• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

McElwain is the new ball coach

He talks a good game, we are all waiting patiently for results.

But I have high hopes, and I am committed to Coach McElwain, win, loose or draw.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
To be fair (and even-keeled), ex-Coach Will "talked a good game" too when HE arrived. I was optimistic then, as I am now, only this time it's all too fresh...
(And I do mean "ALL": the last dozen years since being damn near where we are right now, about to drop back to semi-irrelevance, the "3rd best of those fine Florida programs", and instead plunge into the amazing ride of hopes dashed, promises made and met: rise, glory, flail, fall, failure on the first (extended)try--Zook then, Muschamp this time--and finally, the program again down and teetering on the edge of WAY down, once more grabbing the extended hand of a "hot-handed young Coach-from-the-West" whom J. Foley has apparently ALSO once again had his eye on and wallet open for if/when things came to this)
...ALL too fresh in my mind to do anything but be "reservedly optimistic". What McElwain says, even "how things look" in terms of the early going I intend to mostly watch and wait on, see WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS--above all for the results on the field.
Oh, we can't help but analyze and judge our progress in all the smaller steps along the way. It was time for a change, maybe "PAST time" but, all in all, about the fastest and (so far at least) seemingly smoothest we could have hoped for. And way I saw/see it I think we got the "kind of guy" that gives us the best chance of a relatively fast turn-around of the kind most of us were/are looking for: Adding an exciting strike-from-anywhere offense to the enormous talent and further potential of our defense, and making consistent competence, confidence and composure (on the sidelines AND the field) our advantage--rather than it's regular breakdown or outright vacuum our downfall.
First will come filling some obvious holes, of course. How our new Coach and his staff do that will be tough, "interesting" to say the least--and at this point probably WON'T be just a simple matter of "flipping a few 5-star prospects". In fact, I am not counting on it being so quickly or clearly accomplished at all right off. We'll get some breaks our way there, I think--but most of the "difference makers", even some of what may turn out to be the most effective of those "late grabs", may not be so obvious in February. There'll be some "reaches" (to say the least), less-heralded commits and invitees from all over, that won't do much for how the media "observers" rate and rank our class. But as I say, some of 'em, along with several motivated-but-near-forgottens coming back from injury, plus one or two here and there switching sides-of-the-ball (especially in building a new, what HAS to eventually be a deep and powerful O-line if we are to succeed), all pulled together and quietly, relentlessly coached-up into the kind of UNIT we haven't seen here since the Leak-thru-Tebow era, and...well, you get the idea. And trust me: Coach Mac has had this "idea" since he began in his heart-of-hearts to lean towards accepting the challenge in the first place--and stepped up, "Top Gator".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema