• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Players Don't Feel Invincible

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
I haven't commented yet on the Janoris Jenkins arrest situation here on the homepage, though I have made a comment on the forums. It's not because I don't want to create more negative publicity to the program, it's because I don't think his arrest is <i>that</i> big of a deal. Last week, Gator CB was tased and arrested by Gainesville police for his involvement in a street fight outside a Gainsville bar. Jenkins resisted arrest without violence and was ultimately hauled away.

Some media types have been critical of Urban Meyer and the Gator program. This was the 24th arrest in the last four years and fourth since the 2008 title game. Former Gator QB Jesse Palmer thinks that it's a result as the players feeling invincible.

"(Urban) can't be out at the clubs at 1 a.m. monitoring these guys," said Palmer, "I think it's an internal accountability issue where these players might think they are invincible after the national title. Everybody's patting them on the back and you feel like you can do anything."

There may be some truth to what Palmer is saying, but I don't buy the whole thing. Some of the arrests have been petty crimes like failing to move out of the way for an emergency vehicle (Riley Cooper).

The arrests are bad and I don't condone any of their behavior. Meyer has been stern with his punishments over players who commit serious crimes, like domestic battery. He's kicked several players off the team: Jamar Hornsby, Jacques Rickerson, Avery Atkins and Marcus Thomas. But he's also reinstated several players who have taken responsibility for their actions. I don't think Meyer is running the new "Thug-U" or that the team is out of control. I think all major universities go through similar problems, it's just when you're at the top of world, people come gunning for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema