• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

More or less Percy?

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
Percy had 23 touches last week (10 rushes and 13 receptions). In the two previous games he only had 6 and 7.

Last year everyone complained that our entire offense was just Tebow and Harvin.

So what's your take on the situation this year after seeing a few games? We won the two games where Percy didn't get many touches, and we lost the one game where he had 23 touches. What gives? How many touches should he get in a game?

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Percy should still remain a vital part of our offensive attack, but to avoid predictibility that could stymie our ground/air drives it's important for Tebow to spread the ball around a lot more to his receiver corps and running backs.

gatorfan1005

Gator Fan
we just need to mix it up, i hate to say this but it seems we become a vanilla offense and we need to shake it up b/c we got some great defenses in the sec and we have to keep them on the heels and if we can do that, this offense will be unstopable with all of our skill players , its just trying to figure out whats the best way to utilize them

shandsgator8

VIP Member
If Harvin is getting 10+ yards everytime he touches the ball, keep on giving it to him. The only reason we should ever think about not giving him the ball is if he somehow has a fumbling problem or there's an increased chance of injury.

Jack&Dew

Gator Fan
The Tebow/Percy show will not work on a consistent basis. This is exactly what I was saying last week about the Gator Offense. It is to predictable.

There are so many talented/fast guys on this team that are not being utilized to keep the defenses guessing. It was talked about all summer that the Gators will have the fastest team in College Football. What good is it to have all this speed and not use it?

Please do not get me wrong, both Tebow and Percy are vital aspects of the offense and are very talented. With that said, how hard is it to key on two players? Spread the ball to the other players, go down field, get the defenses to think about more than two players.

Lastly, I know Coach Meyer does not like mistakes or turning the ball over (who does) but I think this is why our offense has looked so vanilla so far this year. He is afraid to put the ball in the hands of the other players. They have to grow up and learn from thier mistakes to make them into great players. There will be turnovers, there will be mistakes, but in the long run (over a season) they will mature and be much larger assets to the team.

Once the Gators establish that they have all these guys that can take it to the house, how will a defense plan against it? If they have no idea where the ball is going to go, Run Middle, Run Outside, Option, Slant Pass, Short Screen, Middle of the Field Slant, Long Post or Corner, this will allow the offense to score in much greater fashion to allow for the mistakes and possible turnovers.

Just my thoughts.

GO GATORS!!!!

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
This offense is way too predictable. Defenses know that our offense cannot play from behind.

We don't use any of our advantages. We run no reverses and we do nothing to get playmakers (not named Harvin) into the open field. Instead, we run our playmakers right into the line of scrimmage, which makes no sense.

Imo, using just 2 players is also going to hurt Coach Meyer in recruiting. What recruit is going to want to come to UF to not get any touches? UM has the recruits that he said he wanted, he's gotten three top 5 recruiting classes, but he won't give any of those players touches. I hope he realizes that Harvin won't be here forever, and that he's going to have to find another player to step up.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
The Tebow/Percy show will not work on a consistent basis. This is exactly what I was saying last week about the Gator Offense. It is to predictable.

There are so many talented/fast guys on this team that are not being utilized to keep the defenses guessing. It was talked about all summer that the Gators will have the fastest team in College Football. What good is it to have all this speed and not use it?

Please do not get me wrong, both Tebow and Percy are vital aspects of the offense and are very talented. With that said, how hard is it to key on two players? Spread the ball to the other players, go down field, get the defenses to think about more than two players.

Lastly, I know Coach Meyer does not like mistakes or turning the ball over (who does) but I think this is why our offense has looked so vanilla so far this year. He is afraid to put the ball in the hands of the other players. They have to grow up and learn from thier mistakes to make them into great players. There will be turnovers, there will be mistakes, but in the long run (over a season) they will mature and be much larger assets to the team.

Once the Gators establish that they have all these guys that can take it to the house, how will a defense plan against it? If they have no idea where the ball is going to go, Run Middle, Run Outside, Option, Slant Pass, Short Screen, Middle of the Field Slant, Long Post or Corner, this will allow the offense to score in much greater fashion to allow for the mistakes and possible turnovers.

Just my thoughts.

GO GATORS!!!!

Great post; I'm so sick and tired of hearing "it's the coaches' fault" over and over again.

Tebow has an arsenal of playmakers on offense; he needs to utilize ALL of thenm and not just Percy Harvin, but also our offiesive line and others not eligible to receive on a given play need to make sure they are blocking effectively to open up the lanes so plays can be made. It comes down to the fundamentals, and at the college level there's no reason why they can't be executed properly.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
Great post; I'm so sick and tired of hearing "it's the coaches' fault" over and over again.

Tebow has an arsenal of playmakers on offense; he needs to utilize ALL of thenm and not just Percy Harvin, but also our offiesive line and others not eligible to receive on a given play need to make sure they are blocking effectively to open up the lanes so plays can be made. It comes down to the fundamentals, and at the college level there's no reason why they can't be executed properly.

But that is a problem that coaching can fix. If Coach Meyer and his staff can completely change the old Tebow that wanted to run over people into the Tebow that is now a pocket passer, then they could very easily coach him and tell him in practice to spread the ball more.

And even if Tebow doesn't utilize WR playmakers, that still doesn't explain why the coaching staff doesn't utilize the RB playmakers and call plays that get our running backs into space.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
But that is a problem that coaching can fix. If Coach Meyer and his staff can completely change the old Tebow that wanted to run over people into the Tebow that is now a pocket passer, then they could very easily coach him and tell him in practice to spread the ball more.

And even if Tebow doesn't utilize WR playmakers, that still doesn't explain why the coaching staff doesn't utilize the RB playmakers and call plays that get our running backs into space.

Tebow still needs to take some initiative out there to make plays as well - and not just by getting the ball in Harvin's hands. A good quarterback will read the movement of the defense out there and make the best decision that can result in a play being made. He can't be babysat by the coaches.

It's a two-way street. The coaches can teach and develop a player, but then going forward the player needs to perform and demonstrate what he's learned.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema