• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Meyer staying in Gainesville a Doomsday clock for Muschamp

G8RB8R

VIP Member
Meyer staying in Gainesville a Doomsday clock for Muschamp - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com

So says this fellow from CBS Sports. He's probably right.

Meanwhile, new Florida football coach Will Muschamp will get whiplash from looking over his shoulder. And Gator Nation will get hoarse from shrieking for Meyer's return once Muschamp hits a rough patch. Which, as a rookie head coach making his debut in the brutal SEC, he will. Probably in October 2011, when the Gators play Alabama, LSU, Auburn and Georgia, only one of those games in Gainesville. Imagine the Gators going 2-2 or even 1-3 in that stretch. Can you hear what would happen next? I can:

Bring back Urban! He's rested, he's ready, and he's still living in Gainesville!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Won't be me. Or you. Or Escambia'94. Any others? How 'bout y'all out there? Let's make a pact:
We'll call ourselves "The Voice of Reason", and we'll go to as many sites as we can between us and remind folks of "The Big Picture", if and when that "rough patch" hits and panicked idiocy rears its (inevitable) ugly head. OK?

G8RB8R

VIP Member
Well, a positive view of that part of the schedule:

Bama is in the SWAMP - slight edge because it's in the Swamp, Bama will have new QB - Edge Gators

Auburn turns back into a pumpkin after this year - toss up game

Georgia...anyone worried about them? - the guaranteed win! LOL Edge Gators

LSU could be a bad game for us. - Trouble trouble trouble at Deaf Valley. Edge LSU

Winning 2 out of those 4 isn't as bad it sounds, but we could very well win 3 of these 4.

Next year is not near as bad as it sounds, as most of the other upper elites will be rebuilding, too. There's a real good possiblity that we end up in Atlanta next December. Heck, 3 of those 4 games are against teams from the west. Only South Carolina has a chance of an east team beating us, and that's because Lattimore will be back (unless he gets arrested or something). Of course, just MHO.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
After watching in frustration and horror as this PAST season disintegrated into a a manic-depressive nightmare, I am somewhat gun shy about making any predictions about how things will go in terms of wins and losses NEXT year. I'm still at the point of trying to find a certain "balanced patience" in wait-and-see mode while our new Head Coach fills out his staff and then fills out our team. Then we'll begin to get an idea of what kind of team this will be and all the details of what its identity will be, beyond all the rumors and speculation.
I'm determined to try and control my inclination to analyze and prognosticate until then. Obviously this will be difficult for me, and will mean turning over a new leaf that I have meant to turn over before--and seldom succeeded.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Year 1 of a new coach I do not expect Muschamp or Jesus himself to coach a flawless SEC schedule. Urban Meyer spoiled us by getting us a national championship in his second year, so I will not fall into the trap of only giving him two years. I will not call for his head unless we look like the 2010 team two years in a row. Unless he hires Addazio or Addazio's twin brother (STAB = Steve's Twin Addazio Brother?), I doubt it will get to that point. I would guess we will go 7-5 again next year and lose a couple of those October games, if not all, while we adjust to a new coach.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Year 1 of a new coach I do not expect Muschamp or Jesus himself to coach a flawless SEC schedule. Urban Meyer spoiled us by getting us a national championship in his second year, so I will not fall into the trap of only giving him two years. I will not call for his head unless we look like the 2010 team two years in a row. Unless he hires Addazio or Addazio's twin brother (STAB = Steve's Twin Addazio Brother?), I doubt it will get to that point. I would guess we will go 7-5 again next year and lose a couple of those October games, if not all, while we adjust to a new coach.

Aw man, you're not makin' it easy for me, throwing out there a number like that to start the ball rolling on, well, on what, exactly? Lowered expectations? I haven't gotten even THAT far in my down-the-road thinking. Just not enough empirical data has accumulated as of yet. Don't worry, though, it's on its way.
Meanwhile, I hope you won't mind if I cite you as an "unnamed source" who "informed us" that "Jesus himself" has been mentioned, contacted and is being considered for the vacant Gator Offensive Coordinator-position? It would be about as reliably well-founded as most of the other claims from those who "have it on good authority" have turned out to be, right?

Escambia94

Aw man, you're not makin' it easy for me, throwing out there a number like that to start the ball rolling on, well, on what, exactly? Lowered expectations? I haven't gotten even THAT far in my down-the-road thinking. Just not enough empirical data has accumulated as of yet. Don't worry, though, it's on its way.
Meanwhile, I hope you won't mind if I cite you as an "unnamed source" who "informed us" that "Jesus himself" has been mentioned, contacted and is being considered for the vacant Gator Offensive Coordinator-position? It would be about as reliably well-founded as most of the other claims from those who "have it on good authority" have turned out to be, right?

Sure! Use me as a reliable source! I'm not crazy, at least that's not what my psychiatrist says. He says that I'm not schizophrenic--my personality is a three-headed quarterback monster, like the Brantley/Burton/Reed triple option.

As I mentioned elsewhere, my expectations have been broken. No way I am okay with the great Urban Meyer leading us through this 2010 season. We don't know the OC. We don't know if the HC will also be DC. We aren't even sure what Meyer is doing in his advisory role. Despite this, I have HOPE that with one year of growing pains that we will be back on top again. I look at that October run in 2011 and think of trouble. Before this year I would not have been worried. I'm not getting my hopes up again, but I am going to be more patient.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That's probably wise. But WAY too sane. And COMPLETELY unrealistic, in practice--I went into LAST summer with that kind of "patient transitional year"-attitude, and by the time the season started had bought into the "Top-5, just-keep-it-close-in-Tuscaloosa-and-we'll-beat-'em-in-Atlanta"-scenario. Ha! Now I'm knitting baskets at "The Farm"--they've just started letting me out on weekends.
I WANT to take a patient, even-handed approach; I'll do my best to remember and learn...but you know how it will be--all the right moves and exciting new players AND coaches AND a re-energized Gator team AND WHOA! did you see them in the Orange and Blue Game we got something SPECIAL brewing over there etc. etc. etc.
Hard to make and keep THAT promise.

im pretty sure we're gonna have a good defense next yr

and we got alot of playmakers at WR on deck(debose, hines, dunkley, patton, clarke, dunbar) we just need a QB and a OC that can call the right plays for us to make it work

i'm sorry i just dont beleive these guys couldn't learn the routes last yr

TraderGator

Gator Fan
I guarantee I won't ever be one calling for Coach Meyer to come back!

He tried to cut-out when he saw how tough it would be this year and then did after the crappy season he produced with Buddy Adazzio as OC.

I seriously question whether he is such a "genius" Coach without Tim Tebow (probably best-ever college player), Percy Harvin and about two dozen other NFL starters on his college teams.

Any good coach can consistently win with superior talent, but it takes a great coach to consistently win with average players. Coach Meyer showed he can't win much at all unless he has NFL players vs. college joes.

And that doesn't even mention all the lies, double-talk and completely closing off the Gators to fans until they pay on gamedays . . .

Escambia94

Part of coaching is finding good talent and helping that talent reach maximum potential. Just having Tim Tebow on the team did not guarantee success--he had to be coached into greatness. Percy Harvin was good, but we did well even when he missed games due to migraines. Let's not take away from Urban Meyer's legacy. He was a good coach that succeeded at Bowling Green, Utah, and Florida, so we cannot simply write off his successes as being the product of Tim Tebow and Percy Harvin. Urban Meyer is a head coach that brought two championships with two variations of his staff and players.

I will complain about his being closed off to fans and his double-talk, but his double-talk was not a problem until this year. Look through his press conferences from 2005-2009--they were not that bad. I will complain that he was stubborn about Addazio, but then again Addazio and Heater are the only coaches that did not abandon him from his 2005 staff.

I am not going to turn on Urban Meyer. He did one thing that Steve Spurrier did not--he built up a program that can easily be tweaked by a new coach. He expanded our recruiting base. He updated the players' facilities. He helped expand Florida's TV coverage. He got us exposure in ESPN commercials. He helped push the Florida brand outside the Southeast. None of these things were done in Zook's era, and very little of it was done in Spurrier's era. We should be grateful.

Okay, bring on the MusCHOMP era!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema