• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Thread Week 5: Florida Gators vs Eastern Washington Eagles, 10/2/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Overview
Pending no further hurricane delays, the Florida Gators (2-2, 0-2) will host the Eastern Washington Eagles (1-2, 0-1) at the Swamp at high noon on October 2, 2022. It only took five games for Billy Napier to fulfill his promise to get more Gators playing on Sundays! Billy Napier is 42-14 overall, 2-2 (0-2) at Florida with a bowl record of 2-1. Aaron Best is 42-19 (30-9 Big Sky) in year 6 at EWU. This will be the first meeting between the Gators and the Eagles. The Gators are 67-17-4 against FCS opponents (21-1 since 1981) and have won 14 straight regular season non-conference games, which is the 6th-longest active streak in FBS. Florida is 2-0 all-time against Big Sky conference, including a 63-10 victory over Idaho in 2018 and a 89-0 victory over Montana State in 1988.

Keys to the Game
Gator fans probably will not take this game lightly after witnessing last year's matchup against FCS opponent, Samford.

TEAM STATSEWUUF
PPG/F28.327.3
PPG/A45.729.5
TOT YD/F10181653
TOT YD/F PASS636876
TOT YD/F RUSH382777

Key Personnel
Gator fans knew going into the season that everything rests on the shoulders of Anthony Richardson. He had a historic, breakout game last week against Tennessee. This will be his first start against an FCS opponent. There is not much to say about the Eagles. They seem to pass the ball more than they run, and they never kick field goals. The EWU kickers have zero field goal attempts.
EWUUF
QB G. Talkington 57-93 636 YD 10 TD 3 INTQB A. Richardson 65-121 876 YD 2 TD 5 INT
RB M. Smith 24 CAR 162 YD 2 TDRB M. Johnson 33 CAR 258 YD 3 TD
WR F. Roberson 11 REC 214 YD 2 TDWR J. Shorter 13 REC 239 YD 0 TD

On defense, Ventrell Miller is the heart and soul. He is playing injured, but in his sixth year on campus he knows that his career might be coming to an end soon and he is making the best of it while he can. This week we will see Jaydon Hill return from a season-ending injury and get the start over Avery Helm. On the opposite corner we have Jason Marshall, who has been doing a great job locking down that side of the field. Kamari Wilson gets his first start at safety opposite of Rashad Torrence. If the Gators get a comfortable lead we may see increased playing time from youngsters NT Jalen Lee, NT Jaelin Humphries, JACK Antwaun Powell-Ryland, JACK Lloyd Summerall, MIKE Scooby Williams, MIKE Derek Wingo, STAR Jadarrius Perkins, and STAR Kamari Wilcoxson. The only mystery on the depth chart is the demotion of CB Jalen Kimber, who played rather well last week. It is possible that Kimber has earned a break and is yielding some time to give Jaydon Hill some rehab snaps.
EWUUF
DB E. Doyle 16 SOLO 10 AST 26 TACK 2 PDS R. Torrence 22 SOLO 13 AST 35 TACK 1 PD (leading tackler T. Dean on injured reserve, 36 TACK, 1 PD)
LB J. Banks 4 SOLO 18 AST 22 TACK 1 INTLB A. Burney 17 SOLO 7 AST 24 TACK 3 SACK 1 PD 1 INT
LB D. Tommasini 7 SOLO 14 AST 21 TACKJACK B. Cox 8 SOLO 14 AST 22 TACK
DL M. Johnson 8 SOLO 9 AST 15 TACK 2 SACKMIKE V. Miller 9 SOLO 12 AST 21 TACK

Summary
The Gators have a 97.9% chance of victory. Expect a 52-0 victory for the Gators.

Weather
Hurricane Ian is expected to cut across the state south of Orlando by Thursday afternoon and head off into the Atlantic Ocean.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Wanna believe you're right about where we are at, and how that will manifest in the final score--but then yeah, can't forget about Samford last year.
Then again, there's a new Coach and a whole different vibe around this team since then.
I forget what it's like for us to simply out-talent, out-play, and ultimately way out-SCORE another team of ANY kind.
So we take nothing for granted--and hope the players themselves do the same.
The whole collection of situational details leading up to this one, culminating in that noon Sunday kickoff, could be some kind of "leveling factor"; last year's team managed to barely beat a less-distinguished FCS squad in Samford with no such curves thrown at them, then actually PARTIED in the locker room afterwards like they'd just won the SEC, Coach Mullen leading the celebration.
I had the impression THAT had as much to do with the turn towards his firing as much as anything else.
Having said that, I expect this Coach and his staff to have them properly prepared, respectful of the competition and ready to perform in a determined, business-like fashion...in which case we should be alright for this one.

Escambia94

Florida has the sixth-most number of players in the NFL and CFL right now, and has fluctuated been #2 and #8 in that regard for 30+ years. If we consider the NFL to be elite football, this tells us the talent is there at Florida. What has been missing? Coaching. Yes, Samford was a debacle, but Florida won on sheer talent. That same team went head-to-head with Alabama and was out-coached and beaten by better talent, but the talent level was just a tier below. With better coaching, Florida could have beaten Alabama. When I say better coaching I also mean working on all levels of discipline, which is something the Gators have been missing since 2006, arguably.

Napier’s teams at Louisiana kept up with vastly superior Texas (L 18-38, both teams ranked at #23 and #21), slightly better Iowa State (W, 31-14), and slightly better Mississippi State (L, 28-38). His teams rarely had penalties and they generally did not turn the ball over. Add those qualities to Florida talent and you have a dangerous team. It took Napier a whole year at Louisiana to fix that program (head coach Mark Hudspeth had NCAA violations worse than Dan Mullen). It will take Napier at least a year to fix the Florida program. It will take 4 years to rebuild and improve it. That is the key—McElwain and Mullen were brought in to merely fix the program. Muschamp was brought in to sustain Meyer’s program just as Zook was brought in to sustain Spurrier’s program. Charley Pell, Steve Spurrier, Urban Meyer, and Billy Napier were all brought here to fix and rebuild. Spurrier and Meyer fixed rather quickly and immediately went into rebuilding. Pell was a little slower in the fixing stage and was fired before rebuild kicked in. Napier is showing a lot of characteristics of all them just 10 months and 4 games into the job.

This game should be a good test of team discipline. The distraction of families being hit by Hurricane Ian, the emotion after coming off a road loss, and daily struggles learning Napier’s system can impact that discipline. If Florida stays under 50 yards of penalties they win this game 40+ to 0.

Escambia94

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Florida has the sixth-most number of players in the NFL and CFL right now, and has fluctuated been #2 and #8 in that regard for 30+ years. If we consider the NFL to be elite football, this tells us the talent is there at Florida. What has been missing? Coaching. Yes, Samford was a debacle, but Florida won on sheer talent. That same team went head-to-head with Alabama and was out-coached and beaten by better talent, but the talent level was just a tier below. With better coaching, Florida could have beaten Alabama. When I say better coaching I also mean working on all levels of discipline, which is something the Gators have been missing since 2006, arguably.

Napier’s teams at Louisiana kept up with vastly superior Texas (L 18-38, both teams ranked at #23 and #21), slightly better Iowa State (W, 31-14), and slightly better Mississippi State (L, 28-38). His teams rarely had penalties and they generally did not turn the ball over. Add those qualities to Florida talent and you have a dangerous team. It took Napier a whole year at Louisiana to fix that program (head coach Mark Hudspeth had NCAA violations worse than Dan Mullen). It will take Napier at least a year to fix the Florida program. It will take 4 years to rebuild and improve it. That is the key—McElwain and Mullen were brought in to merely fix the program. Muschamp was brought in to sustain Meyer’s program just as Zook was brought in to sustain Spurrier’s program. Charley Pell, Steve Spurrier, Urban Meyer, and Billy Napier were all brought here to fix and rebuild. Spurrier and Meyer fixed rather quickly and immediately went into rebuilding. Pell was a little slower in the fixing stage and was fired before rebuild kicked in. Napier is showing a lot of characteristics of all them just 10 months and 4 games into the job.

This game should be a good test of team discipline. The distraction of families being hit by Hurricane Ian, the emotion after coming off a road loss, and daily struggles learning Napier’s system can impact that discipline. If Florida stays under 50 yards of penalties they win this game 40+ to 0.
The above is the best overview/summation of the last generation-plus of Gator football that I have encountered.
Clear, concise, and to the point, taken together its logic and view of history builds a solid case for not just our now finally being on the right track, but why we are right to begin to feel good about the future.
You have managed to make sense of much that was "nonsensical" over the years--especially since Meyer's last season here and to some extent everything (every REGIME) that's come since...
Until this one, it now more and more seems.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(PS. Not that this necessarily affects--or matters to--anyone else, but though this game is supposedly to be aired on ESPN PLUS, it doesn't even show on my prime/firestick schedule...
Prime customer service currently has no word on the matter so far when I call in, so for the moment I cannot say whether I will even SEE this one live come Sunday. I will revisit this on gameday--in which case maybe someone can drop some "game commentary" on me via this thread? I may just end up "doing something else" around that time on Sunday, and monitor the ongoing action in that way--and hope to see the game on replay later. I will spare y'all the rant I was about to launch into..."mutter, mutter, curse and growl *#!☆◇*#!!!" will have to suffice for now.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I plan on listening to WRUF looking online.

Thanks...
I have another "potential tip":
Go on YouTube and find a site called
"1st & 10 SHOW - Gators Football vs Eastern Washington"...They claim to be showing this Sunday's game; There is already a site up for it, with a "NOTIFY ME" option you can click on...they are also counting the time off, currently saying (when I found and opened it maybe an hour or so ago) "premieres in 34 hours • October 2 at 10:00 AM • "
For what it's worth, having otherwise found no change on my Sling/Prime/SEC+ guide's scheduling for the game in its original slot on Saturday Oct 1, etc, so far this may be the "likeliest location"--albeit not exactly any kind of "sure thing".
But I will check it out, regardless. IF I find it here or somewhere else, of course, I will share it here on GE at gametime.

Escambia94

Thanks...
I have another "potential tip":
Go on YouTube and find a site called
"1st & 10 SHOW - Gators Football vs Eastern Washington"...They claim to be showing this Sunday's game; There is already a site up for it, with a "NOTIFY ME" option you can click on...they are also counting the time off, currently saying (when I found and opened it maybe an hour or so ago) "premieres in 34 hours • October 2 at 10:00 AM • "
For what it's worth, having otherwise found no change on my Sling/Prime/SEC+ guide's scheduling for the game in its original slot on Saturday Oct 1, etc, so far this may be the "likeliest location"--albeit not exactly any kind of "sure thing".
But I will check it out, regardless. IF I find it here or somewhere else, of course, I will share it here on GE at gametime.
1st and 10 is part of the official Florida Gators YouTube channel. Good show. They do not stream the game due to viewing rights.

WRUF is the official radio broadcast, so they stream the audio for the entire game. Former Gator QB Shane Matthews and current announcer Sean Kelly call the entire game.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
1st and 10 is part of the official Florida Gators YouTube channel. Good show. They do not stream the game due to viewing rights.

WRUF is the official radio broadcast, so they stream the audio for the entire game. Former Gator QB Shane Matthews and current announcer Sean Kelly call the entire game.
Ah...So THAT is why it is set to air at 10:00 am--because this is a PREGAME show? Still...In the past, over the years. I have more than once been able to find such "less attractive" (at least to the national audiences) Gator games with varying "delay-times added" (anywhere from a few moments to, like maybe up to a quarter-HOUR or more!) on YouTube on Gameday; I don't know how these tech-savvy fans manage it, but if I am here but seem to somehow be "seriously lagging" in my commentary, y'all will know why! I MAY therefore stick to my "normal" strategy of NOT mentioning the "how/what/when/WHERES" of it all unless specifically asked--and even then perhaps not until the END of the game...
Suffice it to say NOW that if that appears to be the situation (ie. That I am seemingly commenting "almost live" but slightly "delayed") it is "on YouTube SOMEWHERE"...
So I will continue my efforts, as always, to see the game "live" and TRY to share it with all--but continue "fighting the GOOD FIGHT" regardless!
(I appreciate Shane and RUF's broadcasts no matter what--and I TRY to PURCHASE my viewing-rights properly...but some years you have situations like this one!)

Escambia94

Ah...So THAT is why it is set to air at 10:00 am--because this is a PREGAME show? Still...In the past, over the years. I have more than once been able to find such "less attractive" (at least to the national audiences) Gator games with varying "delay-times added" (anywhere from a few moments to, like maybe up to a quarter-HOUR or more!) on YouTube on Gameday; I don't know how these tech-savvy fans manage it, but if I am here but seem to somehow be "seriously lagging" in my commentary, y'all will know why! I MAY therefore stick to my "normal" strategy of NOT mentioning the "how/what/when/WHERES" of it all unless specifically asked--and even then perhaps not until the END of the game...
Suffice it to say NOW that if that appears to be the situation (ie. That I am seemingly commenting "almost live" but slightly "delayed") it is "on YouTube SOMEWHERE"...
So I will continue my efforts, as always, to see the game "live" and TRY to share it with all--but continue "fighting the GOOD FIGHT" regardless!
(I appreciate Shane and RUF's broadcasts no matter what--and I TRY to PURCHASE my viewing-rights properly...but some years you have situations like this one!)

I understand why the Gator game was pushed to SEC+. The programming is planned way in advance. This game will not have as much national interest as other SEC games. On top of that, Disney is fighting several streaming and satellite TV services effective today, so there is a scramble as people switch providers. The whole thing is a mess. If you already have YouTube+ and Hulu Live you are fine. If you had SlingTV, DishTV, and some others, you will not be able to watch the game. If you live in south Florida you probably are not reacting to the game or watching it on TV.

All that to say: the Florida- EWU game is not a priority for most of the country.

Escambia94

In other news, the Florida Gator football program has 749 program wins since 1906 (according to some records). If they win tomorrow, the Gators will get to 750 total wins faster than any program that started after 1900. The distinction is important because programs that played before 1900 often played teams that did not even belong to universities.

Last edited:

Escambia94

The oldest college football programs in America:
- Rutgers 661–672–42 (.496) since 1869
- Princeton 796–374–51 (.673) since 1869
- Columbia 373–633–43 (.376) since 1870
- Yale 912–384–55 (.695) since 1872
- Harvard 829–383–50 (.677) since 1873
- Tufts 70-103-5 (.405) since 1875
- Penn 845–489–42 (.629) since 1875

Notable teams:
- Alabama 947–333–43 (.732) since 1892
- Georgia 857–428–54 (.660) since 1892
- Texas A&M 759–487–48 (.605) since 1894
- Florida 751–432–40 (.630) since 1906

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I understand why the Gator game was pushed to SEC+. The programming is planned way in advance. This game will not have as much national interest as other SEC games. On top of that, Disney is fighting several streaming and satellite TV services effective today, so there is a scramble as people switch providers. The whole thing is a mess. If you already have YouTube+ and Hulu Live you are fine. If you had SlingTV, DishTV, and some others, you will not be able to watch the game. If you live in south Florida you probably are not reacting to the game or watching it on TV.

All that to say: the Florida- EWU game is not a priority for most of the country.
Yeah--All this is hitting me personally now.
I HAD purposefully set up a tiered-overlap with Sling, plus additional paid extras through Prime that, until now at least had worked well as far as ensuring my having live access to each Gator game each year...but this very dispute has apparently boxed me out this time...I'm watching what I can on YouTube today--but I am getting the distinct impression that our game getting "Ian-moved" to Sunday is the final "nail in the coffin" for my watching that one. We'll find out for sure if someone doesn't circumvent this somehow, but the writing's on the wall: A large chunk of Gator Nation is likely "s.o.l."--and I am likely among them.
So: In which case, RUF it will be.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Personally I am sick of chasing down these "paid loophole/fillers"...I am currently not particularly inclined to do it here in the HOPE it gets me access to "E Wash at UF"!
In fact, right at the moment I am ready to give UP on CFB for today, and revisit all this solely regarding our game Sunday.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Had it on RUF too--but that lagged 15 seconds from the game telecast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema