• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Orange & Blue Debut-Review

travisduncan

Gator Fan
The pads were on, the helmets glistening in the April sun, it's the Orange & Blue Debut, aka the Gator Spring game.

QB Battle

Jacoby Brissett started the spring game and completed 9 for 16 passes, a long pass for 52 yards and two touchdowns.

Jeff Driskel completed 12 of 14 passes for 147 yards without a touchdown.

Both were accurate, both showed mobility. But who is the guy?

"You saw both guys take command of our football, both guys made vertical plays down the field, good decisions where they took the ball," Will Muschamp said.

"You saw what I've been seeing for 14 practices prior to today."

Muschamp refuses to analyze either Brissett or Driskel specifically.

"You have to look at the whole package, we can win both guys."

Running Game

Sophomore Chris Johnson showed some things running the ball 13 times for 40 yards. Senior Mike Gillislee, the starter at the position, showed good speed running to the outside, though we really didn't get a chance to see him pound it up the middle. Gillislee finished with 35 yards on six carries. The coaches know what Mike G. can do, no need to overdue it.

Latroy Pittman

True freshman wide receiver Latroy Pittman, an early enrollee, stole the show with a 43-yard catch down the left sideline in the second quarter on pass from Brissett.

"He's done a nice job," Muschamp said. "He's a hard worker, football is important to him. We liked him at defensive back, he's very talented."

Jabari Gorman

Sophomore Jabari Gorman led all players with 10 tackles (4 solo and 6 assisted) and did a decent job in coverage.

"He really showed up today, making some tackles in space, which you have to do in on the back end. He's a very instinctive young man and a guy who played well on special teams, I think he's going to develop to be a good safety prospect.

Overall perspective from Muschamp

"I'm really pleased at where we are at this point. I feel much better standing here today than I did a year ago as far as where we are as a football team."

"Our physicality, our togetherness of the team, we got the right kind of guys. We need to get better, but we showed somethings we want to do."

"We were a very young football team last year. Defensively if you look at the number of starts coming into the season we were considerably less than anyone in the SEC. Being a line of scrimmage league, you look at our experience on the offensive side of the ball with Jon Halipio, and Xavier Nixon the only ones who had taken considerable snaps going into the season."

"Depth brings competition and that makes everybody better, when someone knows their job can be taken when there is another guy waiting there that can take it."

Starters
Somewhat of an early depth chart....

T 7N Nixon,X.
G 66 Wilson,J.
C 72 Harrison,J.
G 67 Halapio,J.
T 71 Patchan,M
FB 41 Joyer,H.
RB 23 Gillislee,M.
WR 85 Hammond,F.
TE 11 Reed,J.
QB 12 Brissett,J.
WR 1 Dunbar,Q.

DE 73 Floyd,S.
NT 99 Hunter,O.
DT 4J Jacobs,D.
BUCK 7 Powell,R.
CB 15 Purifoy,L.
S 31 Riggs,C.
WILL 3 Jenkins,Je.
MIKE 51 Taylor,M.
CB 14 Watkins,Ja.
S 9 Evans,J.
SAM 49 Kitchens,D

Attachments

• uspw_6164942.jpg
    uspw_6164942.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 1,991

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Any word on injuries? Powell's knee is the big concern, obviously: reports (and Coach M himself right after the game) say that it's "sprained"--but that's a pretty vague, widely-varied diagnosis/prognosis anyway...How serious is it? Will he likely be "fully recovered" by summer?
We were really laid low by injury last season, and though we're starting to build more depth on BOTH sides of the ball, we can ill-afford to lose certain otherwise soon-to-be-standout players--and Powell, who is just starting to really "get it", according to the coaches, is one of those.
(...As it turns out, of course, he WAS badly injured, the dreaded ACL--and now we can only hope he has a fully successful and relatively fast recovery, all the while knowing that you can't really rush these things, not if you want it to be "100%, I'm-back-and-ready-to-kick-@$$"- better.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema