else (but, I'll probably screw up likewise again).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema