• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Pouncey ESPN #8

TenGator1

Gator Fan
With the No. 8 choice, we introduce you to the second offensive lineman in our countdown of the SEC’s 25 best players.

No. 8: Mike Pouncey, C/G, Sr., Florida

2009 numbers: A second-team All-America selection by The Associated Press, Pouncey was part of a Florida offensive line that paved the way for the Gators to lead the SEC in total offense with an average of 457.9 yards per game.

Most recent ranking: Not ranked in preseason or postseason countdown for 2009.

Making the case for Pouncey: The Gators’ recruiting class this past February was outstanding, but their most important get may have been the 6-foot-4, 310-pound Pouncey deciding to return to school for his senior season. His twin brother, Maurkice, did elect to go pro and went in the first round to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Mike will slide over from guard next season to take over for his brother at center. He played both right guard and left guard a year ago for the Gators and has started in 28 consecutive games. Maurkice won the Rimington Award as the nation’s top center last season, and it’s not out of the realm to think that Mike could follow in his brother’s footsteps. This is the first time the Pouncey twins have been split up since they started playing football. As valuable as Mike will be in the middle of that offensive line, one of the best and most experienced in the league, he’ll be just as valuable in the locker room with his leadership. Florida coach Urban Meyer will tell you that the Pounceys were players the Gators built their program around these past few years and now Mike remains as the anchor of their offensive line.

read more at.........................

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec

AK Gator

Gator Fan
It will be interesting to see how the top 7 spots shape up during the rest of this countdown, but it's great to see how much appreciation Pouncey's experience and leadership are getting heading into this season. He will be crucial to this offense, and not just because he's the center.

Mark Ingram
AJ green
Julio Jones
Patrick Peterson

those 4 will be in the top 7 for sure. cant really think of any other locks

we should of had ahmad black on that list tho him and will hill together will be a top saftey group in the country

TenGator1

Gator Fan
Trent Richardson should make the list

the big discussion in the comments board is "which back is better Trent Richardson or Jeffrey Demps.

Trent; 145 carries/ 751 yards/5.2 average/8 td
Demps: 99 carries/745 yards/ 7.5 average/7 tds

So with 46 less carries, Demps scored one less TD and 6 less yards than Trent, you make the call.

AK Gator

Gator Fan
Trent Richardson should make the list

the big discussion in the comments board is "which back is better Trent Richardson or Jeffrey Demps.

Trent; 145 carries/ 751 yards/5.2 average/8 td
Demps: 99 carries/745 yards/ 7.5 average/7 tds

So with 46 less carries, Demps scored one less TD and 6 less yards than Trent, you make the call.

The only argument I can think of being made to challenge the stat sheet would be the type of yards each player earned, which would determine their "type" of runner. Some fans will back a certain player simply because they have a certain reputation. I'd still take Demps here, but I think that public opinion could be built against him because (a) he's a Gator and (b) because of whatever reputation people prefer and dislike. Then again, the Gator bias could be just as strong for everyone else since this is an SEC only listing.

TenGator1

Gator Fan
The only argument I can think of being made to challenge the stat sheet would be the type of yards each player earned, which would determine their "type" of runner. Some fans will back a certain player simply because they have a certain reputation. I'd still take Demps here, but I think that public opinion could be built against him because (a) he's a Gator and (b) because of whatever reputation people prefer and dislike. Then again, the Gator bias could be just as strong for everyone else since this is an SEC only listing.

While I don't disagree with you...I think the difference starts with the type of offenses UF and Bama Run. Those against Demps are saying he isn't big enough to run between the tackles, whereas Richardson is a more powerful back. Hard to disagree with that argument. The popular opinion (on the ESPN comment board) is that Demps can only break it to the outside because of his speed and the spread that UF runs. Richardson earns the ruff yards up the middle.

AK Gator

Gator Fan
While I don't disagree with you...I think the difference starts with the type of offenses UF and Bama Run. Those against Demps are saying he isn't big enough to run between the tackles, whereas Richardson is a more powerful back. Hard to disagree with that argument. The popular opinion (on the ESPN comment board) is that Demps can only break it to the outside because of his speed and the spread that UF runs. Richardson earns the ruff yards up the middle.

Yeah, that's pretty much the truth. I'm expecting Richardson to rank higher than Demps based off of the gritty, workhorse image over the home run hitter in open space.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema