• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Newton is a player who benefited from a transfer

TenGator1

Gator Fan
I will never forget watching Cam truck (UT Defensive Back) Dennis Rogan in mop up duty in the 2007 SEC opener. I wish Cam Luck

Cam Newton
School: Auburn Tigers
Former school: Florida Gators
Position: Quarterback
Height: 6-foot-6
Weight: 247
Hometown: College Park, Georgia
Buzz: The path to stardom for Newton has been filled with potholes. Florida fans will remember Newton for his days backing up Tim Tebow in 2007. A promising start to his career but trouble with a stolen laptop and a year later Newton left Gainesville for the landscape of Texas. A season as the starting quarterback at Blinn College, a junior college, saw him lead the Buccaneers to the NJCAA National Football Championship. Newton threw for over 3,000 yards and scored 38 TDs in the process. In December, he announced he was attending Auburn. The Tigers are a good fit for Newton. Head coach Gene Chizik and offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn installed a spread offense that fits perfectly into Newton’s style of play. And after losing starting quarterback Chris Todd to graduation, Auburn was looking for someone to fill his shoes.

check out the video of Cam at Blinn College..............

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sp...+Gridiron+365)&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

AK Gator

Gator Fan
I remember Cam Newton making so many Gator fans giddy over the possibilities he presented the offense. He was enough of a bull to go in and take on those short Tebow yards which meant Tebow himself wouldn't get as beat up over the season and, looking forward, everyone was talking about how he and Brantley would form the same type of combo as Leak and Tebow did. So when the whole lap top incident occurred people were extra frustrated because from what they saw, it was just some senseless mess up on Newton's part that cost them a big potential player in the Gator's future.

Looking at him now it is almost as if being removed from the team was a blessing. I read a piece on him a few weeks back about how he has chancged his life since going to the D-II school and eventually as he transferred back to the SEC by going to Auburn. The kid has definitely earned his second chance and didn't have any of it handed to him that's for sure. I'd like to see him do well as a starter just because he seems like a legitimately decent person who got caught in one big confused jumble a couple years back. I naturally would be rooting for the Gators to shut him down completely every time they play him, but against all other teams I wish him well.

TenGator1

Gator Fan
Watch the video of Cam at Blinn.....He looks like Tebow running the ball on the option pitches, although it isn't against the elite athletes in the country. His style makes me wonder what would have been

AK Gator

Gator Fan
Yeah, I don't think we'll be alone in watching Auburn highlights this season Ten. Especially if we ever come up short on a goal line push or a crucial 3rd or 4th down people, though not most thanks to short memories if most fans, will start to wonder about what Newton would have been able to do then.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
A name that won't be on that list: Mitch Mustain.
The best college QB that never was.

Looking back, Brock Berlin was another former Gator QB who didn't live up to all the hype. Steve Spurrier supposedly wanted to build the "Berlin Wall" as an offensive line around him, but somehow he couldn't compete with Rex Grossman for the starting job - in spite of that, I'm glad Berlin held his own in the Orange Bowl win that year against Maryland (2001) when Rex sat out part of that game for violating curfew.

Had it not been for Cam Newton's poor judgment, he could have still been wearing Gator Orange and Blue - our depth chart at QB would have been the envy of all of college football. He filled the same role that Tim Tebow had on our 2006 Gator team, and a Brantley-Newton tandem could have been a lethal weapon on offense.

If Cam Newton does well at Auburn, more power to him. If he can fit well into Gene Chizik's offense, I'd love to see him help another team give Slick Nick Saban a run for his money in the SEC West.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
A name that won't be on that list: Mitch Mustain.
The best college QB that never was.

He got screwed because he went some of his teammates their to Arkansas because their HS coach became Arkansas OC but they had Jones and McFadden so Arkansas ran the ball more though he should have stayed the starter (he was 8-0). Though he didn't do himself any favors by going to USC as supposed to a school where he would get a chance to be the starter though he's one injury away from being a starter. Also about Newton, I think the 2008 Orange and Blue hurt him as well because if I remember he sucked and Tebow who had the flu threw better than him. Good luck to him in Auburn unless he's playing the Gators.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
He got screwed because he went some of his teammates their to Arkansas because their HS coach became Arkansas OC but they had Jones and McFadden so Arkansas ran the ball more though he should have stayed the starter (he was 8-0). Though he didn't do himself any favors by going to USC as supposed to a school where he would get a chance to be the starter though he's one injury away from being a starter. Also about Newton, I think the 2008 Orange and Blue hurt him as well because if I remember he sucked and Tebow who had the flu threw better than him. Good luck to him in Auburn unless he's playing the Gators.

I think Mustain is the best QB at USC, but he will never start over their golden boy Matt Barkley. I'm not sure if he is allowed to transfer now that USC has the penalties, because he already transferred once from Arkansas. But if he can, I think he should transfer to somewhere he will start. That way he at least has a chance to get drafted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema