• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

I'm Backing Off A Previous Statement

The Zooker

VIP Member
I like to think I'm good at interpreting Meyer's press conference statements. As I've stated before, he's never really honest with what he says to the media. Lately I was picking up strong indicators that Loeffler would be calling the plays by the time we kickoff in Jacksonville. But now I'm not so sure. My intel department has been working around the clock lately on deciphering the latest. And it appears that Addazio is going to be the offensive coordinator until the end of the season. Hold yourself together. There's more. The good news is that Meyer is also backing off a previous statement. He's going to start micromanaging again. Mostly just on offense though. It looks like Meyer is going to be making personnel decisions for each play that is called. He will also be putting together new plays and scripting drives. From what I've gathered from his latest statements he is unhappy with Addazio but he will not demote him. He will instead overcome Addazio's ineptitude by basically becoming the co-offensive coordinator. You can also expect to see Meyer completely taking over playcalling duties when we're in a bad spot. Up until now I was sure the Loeffler would be in charge. My interpretations of prior press releases was still good. But I was wrong on how a solution would be put in place. I didn't expect Meyer to put himself in charge of fixing the offense. You can expect better performances now. That's for sure. So go out and celebrate.

The Zooker

VIP Member
I think Meyer is hesitant to put Loeffler in because he is afraid Loeffler would gradually shift our offense into more of a pro style set than the Meyer's favorite spread option. I think Loeffler could coach the offense as a spread option though but still put in some nice deep throw plays. I think variety is a good thing for offenses. Keep the defense on their toes. Loeffler did a great job of that in the Sugar Bowl.

SEC_Supreme

Gator Fan
I just don't understand what his loyalty to Addazio is. If he wants to micromanage, wouldn't he be just as well off with Loeffler even if UM is afraid he'd try to go more pro set? At least he'd know Loeffler's play calling would be more successful than Addazio's.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I'm past the "loyalty to Addazio issue". What's with the fear of letting Loeffler call more pro-style plays? As long as you have a strong-armed QB, it makes sense to throw down the field on a couple plays if and only if the receiver is open the blocking is good. We know the blocking is bad, so the alternative is to put in a fullback is they do in this brand new invention called the I-formation, or don't release the tight end and make him block. Yeah, tight ends can block, too! I saw it on TV once. I know it's true! Zooker is right, Loeffler called "passing plays" out of the spread-option formation--no threat of taking over the offense and converting it to a pro-style. The problem will be that nobody has time to throw anything but a tantrum behind this o-line, so good luck with that. Common sense says to move to an I-formation because of the bad blocking. Okay, fine, let's stick with our bread-and-butter, the spread-option. So, I read up on the spread-option to get some insight into what Urban Meyer may tweak for the UGA game.

Urban Meyer's new plays had better include "blocking". "Football For Dummies" says this blocking thing seems to be important. We should make that one of the scripted plays. "Football For Dummies, the Advanced Course" also says that sending a 190-pound running back up the middle works GREAT if he is the fastest man in college football, not so great if he is hurt and is not fast enough to hit the hole that is not there because we have the worst offensive line in Division 1 football. The script might want to address that. The Book also says that a running back that drops 5,327 consecutive swing passes (Moody) should either be a) benched or b) shot. Chances are he will not a) catch the 5,328th swing pass or b) get drafted by the NFL or c) get laid for making the game-winning catch. The Book says that the spread-option depends on a running QB, the same offense that apparently Urban Meyer is sticking to if we are reading his tea leaves correctly. This means that a) Burton is getting promoted or b) Brantley is going to run. What will JB's tombstone read? "Here lies Johnny Brantley. We think he would have been a great NFL quarterback, but he got killed in college when he tried to scramble across the middle of the field and was nailed before he could hook-slide."

Okay, I will wait 10 days and see what happens. I do know that Urban Meyer is on thin ice here because he is a) not listening to me b) not maximizing his players' skills c) micro-managine a little late in the season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema