• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Piling On

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
A whole lot of folks circling a seemingly struggling Billy Napier in what are apparently blood-filled waters of late...
Though I have been feeling some of those vibes myself, I tended to be dismissive, even somewhat disgusted by Trevor Etienne's desertion--and even more his recent wholly, unabashedly self-serving public rationale for his move.
"Screw that little weasal!" had come to be my bottomline judgment, emblematic pretty well of his whole generation, it would seem.
But Spurrier's exasperated recent public statements are harder to shrug off. I mean, I find I cannot simply dismiss it, say he's wrong and move on.
Quite the contrary: When he speaks, Gators of all stripes listen--and as I say, in this case I can't shake off the overall feeling that there is a complex ring of validity to this one.
No matter what, it's gonna hit HARD the ongoing effort to get our balance and bearings amidst recent chaos, as we approach the lead up to what was always going to be a tough season--and which at this point is shaping up as a do-or-die crossroads for Napier AND the whole, Florida PROGRAM.
Never mind all the talk and complicated analysis:
All that matters is winning. Manage more wins than losses somehow, and we go on--BILLY goes on as our Coach.
Otherwise, what? "Forty years in the wilderness?" Russian-novel material?
IS there another SS out there gathering the knowledge, talent and prestige together for another magical shot at "RE-EMERGENCE"??!

Last edited:

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The piling on by social media will only get worse the more Napier’s staff cuts out social media. The shocker was Spurrier publicly siding with social media. That alone was the nail in the coffin. This is not a good time to be a Gator fan. Oddly enough, this is a great time to be an FSU fan. No matter how bad things are, their fans and administration are not turning on Norvell—even when he had a worse winning record through three years than Napier.

On that note: please refrain from negativity on this site. If Gator fans want negativity they can get it everywhere else. If I cannot escape that crap here then I will move all my content elsewhere.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The piling on by social media will only get worse the more Napier’s staff cuts out social media. The shocker was Spurrier publicly siding with social media. That alone was the nail in the coffin. This is not a good time to be a Gator fan. Oddly enough, this is a great time to be an FSU fan. No matter how bad things are, their fans and administration are not turning on Norvell—even when he had a worse winning record through three years than Napier.

On that note: please refrain from negativity on this site. If Gator fans want negativity they can get it everywhere else. If I cannot escape that crap here then I will move all my content elsewhere.
I agree completely--in fact, to some extent I am already "THERE": I am here (and continue to hang in, THROUGH IT ALL) because I believe this site provides voice and forum to thise who remain "Gators through and through, no matter the weather..."
But SPURRIER'S latest public assertions really WERE in effect the unexpected "nail in the coffin" (I can only imagine how it must have blindsided Billy!).
If WE go (you and I, E-), that will pretty well be IT for GE...in fact, I don't think it overstated the matter to say that if not "the heart", but perhaps "the CONSCIENCE" of online Gator analysis and reflection will have been ripped from the scene.
So I neither say nor DO anything LIGHTLY in this regard. But we are dancing on the edge of a yawning chasm, flirting with obvious disaster.
We NEED some "POSITIVITY"--clear and unequivocal signs that things are turning our way.
Now, having said all that, there IS a sort of "elephant in the room"--an unavoidable reality that could more or less bury all other thoughts and/or rationales:
I am really starting to despise College Football, and where it is headed. This latest business with Trevor Etienne is a particularly raw example of what I'm talking about.
Here's a guy I was cheering for just a short time ago--and weeks later he's publicly shitting on former teammates, fans, Coaches--the WHOLE SCHOOL AND PROGRAM...it may well get harder and harder to relate to ANY of these spoiled, coddled, two-faced weasels!
In this way it's getting like the NFL--which I don't really follow anymore.
Is this our future?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...and now come Saban's recent comments, his supposed rationale for suddenly walking away.
Amazing ti find myself saying it, but those comments do NOT sound a whole lot different from my last post HERE (directly above)--His are only, if anything, more detailed and specific.

Escambia94

There is a reason that many great college football coaches struggle in the NFL. Although on the surface college football looks like the NFL, they are very different sports. Modern college football is becoming a bad impression of the NFL and many coaches do not like it.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Just a note...I wasn't sure where to post it here.
Was tempted to simply open a whole new thread, but it sort of fits HERE too--so I will tentatively leave it here to start:
Upon my first look at next season's schedule, it was immediately apparent that our outlook for the whole YEAR will likely be somewhat revealed simply by all that happens in Game One, when Miami comes to the Swamp (!).
Need I say more?
I mean, we will know a WHOLE lot more than anyone can claim to know now I think before that one is even over.
Wow. The schedule itself comprises such a tough potential "turning point" of a season to start with, it is an amazingly appropriate situation to discover that it will begin in this way.
One MORE reason I am already tired of all the advance discussion...We simply won't KNOW "what we really got" til that one is in the record book.
That won't stop the static--but a WIN sure as hell ought to!!!

Escambia94

No need to start another thread. Just pile onto the “Pile On” thread. Game 1 will give us a good idea of where Napier has the program. Both Miami and UF are in similar stages of program revamping. Unlike previous years there will be no cupcakes on the schedule after week 2 to retune the offense and defense after a loss. I would say that if Miami crushes Florida at the Swamp on August 31, then all 90,000 fans need to grab Napier, carry his ass over to Lake Alice, and toss him in. It really is that simple.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
LOL. GOOD one E-!
I dunno...I mean, of COURSE I'm sweating this one out already, with no real feel for WHERE "Napier has the program" right at this moment.
But know what? Even with that being the case. I do still now have this strangely upbeat vibe, the unexpected, out-of-left-field feeling that maybe, in the face of what "EVERYONE" agrees is the toughest schedule in the land, Coach and team are positioning themselves to SHOCK THE WORLD--beginning with a strong win to open things up in the Swamp.
Yes. I may well be WAY off. It's just this FEELING, one I cannot explain with logic or history, but there it is.
But here is "Step One", the First Hurdle.
Swat away Miami, beat them rather handily, and maybe we establish some modest early momentum, eventually find ourselves in range of at least a winning record by the time we face the towering challenge that the 5 games the 2nd half of the season comprise.
And I don't care what anyone ELSE says: We come out of 2024 with a winning record, and not only is Napier still our Coach, but with another improving high-end recruiting haul fans will be feeling, BASKING in the return of OPTIMISM at that now still distant dream: "FULL ON TURNAROUND"!!!

Leakfan12

VIP Member
There is a reason that many great college football coaches struggle in the NFL. Although on the surface college football looks like the NFL, they are very different sports. Modern college football is becoming a bad impression of the NFL and many coaches do not like it.

It's one thing coaching 17-24 year olds but it's another coaching guys in their 30s.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm glad you raised all this, Lf--and the ONLY reason I didn't give it a "Like" is so that there is no confusion in separating my approval of our addressing all this here, now that it's been raised, while DISAPPROVING of DeSantis' mouthy meddling WAY beyond whatever the citizens of The Sunshine State generally supported in voting for him--the ones that DID.
I am FROM FLORIDA. IT IS, ALWAYS WILL BE, on a certain fundamental level, my "childhood home". I don't live there anymore, haven't for years (and though I still love the place itself and of course our Gators things will probably have to change in big ways socially before I'd consider moving back, even retiring there like I always thought I would.
We go way back, Fla and me--and even as my "horizons expanded" with events (positive AND negative) that dramatically affected my life and circumstances in and around me in my early teens, there was never any real doubt as to where (and WHY) I would return to attend college.
So I come by MY resentment and rejection of Ron De honestly, let me assure you.
Mostly wish he'd just shut up and stick to messing with the things he came IN mouthing off about! No such luck, though.
I understand why folks at the NAACP would start OUT feeling that way--and why it would only get worse from there, given his statements, efforts and proclivities...But THEY need to take a closer look and instead take a broader view: Recognize that there are a LOT of folks, from all backgrounds, who've attended ALL those "State of Florida Universities" who agree and will STAND with them...There is STENGTH out there, if you have the patience and determination to build bridges, man ramparts.
At the risk of brushing up against things we mostly STAY AWAY from here at GE (for good reason: Politics can mostly only divide us as Gators, as it does everywhere and everyone ELSE nowadays--which all too often appears it's main effect and USE among those folks nowadays who STYLE themselves "POLITICIANS"...
"A POX ON 'EM ALL!!!" is my view.
Regardless, we can, and when it comes right down to it, we MUST sweep aside our differences and instead reestablish the "common ground" that recognizes how much we SHARE.
Feeling "angry and isolated"? I assure you, you are not alone: Stand, and you will perhaps be surprised not just at how MANY but how WIDE your support will be.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...and this thread CONTINUES to be the seeming "right place" to bring all the odd, "out-of-left-fieid" questions and topics that come up as spring gathers steam:
As we work through the he seeming "annual bummer" of another early exit from the dance (this year it's a #7-seed Fla losing to #10-seed Colo in the first round) comes the somehow darkly edifying news that "Mr Loyalty (NOT)" T. Etienne was busted up in Ga Sunday for DUI (along with a host of other charges, some related, some not)--a charge that (for a BUNCH of reasons) they take PARTICULARLY seriously nowadays at UGA--at least they have recently henceforth CLAIMED to do so. Guess those around that program will now SEE...
I frankly "turned the page" on any interest in this guy's life and/or career given not just the fact but the MANNER of his leaving, but I admit to a bit of an ignoble "good on ya!" flash upon hearing of it. Probably small, even petty on my part, sure--but there it is.
"Do your sulking on the bench, team-guy..."

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I hate to throw around the P word but the P word could hurt the programs in not only UF but other schools in the state maybe outside the SOW over something that shouldn't be politicized and that's diversity. The two biggest money makers in College Sports are Football and Basketball and that's mostly played by people who are non-white student athletes. I wish those politicians who claimed to be Christians would follow the bible in loving one another and last I checked there are no exceptions. Not to mention, how many in the state legislature went to the Big Three schools at one point or another? Sorry to talk about Politics and Religion but I don't like what's going on in this state and Billy Napier deserves better and not lose recruits because of the actions of Politicians catering to their base.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema