• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Post GAME/Post (even MODEST) DREAM

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
How bad has it gotten? After LAST week's 4th quarter I was thinking, "Well, lets try and make it through the rest of this season with Franks, win the very WINNABLE games ahead, finish the regular season strong and get lots of attention in a high-profile Bowl, make it a strong recruiting class and take The NEXT Big Step, and IF we get the right transfer-in at QB and/or Jones develops strongly and quickly, STILL seriously compete for a playoff spot in 2019 from start to FINISH"...BUT:
After TODAY'S debacle, in fact BY THE 3RD QUARTER I found myself actually thinking, "...imagine what this Coach might have been able to do with Brantley or Brisset still here when he arrived..." (!!!). That's right, By now I'm way past the wistful "mighta beens with GRIER": I in fact found myself thinking about what Mullen might have managed with guys who did so LITTLE for us themselves when they WERE here--but in various ways showed more (potentially MUCH more) skill and toughness than Franks has ultimately managed--and even THAT managed only with ALL of Mullen's time, patience and deserved reputation for pulling the best in growth and eventual performance from a long LIST of by now PROVEN "Success Stories" showered upon him for long months now.
The media yappers were fooled by the wins, the scores, the highlights--but most of us who cared enough, who looked closely enough HAD to see and know: Thanks to Mullen, Franks' few strengths (mostly in the running game--both his own and handing it off or short-passing it to the outside where our talented RBs were set up to block and/or get clear around the edge, and in general managing/RUNNING that kind of offense) were focused on, exploited, even magnified, while his weaknesses (he can't really throw the ball med-to-long with ANY kind of accuracy or "touch") were purposefully somewhat hidden-by-omission in the overall gameplans...WE knew it put our "success" on a shaky foundation; we just HOPED we wouldn't NEED him to throw much, certainly not LONG, the more we saw of THAT part of his game...And the moment we did, we were screwed: We got beat by it to SOME extent against UGA--and there was NO DOUBT ABOUT IT AT HOMECOMING against Mizzou: It sure looked like Mullen and staff FIGURED they needed Franks to make some throws early, made that and getting up early a big part of their gameplan against a Mizzou defense that coukdn't stop anyone ELSE'S passing game--and he proceeded to PROVE once again HE JUST COULDN'T DO IT.
NOW, I don't know if he MAKES those throws in practice, at the very least often enough to make them THINK he'd do it maybe what? Half the time or so in practice? SOMETHING musta made them think they could grab some quick-strike points that way--though everything WE saw prior to that on-the-field in GAMES told us that that WASN'T ANY PART OF HIS GAME! It sure seems like it SHOULDN'T have taken more than a half in today's game to remind and fully prove to ANYONE that this was so. But FORGIVE me if I find myself comparing him (and UNFAVORABLY so, to boot) to other previous "failed hopes" at that once-prized Gator Quarterback position. How did it become more like "The Kiss of Death"???
Amusingly enough (if darkly so), you'll find a point near the end of one of my late game posts on the Gameday thread my noting (and quoting some of) the game-announcers' discussion of this very conundrum re "the long, unexplainable draught at the QB position for the Florida Gators since TEBOW"...WE don't have to be reminded: WE'VE lived AND wondered at it now for nigh on TEN YEARS!
But now I find myself wondering if it is about to go ON, even if/when there may be alternatives. Then again, it has LOOKED exactly that way before, that we had alternatives--only to see those "alternatives" ultimately FAIL ONCE AGAIN.
I am CERTAIN our Head Coach knows more about building and coaching a winning college football program in general, great quarterbacking and QUARTERBACKS in particular than I will ever begin to even imagine EXISTS; I'd rather just entrust him with the headaches, assorted problems and complexities of adapting and changing according to whatever is thrown in his path in building that elite program, and then keeping us there, year in/year out, for a generation if he can. That's all that we expect, after all. But I reserve the right of any and ALL of us to question an impression we get of plans or moves that seem useless, misguided, and/or just plain WRONG. Whether true or not (and I hope it is) I, like many, have gotten the impression that THIS Head Coach is OK with all that, indeed welcomes fan opinion, strong and passionate.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Franks was bad (that's why he was benched) however the defense sucked as well. Granted Drew Lock might be a top prospect in the NFL next year but seriously.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Franks was bad (that's why he was benched) however the defense sucked as well. Granted Drew Lock might be a top prospect in the NFL next year but seriously.
It's true--the whole team came in a little "off", seemed listless, unready to play; the defense especially lackadaisical--but they were then seriously stressed, relentlessly pressed and not permitted to rest the whole first half, thanks to Franks' poor play: Do you know that NOT ONE OF HIS SERIES in the first half lasted more than FIFTY SECONDS of clock time before we were forced to punt each time, the D then forced back out there unrested and then immediately being efficiently stretched and attacked once more. You could SEE it out there: They were gassed by early in the SECOND QUARTER!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
As I've noted elsewhere, Mullen, for his own very definitely well-considered and thoughtfully planned reasons will do whatever he reasons is best for the longterm health and future of his team and program--I may not see, fully understand or even agree with those reasons if I DID, but I do know and respect all that.
Personally, I HOPE we are DONE with "The Franks Experiment" NOW, as I've said--but I am at least more certain that he will NOT be our QB beyond this season, no matter what.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Missouri did exactly what they needed to do on offense: throw the ball at the inexperienced freshman DB until the rest of the secondary got tired of covering down on Trey Dean. Florida failed to come up with a defensive plan to cover down on weaknesses in the secondary, such as switching to a zone defense or some hybrid zone/man defense.

On offense, we all know what Florida did wrong. Franks is an utter liability on offense, and every defense has the blueprint on video now to beat Florida with Franks at QB.

For the remaining games, Florida must alternate QBs, and mix up the secondary.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Missouri did exactly what they needed to do on offense: throw the ball at the inexperienced freshman DB until the rest of the secondary got tired of covering down on Trey Dean. Florida failed to come up with a defensive plan to cover down on weaknesses in the secondary, such as switching to a zone defense or some hybrid zone/man defense.

On offense, we all know what Florida did wrong. Franks is an utter liability on offense, and every defense has the blueprint on video now to beat Florida with Franks at QB.

For the remaining games, Florida must alternate QBs, and mix up the secondary.
Note that I didn't just "agree" with the above, E--: I "LIKED" it, because you didn't simply harp on the glaring truth--you stepped up and FORWARD a pace, offering (as you did in general terms across-the-board) an actual means by which our Coaches might actually try and "hold the fort" rest of the way.
And that's pretty well what we have to do now: Hold the FORT...We have got to somehow change things up enough that our competent core team and playmakers can grab maybe 2 or 3 more wins here (Why not? If we "change things up" enough we should be essentially back where we were early-season: We managed to beat similarly "disadvantaged" teams back then!).
Why does it MATTER so much? FOR THE SAKE OF RECRUITING, more than anything else. There's a lot of talk "out there" about "young guys choosing to go where there s a realistic chance for them to start, and start soon", BUT: As always, the strongest influences on recruiting success are whether the suitor is from a "successful bigtime PROGRAM", and the impression that they are led by a strong, smart and "successful bigtime COACH"--or at least a "hot'n'up'n'coming" one that is clearly "on his way" with that "bigtime program". (I use a lot of quotes there because this IS to a large degree about what people think and say, and therefore what these young men hear and, like it or not, are influenced by)
Those coupla additional commits you mention/link to are definitively good news, but they seem as much "in spite of" the seeming trend (especially in the media's appraisal of us--and don't think for a moment these young players don't see/hear/read that stuff: They're HIGHSCHOOL KIDS, who will be immediately tweeting and going on facebook themselves to tell everyone they can and (hopefully, even MORE IMPORTANT) impress GIRLS. As more of a "wannabe guitar player", playimg in bands but who growing up also played and LOVED sports, but never had the natural gifts that propel one up INTO that stratospheric level (I excelled somewhat at swimming and the martial arts--but certainly nothing that was going to attract athletic recruitors, least of all from major colleges), I can only IMAGINE what that must be like--but I sure as HELL remember how much the attention of young WOMEN dominated our every consideration back then, whether we outwardly admitted it to anyone but our closest buds (and even then...).
I go off on the above tangent ONLY to remind and stress the true nature and power of the forces at work "out there" and INSIDE the young men we are competing to land in our program, and MUST somehow gather our share of if we are to keep this thing on a strong upward surge. EVERYTHING TO DO WITH OUR DAWNING AND FUTURE SUCCESS DEPENDS UPON IT.
And our Coach KNOWS that. So we gotta win a few more here, be able to believably sustain the preferred "narrative" our many coaches (from the top down) will be preaching/selling (lets just be honest) to the best young athletes not just in Florida, but to some extent NATIONALLY again now...And that's ANOTHER thing: Our rep and "profile" among the fertile grounds of FLORIDA recruiting is NOT the only thing on the line here now...Mullen and Co. have only relatively recently brought us back up into that wide a level of "consciousness/awareness" among the OTHER group of folks they must get to and TALK with to be successful: the "V.I.P."s--"Very Important PARENTS"!
I am told that Mullen in particular is very good at this, allaying fears, addressing concerns, recognizing and anticipating solutions to particular personal and private "situations" limited to those people alone--the best ones do this intuitively, think on their feet and are able to find the "common ground" that truly make athlete AND parent(s) feel part of the "GATOR Family". But they gotta be able to "get in the door" and already be taken seriously when they do--Right or wrong, winning and the direction their program is clearly percieved to be heading MAKES A DIFFERENCE there. Like so much else about all this stuff, it is "a TRIBAL thing", and to a great extent is in a way hard-wired INTO all of us...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Now the big question is does Mullen put Franks back in or give Trask a shot?
You're right: That IS "the BIG QUESTION".
Have been wondering that with everyone else since midgame yesterday, and have to some extent worked it all down at least to a handful of likely outcomes and SOME logical reasons behind each--even the one where our Head Coach appears to stick with Franks, at least keep him as the nominal "named starter"...We've discussed it already ad infinitum elsewhere (including for example in my post directly above THIS one, btw) in the 24+ hours since yesterday's game ended, and I sure as hell don't feel like recounting it all here and now; Suffice it to say that on some level we all suspect that THAT is exactly what he will seem to do--but I HOPE I'm speaking for more than myself when I note that underneath the various "reasoned arguments" he, we, or anyone might present that could explain that choice, we ALSO would suspect there were better, more fundamental reasons underlying those that truly explain not just "WHY?", but what the real plan is:
If they name Franks the starter again now, "What do Mullen and his staff REALLY have in mind?"

Escambia94

Now the big question is does Mullen put Franks back in or give Trask a shot?

Mullen said that Franks has not lost his starting position yet. I will go out on a limb here and assume Mullen is the starter until he is injured. Trask might get more playing time, but not as starter.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mullen said that Franks has not lost his starting position yet. I will go out on a limb here and assume Mullen is the starter until he is injured. Trask might get more playing time, but not as starter.
Well, as I've come to assume over the course of the last 24 hours (and have said elsewhere in reply to our discussions here), that IS basically what I thought he would SAY at some point this week; the question, along with which whose answer is still out there, is what that really indicates about the true nature of our situation at QB. How much work WILL Trask get, henceforth?--I mean, Franks will "start", but will Trask now begin to be subbed-in "early and often", or at least "earliER" and "MORE often"?--as part of a revised plan for "mixing it up", or "as needed" according to Franks' performance (or continued lack thereof)?--Any or ALL as opposed to (as lately) when Franks put us in what appeared by then a "nothing to lose" situation? And Trask DID spark the passing game (and the CROWD) when he came in mid-3rd quarter yesterday, and STAYED.
And what ABOUT Emory Jones? Just the "appearances in two more games" in saving his redshirt status? I raise again here the simple, some would argue realistic and practical consideration that this last may be a moot point with little valid underpinning for this reason: IF he turns out to indeed have all the skills he is purported to have, AND is the "perfect fit" in Mullen's planned offensive system after all, that we not only can use him but it would materially accelerate his growth and eventual, inevitable assumption of the true Starting Quarterback role at The University of Florida all the sooner, one might well ask "WHY WAIT? Why worry about preserving his redshirt? The way things work nowadays, as star QB having great success at a major college program he almost certainly wouldn't still BE here his senior year ANYWAY!"
Of course, the response to THAT question from a thoughtful, careful, clear-thinking Coach like Mullen would likely be, "Well, we are close enough to KEEPING that potentially valuable option now anyway, barring injury to either of the other two, and we can accomplish what Jones needs rest of THIS year WITHOUT sacrificing his redshirt--so why DO it?"
So, taking all the above together, MY biggest "likely question" becomes, "Will we now see more, MUCH more of Trask?"...And if not, "WHY not?!!"

Escambia94

Mullen will not burn the redshirt on Emory Jones. To us fans, it makes no sense to save that redshirt, but to the coaches it makes sense to always have extra QBs on the roster. Look no further than Florida's 2013 season for a reason to keep 3 scholarship QBs (Driskel, Murphy, Mornhinweg). As a coach, you never know how many QBs you will have next year. Florida has 3 scholarship QBs and at least 1 non-scholarship QB right now. There are 3 games left in 2018 for Mullen to think about, even if the fans have turned the page to 2019.

The best we can hope for is a little less stubbornness from Mullen. Start Franks, but play Trask in many situations. I hope Mullen pulls a Spurrier and alternates QBs frequently.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mullen will not burn the redshirt on Emory Jones. To us fans, it makes no sense to save that redshirt, but to the coaches it makes sense to always have extra QBs on the roster. Look no further than Florida's 2013 season for a reason to keep 3 scholarship QBs (Driskel, Murphy, Mornhinweg). As a coach, you never know how many QBs you will have next year. Florida has 3 scholarship QBs and at least 1 non-scholarship QB right now. There are 3 games left in 2018 for Mullen to think about, even if the fans have turned the page to 2019.

The best we can hope for is a little less stubbornness from Mullen. Start Franks, but play Trask in many situations. I hope Mullen pulls a Spurrier and alternates QBs frequently.
This is one of those times where "I agree", but don't LIKE it and wish you WEREN'T RIGHT, E--. But I too am pretty sure you have nailed it...About the "stubbornness" Mullen is showing in this, as well: I mean, "Stick to your guns" , Coach--but don't throw away your "adaptibility" now, of all times. I am truly concerned that if he continues waiting until games are already LOST before summoning Trask, we may not win another this season. And that would not only be somewhat of a disaster in terms of our (still salvageable) ongoing "early arrival" back to relevance and eventual elite status, it would be an unnecessary shame in terms of both team morale AND fan trust.
Thing is, I gotta believe Mullen sees, understands and APPRECIATES ALL OF THE ABOVE. But I also know that he is only human--and human beings make mistakes. I fear he is making a BIG one here and now; I hope I'm wrong--but if I'm not, we then turn to the question, "How long will it be before HE realizes it?"...or put another way: "What'll it take to change his MIND?!!"
If it isn't until "in retrospect", after the season is OVER and we've closed as we did LAST year, we'll have lost virtually all we'd gained by mid-season this year--and possibly never fully recover from it.
There better be SOMETHING I'm missing here, some facet(s) of all this that we don't see or grasp that is somehow part of some ongoing plan to meanwhile IMPROVE this team and program, give us some net progress and/or advantage that comes clear later.
I want to believe that, support our Head Coach "no matter what": We are all COUNTING on us having "gotten it RIGHT this time"! In fact, the alternative, that no, THIS one's flaws-of-character once again have fooled us, led us ALL astray, would be catastrophic, I'm afraid--to MY "faith" as a fan, yes (I have had to fight my own natural pessimism and cynicism to wait things out THIS long)--but more important, to that of our fans, and finally, the up-til-now still-smoldering embers of hope, kept alive, through Coach after failed-Coach let-down, by the memories of who we were and what we HAVE accomplished in the past...of Spurrier, Tebow, Wuerfel, Leaks, Harvin, Emmit, and on and on...
No. I won't be quick to throw all that aside, no matter what: Not ME.
PLEASE, COACH MULLEN: If this IS part of a particular plan you had in anticipation of this very possible course of events, then I apologize-in-advance and will try my well-practiced DAMNEDEST to hang in, "Wait'n'SEE!"...But if it turns out to be pure "I'm RIGHT!" stubborness, the fact that I will have completely misjudged you will be the LEAST of it: Losing is bad, but "murdering hope and trust" is a betrayal of the highest order. So personally, I will go on trusting, trusting IN you: But that is what is on the line here now, for you, me--for all of us.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Just talked to my one "insider" program-contact back in Gainesville, and although he won't "name names" or go into specific details (which I knew already and therefore carefully planned my questions accordingly), I WAS able to get some insight regarding what's happening, and hence at least SOME of what's likely to happen next:
Although Mullen will continue to start Franks (and has said as much already publicly), it is unclear at what point from hrre on out he is willing/planning to sub-in Trask: He is keeping that close to his vest, but it is thought/FELT that Trask is being readied for a sooner and more PLANNED-for inclusion, depending on Franks' success early, or lack thereof in fulfilling what will be minimally required of him in the pared-back, playbook-based offense the coming gameplan has been redesigned for him to run this time.
Beyond that, I am given to understand that Mullen himself was concerned as LAST week's practices wore on that his team already looked worn out, emotionally drained--and were NOT adequately "preparing to improve"...He and the staff TRIED to instill a greater sense of urgency, but clearly to little avail.
This week he has already gone to both the already-known "lockerroom leaders", and a few who have only lately begun to emerge, and asked them to come as far forward as they can, somehow help him help THEM to avoid last season's "cash-it-in"/slide-to-ignominy style finish. It is still early in THIS week's preparations, and it remains to be seen if anything actually CHANGES--in the lockerroom OR on the field--but word is that it seems they HAVE taken it to heart, and have since been loud and vocal among their teammates in response.
But it IS still early, and it'll be less words and of course much more action and what effort the rest of the team finds within themselves and applies "out there"--in preparation AND in-game--that'll make a difference the rest of the way.
Frankly, I don't know WHAT to think:
I mean, the cynic in me who's seen all this before has trouble investing much hope and optimism in a team that needs such reminding and outside-influence at THIS point; Can some kind of extended "rallying cry" make a difference now, "save them from themselves", if they can't find it within themselves already?
But they ARE "young", and truth is that the answer to all that is, "Maybe..."
It wouldn't be the FIRST time that were the case from one week to another in college football--far from it! But they DAMN well better get TO it, thorough and FAST. Requiring "a sense of urgency" is a massive understatement, at this point.

Escambia94

Mullen does not like to swap quarterbacks for bad performance as Steve Spurrier did on multiple occasions, but there is a precedent under his watch to purposely swap quarterbacks for situations: 2005 Chris Leak & Josh Portis, 2006 Chris Leak & Tim Tebow.

I understand that Mullen wants to protect Franks' confidence, but if they go into the next three games knowing that the plan is to throw off the defenses by purposefully changing quarterbacks then all the players get to learn something leading into bowl season and next season. Look at Noah Brindise. He was alternated every other play with Doug Johnson against FSU, and it taught Brindise enough for him to be a QB coach for Spurrier on the Washington Redskins, and an offensive coordinator at East Carolina and UNLV. Jesse Palmer was swapped out on occasion with Doug Johnson and Rex Grossman, and he became a sports analyst. Feleipe Franks' sports career will not be over just because he did not start and play all 80 snaps at QB for each of the next 4 games. His sports career will definitely be limited if he puts up any more videotape of throwing for less than 5 yards per attempt and for the rushing attack to fall below 4 yards per attempt with him at QB.

One more note: with Kyle Trask at QB, the Gators average 7 yards per attempt passing and 6 yards per attempt rushing. Take away the sacks and those numbers go up significantly. Maybe Trask does not get those numbers as a starter with the defense gaming against him, but with Franks and Trask alternating based on situation I see the overall passing production increasing to 10 yards per attempt and the rushing attack maybe getting to 6 yards per attempt. With more production comes more explosive plays for Kadarius Toney, Jordan Scarlett, Dameon Pierce, Tyree Cleveland, or Van Jefferson/ Trevon Grimes.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Again, MORE than "agreement": In a nutshell, you have built a logical argument for what I have come to assume intuitively.
But I must go one step further:
I don't happen to agree OR approve of the LEVEL of "care" with which our Head Coach has and apparently still IS committed to in "protecting" Franks' confidence, etc: He's a Quarterback competing at the highest level who is, has been and will CONTINUE to be judged by experts who have their OWN jobs and futures to consider, and will continue to do so in clear comparison and competition with others--in Franks' case I'm afraid MANY others whom, unless he shows a whole lot more a whole lot faster, have a WHOLE LOT MORE UPSIDE than HE does.
Hence, I have to wonder at this point exactly why our Coach is giving SO much weight to Franks' "feelings": Somehow, for it to be this a persistent a consideration for so long, at what is the key position in his efforts to rebuild, to bring us back, he MUST feel that he has little choice here.
But why? And is he right? Those questions are at the heart of my supposition of at least the POSSIBILITY, as I have already proposed, that the very fact that this concerns the Coach's reputed "specialty", his well-proven skills at developing quarterbacks--a process in which his previous experience and success has served him so well before--suggests that that very "sustained success" is working AGAINST him now: Mullen may now be slow to recognize and accept his first real failure in both judgement AND process: At a certain point, like a gambler "doubling down", our Coach may be chasing what is turning out to be a waste of valuable TIME (instead of money) by throwing MORE of that "valuable time" away in a continued, in truth vain attempt to "get even", make it work after all.
I hope I am wrong. And there is of course every chance of it: It's possible that he DOESN'T have much choice but to see this through for now--that he is right in his sense that there are few other workable choices that have ANY good chance of a better outcome. Coach Mullen has more information, experience and overall skill and insight into any and ALL of this than I do--I'd be a fatuous fool (or a FAN--LOL) to think otherwise. But as I have also noted, he is a human being--and wouldn't be the first to allow previous ongoing success to blind him for a time to failure arising from the very same efforts finally NOT working this time...We live, learn and GROW, and unfortunately, THAT may be the experience and lesson for him, for all of us here.

Escambia94

I am not saying that the fans are right, but in this case with nothing left to play for I do not see why Franks needs to be the starter or why he needs 80 snaps in a game.

To make matters worse, there are rumors that some players like Jachai Polite and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson are saving themselves for the NFL draft. I hate putting rumors out, but my point is that our eyes as fans told us that the Gators gave up after the loss to Georgia, since there was nothing left to play for other than NFL draft position. Our eyes tell us that although the coaches tell us Franks is the best option at QB, he cannot win any games where he plays more than 30 snaps at QB. If Mullen wants to wait until the second half to yank Franks out, it will be too late against any team that can control the clock. I am not saying Trask or Jones are going to win games, but I think this offense is limited without some combination of 2 or 3 QBs running different parts of the play book.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I didn't want to HAVE to go down this road, but lets face it: We are now likely at the point where unless Mullen himself does something or THINGS drastic, all of these factors we have observed, deduced and/or suspected WILL, taken together, sink us FAST.
And that will not only be painful, frustrating and hugely disapointing to WATCH, all of it will in turn affect PERCEPTIONS "out there"--with all the corresponding impact on recruiting that IMAGE and "talk" has on kids these days.
Thing is, MULLEN MUST KNOW THAT:
He now faces juggling the perceptions regarding the talent and near-term future of our program, and those regarding its fundamental stability: Ideally, he would choose a course that got us back on track in the direction we were purported to be headed BEFORE the Party, without damaging the overall one of recovery, solidity and positive unity all reclaimed and having us "back in the BIG PICTURE".
That these all seemed to have been achieved so remarkably quickly was a credit to he and his staff--but as elusive and fragile as such gains in public IMPRESSION can be in today's world, especially in this particular "court of public opinion", it can all be lost just as quickly--quicker, even, depending on events. He MUST find a way to stop the bleeding, get some WINS NOW.
THAT is the main and immediate order of business in order to make it to and successfully navigate the next few steps...Win this week, play all the rest CLOSE, and probably not lose more than one of the rest. Then we can go confidently into the final days of recruiting after a moderately high-profile Bowl period with a good chance of substantially improving ourselves there, and on into the Spring with most of the momentum and optimism we had begun to finally and truly accrue just weeks ago...OR, we could lose out and find ourselves wondering, "WTF?!"
Wanna avoid the latter, DM. If WE'RE thinking it, you gotta figure a lot of our commits, certainly POTENTIAL ones and targets will be thinking it too.
No, it is one of those Crucial Moments in the task you accepted, the journey you were embarking on when you TOOK this job, Coach: You "exceded expectations" from the start--but that won't help you now, may even work against you if all that is now seen as some sort of "illusion"; it isn't fair, but that IS how this game, the one OFF the field, is played.
So it's time to pull a bunny from the helmet--and let the GATOR CHOMP IT!
Or at least try: There's no way to "play it safe" here now: nothing but a "bounce back win" can help you. For all the reasons we've mentioned above and more, this team NEEDS a change, a "splash of cold water" wake-up call. GO for something BIG. A gamble, maybe, making "big changes" late in the year--but if there ever were at time for it...

Escambia94

Well, ****. I saw from multiple sources that Trask was injured in practice today.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, ****. I saw from multiple sources that Trask was injured in practice today.
Yes. And "the news" I was GOING to be leading with was that judging by word from some AT yesterday's practice was that TRASK WAS getting as many reps with the first team offense this week as Franks, later on in practice there was actually a stretch where the two were being run through a long scrimmage where first they were alternated series by series, then play by play, then finally in a seemingly irregular manner that appeared to merge the other two approaches...Jones was now getting the kinds of reps the backup usually gets (mostly with second team, but receivers AND RBs from first team often subbed in for him to run plays with)...Afterwards Mullen declined to answer questions about who the starter would be, deferred that to "a game time decision--as always..."--but all in all, it SEEMED likely SOME kind of shift in tactics at the QB position was in the offing.
Word WAS that "All THREE looked very sharp...", which only made me think about JB Brantley and all the OTHER guys we've had that "looked GREAT in practice", but whose 'natural talent' seldom or NEVER showed up ingame...I have long since come to the conclusion that Franks MUST be another variation on this recent Gator CURSE: That and that alone would explain why Mullens, such an astute recognizer and developer of talent at the position, would keep going back to him over a kid whom he supposedly "narrowly beat in practice" last summer. I figured he was finally going to give Trask a full on ingame chance to show what he could do--at least in close rotation for a game.
But now this. I guess we'll never know.
Sigh. Well, Muschamp now has a fair-to-middling SEC quarterback who has a coupla talented speedster playmakers at WR to throw to; irony, injustice OR BAD KARMA (choose one) may be about to sink a dagger to the barely beating heart of our season.
Say it with me, my brothers, scream it loud if you like:
"AW NUTS!!!"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema