• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

John Brantley's Injury

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
It sounds serious. We have poked fun at Brantley a lot here, but he has never wussed out on us. He played hurt in '10, and was dinged up a bit this season. He was having a career day up to that point. My guess (no, I am not a doctor...this is just another fan speculating...) is that he really is hurt. Whether or not it is a sprain, he is in pain and in all likelihood will sit this week.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
High ankle strains, otherwise know as "the Dreaded High Ankle Strain", are apparently WORSE than they sound. Persistent and not very responsive to the normal rehab-regimens, this injury can keep an athlete out of action for an extended period, and at considerably under 100% effective for much longer than that--slow, weak and easily "tweaked" for further damage. All KINDS of problems and dangers for a quarterback. Don't count on seeing #12 in October, and given the further dangers, any "miraculous recovery" would not only likely be a foolish risk, but just as likely to be short-lived in ANY event. No, we are now into (depending on a number of factors) either a condensed, pressure-packed training period for next year's starting quarterback, and/or in-game auditions in order to determine the top candidate for that role after all.
I had some pain-and-disappointment-fueled ideas about this last night, but in the light of day I see their limitations, and where they were coming from in the first place. I'm going to talk about this as part of a new thread I will post shortly (working title: "From the Bottom of the Cliff...").

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
Yeah the high ankle sprain is bad. Well, it can be bad. But he could come back to play in about 2 weeks from it, just won't really be at 100%.

If I remember correctly, Percy Harvin had a few of these high ankle sprains and was able to play with only missing a week or so.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It's on the defense, man--let's face it. Gotta do a better job of EVERYTHING at Death Valley. One ray of hope: their offense is NOT the power-game that gives our "D" so much trouble. WE cover and tackle better, there's a chance.
Have to score some points, tho'. Notice that Coach says "...All the QBs will get reps in practice during the week, and the best guy will start and play in games..." He stresses that they are happy with "Jeff's progress", that he's shown well in practice, but the door is not shut on the others. Driskel gets the support of the coaches and the team, but he has to do something with it. They'll be coming after him, trying to rattle him, and maybe that's also an opportunity: as a big kid, a mobile QB that won't hesitate to "move the pocket" or break "containment" and run, if he can ALSO remember to look for his receivers a good portion of the time he could screw up their defensive plan. They used to call it "scrambling", after all.

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
You know I feel like :poop: after bashing JB in the start of the season. Shoot I was really getting my chomps set for the Top five this yr.. Now I hit this gut wrenching feeling of hoping we finish just with a .500 av.. My how things CHANGE on us but If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
You know E it just blows.

Quick question for you. No where out there do I find hard facts on his injury. Do you think this is some top secrete thing to keep everyone off balance like Steve S. used to do? I remember a few of my friends used to tell me they couldn't trust S.S. comments on injuries cause they would either get better or worse without notice. Plus he used to keep somethings pretty tight lipped. I'm not implying JB isn't hurt But it seems to me like BOOM is just keeping it closer to those who need to know then those who would like to know. With comments like we will keep you posted every Mon..

It leaves you thinking????

Escambia94

Since you are not required to report the extent of an injury, it makes sense to give the bare minimum amount of information. It protects the coaches, the element of surprise, and the privacy of the player.

He has been seen on campus in an air boot, so it is not fake. Besides, if JB4 wants to get drafted, he must show that he is not injured seriously, and must prove it later in the season when cleared or at the NFL combine.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
In this case, I THINK Coach's low-key, "we'll update with reports each Monday"-thing is part of an effort to move on, while minimizing the "finality" of not only the injury, but everything around it--remember his 1st comment after the game as he walked from the field: "The injury to John seemed to really take the wind from our sails." It is the psyche of the team that most concerns him now--he saw how that 1 event affected every other aspect of our play from then on, and he needs to get 'em all to "turn the page". You know that expression, "Don't lose the last game twice"; our Head Coach is doing all HE can to make sure that one injury don't keep beatin' us the whole damn season.
Weis and his young charge Jeff Driskel (heretofore "JD") will have a large say in that as far as the large hole it left at the center of the offense, but this is where Coach Boom means to flip the team's "vibe", get 'em to rally together, dig in and climb out of that hole. #12 didn't play defense. Likewise the "O"-line needs to protect the new kid AND create holes and lanes for the RBs more than EVER.
How the rest of this season turns out WILL depend on JD's response to Weis' tutelege, how fast he comes along, but that is NOT the only factor. He's surrounded by people who believe in him and want him to do well: they have to raise THEIR game also. I'm betting we've got the best Head Coach possible for THAT job.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
http://espn.go.com/college-football...brantley-florida-gators-top-ranked-lsu-tigers

Driskel, who is dealing with a sprained ankle, has played in four games this season.<<O NO......
Gators offensive coordinator Charlie Weis talks about UF's quarterbacks heading into LSU game

http://www.gatorzone.com/carter/blog/540

I think he's looking every where. Which is good. I think.....

I THOUGHT JD tweaked something in his leg or foot at some point there early in the 2nd half--then heard nothing more about it until YOU mentioned it, SP. Then there's that question I suppose we'll be asking during and after EVERY game this season: "What's happening with Demps?" He's been banged up in every game so far; the tackle that took him out against the Tide was just a clean take down on the sideline.
Yes, we'll need to get some of those "Big Power Runners", but right now we've got a couple of the fastest small backs in the game, and we need them now more than ever with an inexperienced freshman running the offense.
At the same time, this does raise some other questions: What ABOUT our other RBs? Gilisslee has ALWAYS looked pretty good, more of a tackle-breaking, through-the-middle downhill runner than the others when he's been on the field. And what about Mack Brown? Not to be a jerk about it, but shouldn't he be coming around by now? I remember all the hype, the highlight reel moves (powering through tacklers AND break-away speed once free)...I THINK this is his 3rd year, at LEAST, and we NEED someone like that, like what he was "supposed" to be--is this one a BUST?
Like y'all, I expect Weis to have JD rolling out a fair amount, and it wouldn't surprise me if both TEs (Burton and Chistiansen) were in more formations and more involved in the passing game than before. He'll want to get his young QB comfortable back there and not pulling everything down to run, and two big and sure-handed targets (who, not incidentally are also blockers on the line) can protect him before releasing and/or can help seal off the ends for the sweep, screen or swing pass.
Weis said he'd keep it simple, so the above plus the Wildcat, a couple of long pass plays and JD's own improvised running may amount to our whole offense this Saturday. With our defense acquitting itself better than it did in the last game, do you think it's enough?

Escambia94

I really do think they could keep it simple. In the 15 scripted plays Start with the little running backs, mix in the big ones, let JD run a bit and when they crowd the box, start throwing. By then, the nerves should be gone and they can adjust the play calling.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema