• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Overrated?

TenGator1

Gator Fan
I would say unproven is a better description. Just like losing Percy Harvin was a big deal before the 09 season, losing #15 and company is a big deal. Percy and Tim are once in a lifetime type players. I don't think you can bring guys of that caliber into the fold every year. That being said, the potential of this "new look" team should have all of us excited about the future.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I would say unproven is a better description. Just like losing Percy Harvin was a big deal before the 09 season, losing #15 and company is a big deal. Percy and Tim are once in a lifetime type players. I don't think you can bring guys of that caliber into the fold every year. That being said, the potential of this "new look" team should have all of us excited about the future.

Agreed here. Unlike the post-2006 season, we didn't get as hard hit with player attrition for reasons other than graduation as others thought we would be. In spite of losing underclassmen who were major contributors such as Major Wright, Joe Haden, Maurkice Pouncey, Aaron Hernandez and Carlos Dunlap to the NFL, we still managed to retain a lot of talent on the depth chart as well as attain the #1 ranked incoming recruiting Class of 2010.

Johnny Brantley has given us a sneak preview of what he can do, and even though he was more or less the "closer" for Tim Tebow he still managed to be productive behind center and help our offense get points on the board in the latter part of games. We had a very good spring practice this year, and based on what Coach Meyer had said in the past a successful spring session means success in the fall.

As I've said many times before, Coach Meyer and his staff have done an awesome job when it comes to recruiting, and we've come to a point where we merely need to reload after each season as opposed to rebuild a roster from scratch. As long as we maintain this level, we're bound to be a contender for championships each year.

We still have some stellar players on our roster, but on the other hand we have diamonds in the rough who have yet to show us what they can do.

"Unproven" is the better word. Although Bama is the pre-season #1, Florida has something to prove - and you can bet your last dollar that we'll be out for revenge after last year's SECCG loss.

jd_gator

Gator Fan
IMO they are not overrated at all. The preseason rankings are a crapshoot anyhow. Just a topic starter for threads such as this. I have watched Urban's coaching career since his days at Bowling Green. Year after year he has proven he is one of the best strategist & recruiters in the country & has brought the Florida program to the top echelon of college football.

AK Gator

Gator Fan
We won't know until we hit the SEC. The first two games really won't prove anything to anyone about who this team is in regards to their ranking. There will be a pretty big target on the Gators because everyone in the SEC East is going to be clawing to knock us off and make a name for themselves this season. As far as the national sports talk is considered, I expect a great deal of talk about how the Gators don't deserve it etc. etc. etc.

I think this team will impress a lot of people who expect UF to fall apart sans Tebow, but it will take a few weeks for people to really believe. The most important thing for national credibility will be surviving LSU and Alabama with at least one win, otherwise the talk will be about how this team can't hang with the big names anymore.

tngator15

Gator Fan
Thanks for the repsonses guys. I don't personally think they're overrated simpky because I've seen most of these guys play. Just wondered what everybody else thought.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
You can really only rank our team this year on potential. A lot of players haven't seen that much time on the field yet. So if we finish outside the top ten, it's understandable. If we finish number one, thats understandable too!

TenGator1

Gator Fan
the most interesting aspect of this season for me is going to not only be the new players but how this revised coaching staff looks. Teryl Austin is another question mark going in to 2010. I think some tend to overlook that Charlie Strong is no longer prowling the sidelines, in orange and blue anyway. This will also effect the look of the 2010 edition of the Gators.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema