• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jordan Reed

Jack&Dew

Gator Fan
Picture this:

Brantley, Reed, and Driskle all standing behind center next year. Who will you key on? Now put either Demps, Rainey, Debose, and/ or Burton back there with either Reed or Driskle.

How do you defend so many weapons? This does not include the more experienced receivers.

I think we are just now seeing little glimpses of what is yet to come.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
There's a lot of politics involved. Lots of factors. First, JB put up sick numbers in high school. That's what gets the ball rolling. All of the following stuff doesn't matter without that. It gives him a resume to stand on. Then you have his family legacy at UF. His father played there, his uncle was a star there. But most importantly, his extended family donates A LOT of money to the school. Besides all that, he waited patiently behind Tebow for a long time. Then when he got his chance this season things haven't gone his way but not once did he blame other players or the coaching staff when we all know there is lots of blame to put on them. So in the end, it's not even up for discussion during coaching staff meetings. It's already decided that Brantley is our starter. This year and next. The only question is how many snaps he is going to share with the others. Whether you agree with the situation or not, that's just how it is. It's written in stone.

"...written in stone". No consideration for either the evidence of his actual performance as a Gator starter OR his lack of leadership skills...not to mention facing reality regarding the true nature of the offense that is run here at University of Florida, vague plans and intentions to the contrary.
I get the "politics" part, but at some point the Head Coach MUST look to the health of the program, its success now and in the future--he gets paid serious $ to put that first, even if it angers some folks, as it always will.
Now, all you say about JB and his family may very well be true; certainly he's waited patiently, never rocked the boat, does everything "the right way"--except perform on the field. As I've said, he has been "a good soldier" through it all; if life were always "fair", that would have been enough to ensure his success. But Urban Meyer can't put the future of the program on hold just so John Brantley and his family are satisfied that he was given every "fair" opportunity to lead this team. Perhaps there are ways for him to excel in the offense-to-be, but that has to be allowed to evolve, complete with the other weapons and emerging stars that have now become available--which emphatically includes Jordan Reed at quarterback.

The Zooker

VIP Member
"...written in stone". No consideration for either the evidence of his actual performance as a Gator starter OR his lack of leadership skills...not to mention facing reality regarding the true nature of the offense that is run here at University of Florida, vague plans and intentions to the contrary.
I get the "politics" part, but at some point the Head Coach MUST look to the health of the program, its success now and in the future--he gets paid serious $ to put that first, even if it angers some folks, as it always will.
Now, all you say about JB and his family may very well be true; certainly he's waited patiently, never rocked the boat, does everything "the right way"--except perform on the field. As I've said, he has been "a good soldier" through it all; if life were always "fair", that would have been enough to ensure his success. But Urban Meyer can't put the future of the program on hold just so John Brantley and his family are satisfied that he was given every "fair" opportunity to lead this team. Perhaps there are ways for him to excel in the offense-to-be, but that has to be allowed to evolve, complete with the other weapons and emerging stars that have now become available--which emphatically includes Jordan Reed at quarterback.

We're talking about the same Meyer that's keeping Addazio as the Offensive Coordinator.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes, but Zooker, you yourself have noted how Coach Meyer appears to be shifting focus and influence to other individuals AS WELL AS exerting greater control over the direction the offense is headed. He can do that quietly, to a great extent behind-the-scenes with the off-field changes we're talking about here.
Not so when it comes to the starting QB, the leader of that offense. There are SOME things that can be viewed as more "evolutionary", even "secretly transitional"--the "3-Headed-Monster" can be viewed that way. He can bring it in without committing himself or the team to a dramatic, irreversible change--at least it buys some time to see if that change MUST take place, I suppose.
I guess what I'm hoping is that Urban Meyer does recognize where things may have to be headed, but it is in his nature to find honorable ways of getting there without betraying the trust and loyalty of those who have given it to him; ultimately, he will find a way to SUCCEED, even if that means that some will hurt. I suppose HE feels he's walking a tightrope, but from here it looks to me more like a razor's edge: at some point, you have to jump, or get sliced right up the middle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema